What has caused/would cause the possible downfall of ZnT?

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

What has caused/would cause the possible downfall of ZnT?

Lack of originality
6%
Never-ending plot
24%
Not enough English novels to read
32%
Anime was not enough good
18%
Others
20%

Total votes: 50

j112
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: What has caused/would cause the possible downfall of ZnT

Post by j112 »

I tend to get out tl 2 pages a day and then proofread them usually if i have time, and if you record every word you Tl in its current inflection your tling gets faster and faster it used to take me about 3 hours a page but now it takes me about 1
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

that's a good rhythm!! Do you use any translator to help you? I use google translator and I only have to correct it (the translation given) and modify it a bit so that it works good (i'm changing any plot, I swear)... it's only so that people can understand it ^^

A chapter is like 15 pages of translation.. but I translate english to french... I think it must be easier than japanese to english (kira has to confirm what i'm saying but I think it is true) so we can't really compare ^^

I'm someone kinda lazy so I will not do a chapter for 1-2 weeks (depends of the mood) and then do a chapter in very less than a day ^^ When I'm in something, nothing can stop me... except tiredness ^^
j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

wall Kampfer's chapters are 40 pages long which is why its taken me almost 2 months to get the first out but after i finish it should be about 1 chapter every 3 or 4 weeks or so
as for translation tools i just use the rikaichan app for firefox and type the japanese text on a blank html page then type the translation for that sentence below it then copy down all the words, look up the tenses for verb inflections and check to see what part of the sentence is denoted by the particles and reconstruct it in english.
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

40 pages.... waw... that's a lot!!!

how do you type the caracters? you have a keyboard in japanese? or do you copy paste from a word file of the chapter?
j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

i use microsoft ime you can add it from your registration disk if you use xp or if you use vista/windows 7 it should already be an option just go into control panel->clock,language,and region->under region and language click"change keyboards or other input methods"->under keyboards and languages click "change keyboards..."->and then under general just click Add go to japanese->keyboard->check microsoft ime

it allows you to either type in romanized kana or using actual kana key setup asif you were using a japanese keyboard
typing a->あ za->ざ ki->き and so on
if you type in any japanese words phonetically like boku->ぼく->僕
you just have to press space to find possible kanji combinations

oh and if you have xp but no recovery disk then just install google japanese ime
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

thanks! That will help me for the future! ^^
j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

i thought it might, it took me like 9 hours to translate 3 pages because of the copy/paste method when i first started... the next day i found a guide on how to use the ime and never went back
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

just say your first chapter... that's true... there's lot of pages!!!!!!!!!!!!! (an already so much views! ^^)
j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

8,000 0f those were before i started tling it though, thank you for the compliment though
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

well all these 8000 person can now enjoy your chapter! Thanks to you!!! ^^
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Ah, you dont know how many of those 8000 views were the same person... ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
altux
Project Translator

Post by altux »

Seriously, who thinks ZnT lacks of originality... it's sooooo good!

If you talk about the downfall in the translation, maybe I would say because when someone begins the translation and their is anyone else to work on it, it discourages them... I mean, it takes time translating a chapter and when people see that they are the only one, they think that it is impossible to continue more than 2 chapters because they don't want to spend their time on it... translating works well when 3-4-5 people regular (each month or so) put a new chapter... this means 3-4-5 chapter a month, which is a lot! Translators that can see a possible end of their translating [one day] are most likely to continue over 2 translations!
same for me here, people always tend to be more energized,motivated and active wheb they do things togather. Being a lone translator at a project is a hard thing. And altux really mean it, just like transalating ZnT and SAO to indonesian languange, at first, there are many people, but suddenly, they're gone. Having people vanish into thin air is depressing
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

Hehehe, but we get use to it ^^ I'm determined to continue the translation in french but it's so true that if I was working with a group, I would work faster (kinda competition =P)
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Hm, I were probably even less motivated as I am now, since I would know, that there were someone else who will translate it eventually ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Xeones
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Xeones »

I think that when season 4 starts airing next year, there will be a lot more interest in ZnT. Hopefully the new season will bring back some old fans of the series and with luck some more translators as well. I can't help with the english translations (since I don't know how to read or write in japanese/chinese/etc...), but if I can help in any other way I'll gladly do so.

I know that there are many people who just enter the page, read the novels and exit... and I also know how bad it feels when your work doesn't get recognized, so all I wanted to say (in my behalf and of all those other people who can read ZnT thanks to your efforts in translating the series) is this: Thanks for all the time and hard work that you guys dedicate to this project, if it wasn't for you we wouldn't be able to enjoy this great series... I know that thing are looking bad right now, since there are only 2 people translating out of the 20 that there were before, but as Jesse Jackson once said: "Hold your head high, stick your chest out. You can make it. It gets dark sometimes, but morning comes. Keep hope alive". Again, thanks for all the work you do for baka-tsuki and all the readers who come here.

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”