Zero no Tsukaima Unified Guidelines

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Zero no Tsukaima Unified Guidelines

Post by onizuka-gto »

Hello, in this thread we will discuss terminalogy, the correct speeling and words ofthe translation.

It is best that we get this out of the way, as at Baka-Tsuki has experienced, failure to not lay down these issues first will result in delay, and unnecessary disagreements.

For example, an entry could look like:

ガンダールブ - Gandalfr

or

竜の羽衣 - Dragon's Raiment

or

カトレヤ ラ・ヴァリエール - Kattleya La Valliere

something like that.

This does not apply to Translators, they shoud not be pressured to change their translation habits, it is up to the editors to crrect the script.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Chapter 01, page 13

Post by onizuka-gto »

I have a headache. Saito said as he shook his head.
Is he talking to himself outloud or in his head?
Since no speech marks i assume it's in his head.

"which commoner are you from?"
is she asking him which commoner location he is from, or what type of commoner is he?
i think she is referring to which region of the this world he is from.

Louise of Zero

How are we going to standardlized this phrase?

Zero Louise
Louise the Zero

I favour "Zero Louise"

I don't see any building to symblize it.
it seems to me like Saito is trying to say, that he does not recognise any building typical to a school campus
Was there any location like this in Japan?
I interpret this as saito saying was there any location like this in Japan, with a western castle on a wide open field....

Let me try it again, or please and shaking her arm wildly.
I have no idea what this is suppose to mean.

Is saito trying to plead with louise for help? or is he just observing her actions?

Well i;ve done a first pass of part one of k.neko's script.

I'll start on the other tomorrow morning. hopefully we will get the rest of the sript then i can do a second on the complete chapter.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by the_naming_game »

Zero no Louise
I will use my favorite example for the Japanese "no" ... in many ways it's like the Chinese "de" .. but I digress.

"Hoshi" = "celestial body" -- both planets and stars.

I believe these are the official English titles for these songs. One is a Gackt song, the other is an anime soundtrack, I believe by Utada Hikari. I heard both on kawaii-radio.net, so the info is as reliable as they are.

"Hoshi no Suna" -> "Star's Sand" -> "Star Sand"
"Suna no Hoshi" -> "Sand's Planet" -> "Sandy Planet"

"Zero no Louise" -> "Zero's Louise" -> "Zero-y Louise" .... ?

I imagine "Goose Egg Louise" to be something you might hear in some British schoolyard somewhere. The Britons here can weigh in on this. "Louise the Zero" seems like another likely name. "Zero Louise" sounds less likely. But honestly, I don't really care. They all sound fine, and we'll get used to any of them in time.

I don't see any building to symblize it.

Sore rashii tatemono wa dokonimo mienai
  • sore : that
    rashii (aux-adj) seems
    tatemono (n) building
    dokonimo : nowhere -- see here for the example sentence "Went nowhere this weekend."
    mieru (ru-verb) to be seen; to be in sight; to look; to seem; to appear -> mienai : negative present
That like building nowhere not-looks-like.
(Note that Japanese appears to use a double negative for this.)
That kind of building nowhere appears.
You won't see that kind of building anywhere.

(Well, that's my guess, anyway. Man, I thought we were supposed to be EDITORS.)

"which commoner are you from?"
From the example sentences I've seen, it's better translated as "What kind of commoner are you?" or "What kind of commoner is this?" -- the subject really isn't specified, so you have to use context. If it's Louise talking, it'd be "you." If it's from the peanut gallery, it'd probably be "this."

I'm more inclined to go with "you" since that's what the translator chose. There are just some things you really can't reason out, and this seems to be one of them. I'm assuming the translator, being "Yuko", is a native Japanese speaker? We can probably trust large scale decisions, then, but have to be suspicious of the trip to English.

I have a headache. Saito said as he shook his head.
Zutsuu ga suru. Saito wa kaburi wo furi nagara itta.

kaburi wo furi : shake one's head (opposite of nod)
furu : shake (ru-verb) -> furi ... the verb stem for -masu, and lots of other things. Like "go" iku -> iki-masu (polite form)
nagara : while -- see here
iu : say (u-verb) -> itta : past

Headache doing. Saito shook head while said.

(Oh great, I did all that work, and still can't tell if the "said" refers to the headache part or the part that comes next. Going by Japanese convention, it's probably the headache statement.)

