Collaboration of Working Scripts

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Collaboration of Working Scripts

Post by onizuka-gto »

I wish to discuss the method of communicating the translated scripts,

I want to know that when work load has been assigned, how will the chapters be processed?

Will you wish to use the Baka-Tsuki site as a portal to be able to easily pool the working scripts, as it is a logical system for easy editing, as we by far has the largest number of Editors at disposal, we can quickly clean a script.

But at what leave of acceptabilty will you allow the script be viewed?

While we at Baka-Tsuki are unashamed about producing fast & rough scripts, simply because our Editorial teams will sort it out.

I will accept that you may not like this, and wish to release them in a more presentable state.

For the record I'am more then happen to let you release a .pdf/png/.jpg scanlation version, Baka-Tsuki is happy enough with the script, and the few images that are usual in light novels. as long as it will show up on our site.

In light of that, what wil lyou do when our version evolves?

One of the problems we have experienced at Baka-Tsuki is that for different Translators different English words are used for the same Japanese one, and this can lead to confusion.

We solved this by allowing the translators to continue and instead rely on the editors to agree on a standard intepretation of the translation, and then to apply these guideline across all the scripts.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Sushi-Y
Astral Realm

Post by Sushi-Y »

Even though it's a collaboration, it doesn't mean a giant scramble where everyone is trying to do everything at the same time.

Workloads should be divided by the chapter, with a "team" of translators, editors, proofreaders, etc. assigned to each chapter.

Preferably, each volume (chapter) would get it's own subforum/thread, to keep things streamlined.

For the translation scripts, they can be uploaded at an agreed location (perhaps in the wiki, or maybe in the forums) by the translator(s). From there, the editors and proofreaders will be able to access them.

As for the teams that want to release the novel translation as scanlations, I don't see any problem with it as long as you have willing editors.

Now, the final problem is about getting an agreement between translators on the translation of specific terms and names.

I propose a thread here, marked as "Zero no Tsukaima Terminologies" or something, where all names and special terms from the novel would be listed, as well as their translations. All translators would be required to look at the thread and reach a final agreement on the translations to use.

For example, an entry could look like:

ガンダールブ - Gandalfr

or

竜の羽衣 - Dragon's Raiment

or

カトレヤ ラ・ヴァリエール - Kattleya La Valliere

something like that.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Good idea Sushi-Y, just like our guideline page is for.

It is best to list out the terminologie clearly, so that the editors can standardlized the script quickly without hesistation.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”