Zero no Tsukaima Names and Terminology

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Sushi-Y
Astral Realm

Zero no Tsukaima Names and Terminology

Post by Sushi-Y »

UPDATED: Sep/29/06

This thread is primarily used to list names and terminologies that appears throughout the novel and their English translations. Editors should make note of the translations here, and make sure they remain constant throughout all translated chapters.

This thread is not open for discussion, if you have any alternative suggestions or disagreements (or any terms that I forgot to list), please post them in the unified guidelines thread (or PM me). I'll respond to your messages there, and make changes to the list here if needed.

============================================
Volume 1 Keywords

Names:
ルイズ・フランソワーズ・ル・ブラン・ド・ラ・ヴァリエール - Louise Françoise Le Blanc de la Vallière (ゼロのルイズ - Louise the Zero)
平賀 才人 (ひらが さいと) - Hiraga Saito
キュルケ・アウグスタ・フレデリカ・フォン・アンハルツ・ツェルプストー - Kirche Augusta Frederica von Anhalt Zerbst (微熱のキュルケ - Kirche the Slight Fever)
フレイム - Flame
シエスタ - Siesta
タバサ - Tabitha (雪風のタバサ - Tabitha the Snowstorm)
シルフィード - Sylphid (風韻竜 - Wind Rhyme Dragon)
ギーシュ・ド・グラモン - Guiche de Gramont (青銅のギーシュ - Guiche the Bronze)
ヴェルダンデ - Verdandi
ワルキューレ - Valkyrie
モンモランシー・マルガリタ・ラ・フェール・ド・モンモランシ - Montmorency Margarita la Fère de Montmorency (香水のモンモランシー - Montmorency the Fragrance)
ロビン - Robin
マリコンヌ - Malicorne (風上のマリコンヌ - Malicorne the Windward)
オールド・オスマン - Old Osman
モートソグニル - Motsognir
ロングビル (フーケ) - Longueville (Fouquet) (土くれのフーケ - Fouquet the Dirt Crumb)
コルベール - Colbert (炎蛇のコルベール - Colbert the Flame Serpent)
シュヴルーズ - Chevreuse (赤土のシュヴルーズ - Chevreuse the Red Clay)
マルトー - Marteau
ペリッソン - Pelisson
スティックス - Styx
マニカン - Minican
エイジャックス - Ajax
ギムリー - Gimli

Terms:
始祖ブリミル - Founder Brimir
ハルケギニア - Halkeginia
トリステイン王国 - Kingdom of Tristain
ゲルマニア - Germania
トリステイン魔法学院 - Tristain Academy of Magic
アルヴィーズの食堂 - Alvíss Dining Hall
フェニアのライブラリー - Fenrir's Library
ヴェストリの広場 - Vestri Courtyard
ブルドンネ街 - Bourdonné Street
ラ・ロシェール - La Rochelle
サモン・サーヴァント - Summon Servant
コントラクト・サーヴァント - Contract Servant
眠りの鐘 - The Bell of Slumber
虚無 - Void
虚無の使い魔 - Familiar of Void
ガンダールヴ - Gandálfr
デルフリンガー - Derflinger
シュペー卿の剣 - Lord Spee's Sword
エキュー金貨 - Ecu Gold
新金貨 - New Gold
破壊の杖(M72ロケットランチャー) - Staff of Destruction (M72 Rocket Launcher)
Claies
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Claies »

Some names I used from Volume 2:

People:
[=] Captain Wardes - Her Majesty's Royal Mage Guard, Griffin Squadron Leader
[=] Fouquet
[=] Prince Wales Tudor of Albion - the last survivor of the Albionian royal family.
[=] Princess Henrietta
[=] Duke(?) Marchinelli - De facto ruler of Tristainia. Marchinelli is my lame attempt at piecing together a name, and Duke is the highest noble title I can find. Replace if you have anything better.

Places:
[=] La Rochelle, Tristainia - port city before Saito and co. left for Albion.
[=] Marie Grande - the Tristainian ship that took Saito and co. to Albion.
[=] Scarborough, Albion - the Albionian port that Saito and co. land on
[=] Newcastle, Albion - site of the final battle for Volume 2

Note: I didn't put on
  • tags. That was intentional.

