Noboru Yamaguchi passed away

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

syrinori
Astral Realm

Re: Noboru Yamaguchi passed away

Post by syrinori »

Ugh, How depressing. Started reading really heavily like two weeks ago. 5 hour reading sprees, Then go check to see if I can find raws and see if my japanese is up to par and find this.

I feel like I cursed this series somehow.

Rest in peace Noboru Yamaguchi, Your series made at least one heart beat faster.
Shin Aku
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shin Aku »

I love ZnT (it was my first LN anyway) and this anime caused me to became an "Otaku". And I was relieved that Yamaguchi would continue and end ZnT, but now...... it feels like that God never exist.......
blindworm
Astral Realm

Post by blindworm »

there's a good chance (or at least i hope there's a good chance) that he had several notes and info on the last 2 volumes (lot of authors do that, it's what frank herberts son did with dune when frank herbert died). if that's true then they could get someone to finish the series and give the fans some closure. even if it won't be the same, it won't mean it'll be bad.

and if kaze no stigma made me realize anything, it's that i'd rather have a crappy ending, over the series simply "stopping".
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

blindworm wrote:and if kaze no stigma made me realize anything, it's that i'd rather have a crappy ending, over the series simply "stopping".
Well he collaborated on the anime ending, so there is an approximation of what the ending should be like. Even if the anime did diverge a bit from the novels. >.> <.<
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
M.A.D
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by M.A.D »

Yeah. I suppose the novel's ending would still be the same with Louise somehow going to Saito's world and ended up on a train with him while wearing something like a cosplay.

And Saito would point that out ^^

Still, what I want isn't just the ending, but also what leads to it. What happened to the world of Halkeginia when it's about to be torn in two because of war, and more importantly, will Saito ever acquire his much awaited harem?! *Dun Dun DUUUUUUUNNNNN*
blindworm
Astral Realm

Post by blindworm »

M.A.D wrote:Yeah. I suppose the novel's ending would still be the same with Louise somehow going to Saito's world and ended up on a train with him while wearing something like a cosplay.

And Saito would point that out ^^

Still, what I want isn't just the ending, but also what leads to it. What happened to the world of Halkeginia when it's about to be torn in two because of war, and more importantly, will Saito ever acquire his much awaited harem?! *Dun Dun DUUUUUUUNNNNN*
i always imagined that saito decided to stay in halkeginia, since he has a life and is overall happy there. i felt that it was leaving his family without explanation that made him want to go home all along. my idea of an ending would be that he goes home to say his goodbyes and louise summons him back.

epilogue: they have a kid :wink:
Ailtin
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Ailtin »

As a big fan of his work, I may want to give my two cents concerning his death and my feelings towards it:

Back when I visited Baka-Tsuki for the first time, it has been some years, I saw that there were many Light Novels that I never heard of: In fact, I never read one, until I came to this page. As I searched through the forums and some Articles on Wikipedia, I found out about Zero no Tsukaima, or as many people claimed to call it: Pokemon mixed with Harry Potter and Harem. I picked it up, started to read the 1st Volume, watched some Anime Episodes and found those to be lacking many details (of course), and I read some more. It went so far, that I even downloaded an App for my Phone (It was a Sony Ericsson back then) and I converted All Volumes up to 8 on it. I remember the vivid days in which I had no lessons and spent hours on just reading the Novels - so far that I even managed to read one entire Volume in a single day.

To make a long story short, I just want to give my deepest condolences to Yamaguchi-sans family and also to his fans, including me. I am very thankful for the legacy that he left behind - his work is one of the big reasons, why I read Light Novels even today. Thanks to all those translators that made all of this possible as well.

“A flash of lightning; illuminates man’s journey; then darkness returns.”
— Japanese Death Poem

This Guy is Un-F***ing believeable !
by Christopher Walken
Dohma
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dohma »

So sad to hear this. I was hoping he would pull through and overcome this disease, but sadly it wasn't meant to be. :(
Zero no Tsukaima, along with Shana, was what lead me to start reading Light Novels and Louise and Tabitha are two of my favourite characters.
May he rest in peace.
Kumachi
Kyonist

Post by Kumachi »

So sad :cry:
Now i'll never be able to witness the ending..
I offer my condolences, another great author has left us alone in this cruel world :cry:
SkyNova93
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SkyNova93 »

I have no word that can express my sadness over this. RIP Noboru Yamaguchi.
Wizzie
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Wizzie »

Someone knows what says here? http://www.mediafactory.co.jp/bunkoj/20 ... index.html
I could only recognise his name...
Dohma
Project Translator

Post by Dohma »

Wizzie wrote:Someone knows what says here? http://www.mediafactory.co.jp/bunkoj/20 ... index.html
It's a notice for a "Yamaguchi Farewell Party"
Quick and rough translation:
Spoiler! :
The author Yamaguchi Noboru-sensei has passed away on the 4th of April.
You are invited to hold a ceremony for him together with various fans.

The promoters are:
List of names, I'm not going to translate them all.
Sponsors: Kadogawa Shouten, Fujimi Shoubo, Media Factory (his publishers)

Date: 13th of May, 2013
From 16:00 to 19:00
If you're a fan you're welcome to attend, but please do not arrive after the above-mentioned time.
Hotel information: telephone and map..

Then there's a list of various rules (not going to list them all) like:
- Please don't bring any flower offerings without permission
- Please wear regular clothes for the attendance (so no suits, gala dresses, etc.)
- Please refrain from wearing excessive cosplay
- Please use public transportation when possible
- etc.
Windwalker
Kyonist

Post by Windwalker »

Ok, I know this is late, but, this is very sad.

I've quite enjoyed reading this series, and I hope Yamaguchi knew that many others do too. There was just something charming about ZnT that even withstood translation. Even if some meaning is lost through it, I feel that the essence was unchanged. It's remarkable that great stories cannot get ruined so easily, lol.

I wish he did finish the last two volumes, but he did all he could and that's what counts.
shido
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

Windwalker wrote:Ok, I know this is late, but, this is very sad.

I've quite enjoyed reading this series, and I hope Yamaguchi knew that many others do too. There was just something charming about ZnT that even withstood translation. Even if some meaning is lost through it, I feel that the essence was unchanged. It's remarkable that great stories cannot get ruined so easily, lol.

I wish he did finish the last two volumes, but he did all he could and that's what counts.
Who knows maybe a close friend might help finish it for him. He might of left notes and see an ending that Yamaguchi-san might of wanted.
acolyte
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by acolyte »

shido wrote:Who knows maybe a close friend might help finish it for him. He might of left notes and see an ending that Yamaguchi-san might of wanted.
Hopefully, so he can rest in peace not worrying about his unfinished work..

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”