Volume 10

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Zyzzyva165
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Volume 10

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Highlight of Chapter 1:
Spoiler! :
"That time when we were on the boat, after touching my buttocks, and with those hand movements, he even ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-caressed me to the top..."
"“Hand movements? I still remember them well..."
LOLZ. I wonder what they meant. :lol:
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Re: Volume 10

Post by Nerevarine »

wow this chapter was great, thnx zy
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Nerevarine wrote:wow this chapter was great, thnx zy
:D

By the way, for those who had already read the chapter, I would like to inform a translation mistake. The Japanese raw was ambiguous, and I translated the way I thought it should be. But looking back at the context, I realized I was totally wrong:
Chapter 1- The Ostland wrote:Looks like she was still very cross with what happened last night. Well, it is understandable, since she had witnessed the touching of lips between Henrietta, the one she adores, and me, her familiar.

But......do I have any right to be angry at Louise?

Saito's heart denied strongly. No, not at all.
That sentence should be:

"But......does Louise have any right to be angry at me?''

My mistake, sorry. :oops:
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
Hubb
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hubb »

No need to say sorry but, it does make a lot more sense now. Thank you very much for taking time to do this chapter; it turned better then I thought it'd be.
souljamike
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by souljamike »

Thanks Zyzzyva! After volume 9's epilogue I couldn't wait to read this chapter and it didn't disappoint!
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

doumooooooooo!
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

This may sound trivial, but I would like to hear you guys' opinions.

I am still struggling to find a suitable verb for the sound Sylphid makes, "Kyui!". It is obviously not a roar, and I disagree with the previous translations which use "bark". Currently, I am using "purr", to which I will stick until I get a better one. Any ideas people?
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

Zyzzyva165 wrote:This may sound trivial, but I would like to hear you guys' opinions.

I am still struggling to find a suitable verb for the sound Sylphid makes, "Kyui!". It is obviously not a roar, and I disagree with the previous translations which use "bark". Currently, I am using "purr", to which I will stick until I get a better one. Any ideas people?
Since this isn't a pure English translation, mainly noting the -dono, -sama, blah blah... Anyway, since it's a dragon trying to make a 'cute' sound, 'Kyui' would work fine in my opinion. Closest thing I can think to 'Kyui' is meow, and a dragon meowing is... odd. Might think of something later.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

In volume 10 Chapter 2:

Would it be fine to replace "executer" by "executioner"?

In the Japanase raws it's 死刑執行人 = Executioner
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Vaelis wrote: Would it be fine to replace "executer" by "executioner"?
...I was looking for that word. Thanks Vaelis. :D
souljamike
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by souljamike »

Yeah, I agree with enigma. "Kyui" sounds like a great sound for Sylphid to make. It's easy to imagine Sylphid making such a cute sound, and I don't think there's anything comparable to it in english. Maybe when Sylphid's an adult she'll make a "Kroarrrrr" sound ;)
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

...What I need is actually a verb. Of course I will retain the "Kyui" sound, but let say in this sentence:

"Kyui!" Sylphid XXXed.

What would you put in place of XXX?

I suggest purr, which I would use unless someone gives me a more appropriate one.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

I'm not a native speaker but doesn't purr when used for animals mean an expression of pleasure?

yelp:not very suitable for dragons but can be used

cry:To utter a characteristic sound or call. Used of an animal
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Guest wrote:I'm not a native speaker but doesn't purr when used for animals mean an expression of pleasure?

cry:To utter a characteristic sound or call. Used of an animal
Well, "cry" does sound like an alternative. A rather neutral one, or tending more towards the rough side. Yeah. I believe that the author wants to express pleasure for Sylphid's "Kyui".
No.
souljamike
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by souljamike »

Ah yeah, cry is a great verb to use. It can be used for all animal sounds lol. Purr's great too but that's only if it's a soft kyui that's said in pleasure. Thanks again for the translations Zyzzy!

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”