[EDIT]: Mary -> Marie. Sounds more French = Tristainian.
naturesbless
Astral Realm

Post by naturesbless »

Claies, I think it's Waldo, not Wardes.
Claies
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Claies »

naturesbless wrote:Claies, I think it's Waldo, not Wardes.
I took that from Wikipedia. I don't know which sounds more French.
naturesbless
Astral Realm

Post by naturesbless »

Well the pronunciation is "Wa-ru-do" so I think makes more sense as Waldo.
Christof
Astral Realm

Post by Christof »

I used Wald. I took the name from some fansub in the anime.
Const2k
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re:

Post by Const2k »

Claies wrote: [=] Captain Wardes - Her Majesty's Royal Mage Guard, Griffin Squadron Leader
From Characters Encountered/Introduced in the Three Musketeers:
http://www.sirclisto.com/cavalier/others.html wrote: Count de Wardes - The target of Countess de Winter's affection, De Wardes was a real man, Francois Rene Crespin du Bec (1620-1688). Dumas chose Courtilz's dramatic, as chronologically slanted, portrayal of this rich, court favored nobleman. According to Courtliz's version, he would also be cousin of Rochefort.
Hence I'm changing every 'Wald' and its variations to 'Wardes' on sight. I think a group of griffin riders is called 'Griffin Knights', where both words start with capital letter; so I'll fix 'Griffin knight(-s)' as well.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: Re:

Post by onizuka-gto »

Const2k wrote:
Claies wrote: [=] Captain Wardes - Her Majesty's Royal Mage Guard, Griffin Squadron Leader
From Characters Encountered/Introduced in the Three Musketeers:
http://www.sirclisto.com/cavalier/others.html wrote: Count de Wardes - The target of Countess de Winter's affection, De Wardes was a real man, Francois Rene Crespin du Bec (1620-1688). Dumas chose Courtilz's dramatic, as chronologically slanted, portrayal of this rich, court favored nobleman. According to Courtliz's version, he would also be cousin of Rochefort.
Hence I'm changing every 'Wald' and its variations to 'Wardes' on sight. I think a group of griffin riders is called 'Griffin Knights', where both words start with capital letter; so I'll fix 'Griffin knight(-s)' as well.
I always thought the name "wald" sounded strange... :roll:

Anyway thanks for the update.

see no problem with this.

:)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Const2k
Senior Project Editor

Re:

Post by Const2k »

Claies wrote:[=] Duke(?) Marchinelli - De facto ruler of Tristainia. Marchinelli is my lame attempt at piecing together a name, and Duke is the highest noble title I can find. Replace if you have anything better.
枢機卿 マザリーニ (or マザラン) is Cardinal Mazarin. See his Wikipedia entry (and its Japanese version). I'll fix this in all available scripts of ZnT vol.2.
Most part of ZnT names can be found in d'Artagnan romances (Wikipedia) by Alexandre Dumas, père. I strongly recommend these historical novels to every ZnT translator/editor - they are very interesting by themselves as well.
Shaolin
Astral Realm

Post by Shaolin »

onizuka-gto wrote:

ehm, well, I'm German =D So, since Kirche's name (meaning "church") is German (well, Germania is mentioned in ZnT), I guess that it could also be "Wald". It means "forest". ^^ But, I don't really know... I think it's difficult to tell from their pronounciation in the anime as well...
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Shaolin wrote:
onizuka-gto wrote:

ehm, well, I'm German =D So, since Kirche's name (meaning "church") is German (well, Germania is mentioned in ZnT), I guess that it could also be "Wald". It means "forest". ^^ But, I don't really know... I think it's difficult to tell from their pronounciation in the anime as well...

humm...didn't no "kirche" meant church in German, but then again she is from Germania :p

but on the other hand, Wald/Warude is from the French sounding country, you would think he at leased have a French sounding name then a German one?

unless he has Germania roots? but then his surname would be Germania wouldn't it?
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Shaolin
Astral Realm

Re: Zero no Tsukaima Names and Terminology

Post by Shaolin »

You're right, I thought the same thing! =D As I've said: it might be possible since the name would have a meaning / a German translation. But I really don't know. =3
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

The only viscount that i've found with something who sounded like "Waldo" is Vicount Walden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquess_of_Tweeddale
Lord Tweeddale holds the subsidiary titles of Earl of Tweeddale (created 1646), Earl of Gifford (1694), Viscount of Walden (1694)...
It's the same period than "Louise Françoise de La Baume Le Blanc, duchesse de La Vallière" (1644-1710) and "Cardinal Mazarin" (1602-1661)
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Vaelis wrote:The only viscount that i've found with something who sounded like "Waldo" is Vicount Walden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquess_of_Tweeddale
Lord Tweeddale holds the subsidiary titles of Earl of Tweeddale (created 1646), Earl of Gifford (1694), Viscount of Walden (1694)...
It's the same period than "Louise Françoise de La Baume Le Blanc, duchesse de La Vallière" (1644-1710) and "Cardinal Mazarin" (1602-1661)

close enough for me, walde(n) it is.

:D

@Onizukademongto
Const2k
Senior Project Editor

Post by Const2k »

Vaelis wrote:The only viscount that i've found with something who sounded like "Waldo" is Vicount Walden.
As far as I recall, eldest son of a count inherits the title from his father. Until then his title is viscount ("vice-count"). Hence, I don't see any problems mixing Japanese ZnT's "Viscount WARUDO" with Dumas' "Count de Wardes" into "Viscount Wardes". After all, this name is relatively well-known, especially when compared to Vicount Walden.

Interesting link...

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”