That girl Louise is keep on talking. Let me try it again, or please and shaking her arm wildly.
I've ended up looking at more Japanese tonight than English. While I do want to learn, it's a lot crazier on a deadline. I'm not going to do the same pretty here, but it's basically this:

That girl Louise keeps on talking. "Let me try it again", or "please" ("onegai desu"), and shaking her arms wildly.

----

Ok, time to study some more. I found a lot of things that are in those last few sections. After I finish those, I have to fear for the things that aren't in those sections. (there's jgram.org, though) Would love to draft a Japanese language consultant. But then again, if we had one, they'd be translating, wouldn't they?

Ugh. Took me way too long to write this up. Will have to optimize methods. Didn't get to do much editing -- and just on a local copy. It's a pretty major rewording of the first and start of the second pages, as a warning.

P.S.

@Kawool
If you happen to be listening in on this thread, I fully admit to complaining. Yet there are still a lot of fun parts. Complaining just happens to be one of them. But not the only one!

@onizuka
Are you able to come on irc? Discussion would be faster that way. If tonight is getting too late for you, sometime tomorrow?

@everyone
Same goes for the others. It'd be nice if we could all meet up twice before the deadline. I'd prefer IRC, because I don't have to install anything, but I'll do MSN if I absolutely have to. My IRC client can't do Japanese, unfortunately.

edit: detsuu -> zutsuu .... I blame it all on "desu"
Last edited by the_naming_game on Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I rather do msn mainly because I can't make heads or tails of IRC and i get sensory overloads from all those different speed scrolling text, and partly because i don't have to install anything.

:wink:

tomorrows fine.

msn details below. Please pester me after noon GMT

:wink:

p.s: i''ve removed security tag.

only those with permission can access special pages such as special:recentpage.

@Onizukademongto
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

absolutely not objective as i prefer Louise the Zero due to the fact we use that...
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

okay .im awake now. im on msn as of now.

so any immediate discussion of the edit, please do so now.

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

page 20

Post by onizuka-gto »

=summon servant=
I substitute this as "The spell of Summoning"
=servant contract=
I substitute this as the servant contract spell

I also remove speech marks for saitos dialogue, the reason being that it was not consistance, and we all know that in the first part, saito could not communicate to the other anyway, they don't understand Japanese.
"Mr. Colbert! A =flood='s mommolancey has insulted me!"
=flood='s mommolancey?

I have no idea what is this suppose to mean.

edit: oh okay it explains in the next page.

i would change it to "Mommolancey the Flood"

or even floods of mommolancey

@Onizukademongto
BlckKnght
Astral Realm

Post by BlckKnght »

I also remove speech marks for saitos dialogue, the reason being that it was not consistance, and we all know that in the first part, saito could not communicate to the other anyway, they don't understand Japanese.
I think that's a change that was made for the anime, and that in the novels he can understand things from the beginning. He can be understood too, not that anyone cares much what he says.

Anyway, I think the key passages that will explain that for sure are yet to be translated, so we'll see.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

need someone to check page 21 - 22

seems like in the novel saito can be understood by louise, but not by others.

so removing some of saito's speech marks might be in error, when he is addressing louise.

@Onizukademongto
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

momolency ??? are you sure its not Montmorency?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

oh right. well that was what was in the translation.

time to change it.

@Onizukademongto
BlckKnght
Astral Realm

Post by BlckKnght »

I just asked this question on the wiki, but I'll ask here too so those who have not yet been blessed by the leet ninja wiki admins can perhaps answer.

One term which shows up all over chapter 1 is 使い魔, currently translated as "familiar spirit." I'm wondering if we should trim that down to just "familiar." A related term is 春の使い魔召喚, which could translate to "the Spring familiar summoning ceremony" or something similar. Any thoughts?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I rather take the long intepretation.

I mean its not going to crop up in ay of the further chapters anyway.

@Onizukademongto
BlckKnght
Astral Realm

Post by BlckKnght »

onizuka-gto wrote:I rather take the long intepretation.

I mean its not going to crop up in ay of the further chapters anyway.
Maybe so. The repetition on a few of the pages is pretty crazy though.

Anyway, I've got another one: 幻獣, currently translated as "Illusion Beast"

If I understood Cala-kun correctly last night when he was chatting with The_Naming_Game on IRC, this is a relatively generic term for a magical creature, not really a reference to anything specific. Is that right?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

no idea, gotta run that though the translator.

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”