Scientific tern for tsundere.

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Poke2201
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Scientific tern for tsundere.

Post by Poke2201 »

shichinanatsu wrote:
we want our tsundere to progress from "tsun" to "dere", which is why the archetype holds such appeal.. however, in real life we obviously don't have any clueless protagonist-types. true, there will be times when dealing with a real-life tsundere in tsun-phase might just wear anyone out, because imo most everyone also long for their own "protagonist" who will "clear their arc", so to speak.. (okay, i just realized this statement could be far-left-field..)

perhaps the same goes for the whole plethora of archetypes.. the otaku who wishes for someone who can bridge the gap between his/her world and reality, the lone warrior who longs to find someone worthy of devotion, the scarred lover who searches for someone who'll accept wholeheartedly, etc..

Well in some cases, some people just want their life to feel like a fairy tale for just one moment possible. (Fairy Tale was just a basic term for all of fiction) I certainly imagine it happening once in a while, but I already know that its probably not going to happen because everyone in the real world has seen the ploys fiction takes. Its the reason a good amount people are actually drawn to those specific character who points out things in fiction.

Also, in a situation that emulated fiction, I would have been the male tsundere because, one, I won't easily show my feelings: Tsun, but when I do people apparently find it cute: Dere.(Mind you, this may be in an ideal situation, so I digress) Now for the archetypes, a lot of people will connect to one, and try to emulate it like in a story. It usually works if the persons personality is somewhat compatible.

Loner --> Lone Warrior
CloudCuckooLander (TVTropes Look it up)--> Otaku/Hidden Depths
and etc.

For me though, I feel as if entertainment is just an idealized life so to speak. Sure some of them may be girtty or some end badly, but lots of them surely have much more interesting lives than we do now.

Rambling might be possible here.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

@ainsoph, @Poke: am i the only one reminded of Haruhi and Kyon with what you guys said?? 8)

granted, escapism can be a negative to society in general.. but likewise it can also be a plus in the form of "ultimate" fiction. surely even the person who can claim "utmost contentment" with this world can have daydreams in a while of what if?. granted, it isn't exactly escapism, but it could be a form of "stretching reality's boundaries"..

escapism can be such a tricky concept.. if ever there were an objective way of indulging in it, it would grant one a near-complete picture of humanity's desires. say how time travelers can correct previous wrongs, or how special powers give you the edge to control circumstances normally beyond the average joe.
on the other hand, most of us are subjectively involved with escapism, yours truly as well.. some may say it affirms their unfulfilled wishes, others may point out its the only form of materialized imagination - an anything-goes-world under the author's hand.

one can use fiction to create a sanctuary from the real world's foils, so to speak.. but fiction can also drive the individual to see if some aspects of it can be made real; is it not how innovation and inspiration come to play? although ultimately, bridging real and ideal might actually be sisyphus' punishment, which can answer why most fall short, merely longing for the ideal and giving up on reality (cue NEETs and hikikomori.. -_-)

@b0mb3r: not the first time i see a work of lit have opposing comments, so sad i can't contribute for lack of knowledge.. :cry:
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

Actually, you might all benefit from reading J.R.R. Tolkien's 1938 dissertation "On Fairy Stories", which covers much the topic of "escapism" versus the real benefit of restoring the soul.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

shichinanatsu wrote:@ainsoph, @Poke: am i the only one reminded of Haruhi and Kyon with what you guys said?? 8)
I was writing slightly off that aspect yes lol.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

shichinanatsu wrote: one can use fiction to create a sanctuary from the real world's foils, so to speak.. but fiction can also drive the individual to see if some aspects of it can be made real.
Shich....fictional characters are my inspirations. I always ask myself "Why haven't I met any people like this in real life?" Conclusion? become one of them. My being, my character, me personality is like a soup. Is gradually evolving over time. When I read characters from books I take my favorite aspect from them and build me up to be delicious for whoever meets me. But this aspect of me is like Haruhi, who tries to do outrageous things, does it, but knows in the end is a bit unreal, except i don't have a reality-bending power as she does. So watch out if u ever meet me.

baka baka baka
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

b0mb3r wrote:
shichinanatsu wrote: one can use fiction to create a sanctuary from the real world's foils, so to speak.. but fiction can also drive the individual to see if some aspects of it can be made real.
Shich....fictional characters are my inspirations. I always ask myself "Why haven't I met any people like this in real life?" Conclusion? become one of them. My being, my character, me personality is like a soup. Is gradually evolving over time. When I read characters from books I take my favorite aspect from them and build me up to be delicious for whoever meets me. But this aspect of me is like Haruhi, who tries to do outrageous things, does it, but knows in the end is a bit unreal, except i don't have a reality-bending power as she does. So watch out if u ever meet me.
Same here. I tend to be like a Kyon in many aspects and a Haruhi as a thought process. People say Im probably one of the most articulate people they have met though, even with my brain kind of just living off of moments.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

pretty much in the same grand boat i see.. (KyoAni pun intended 8) )

then again, just what kind of strength does your typical NEET/hikikomori need to face up to the music once more?? true, escapism's downward spiral seems to be an overarching rule, but surely there must be some individuals out there who have broken the cycle, and still maintain the high-wire act if you will, of living in the real AND the ideal.

.. i'm having a hard time organizing my thoughts, pity how i rusted ever since the days of post-s1 SHnY.. there's some key concepts floating around, i just can't combine them at will:
* Genshiken's Saki: paraphrasing, "you don't become an otaku, you just wake up and realize you're already one.."
* the concept of the afterlife in Angel Beats!, i.e. a sort of waiting-room to clear souls' lingering trappings to their past lives, prepare them for rebirth..
* how children occasionally comment on how adults and their situations fail to make sense.. (if you love each other, why be divorced.. stuff like that..)

either i get back and collate this on my own, or somebody comes up with better ideas.. 8)
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

shichinanatsu wrote:
.. i'm having a hard time organizing my thoughts, pity how i rusted ever since the days of post-s1 SHnY.. there's some key concepts floating around, i just can't combine them at will:
* Genshiken's Saki: paraphrasing, "you don't become an otaku, you just wake up and realize you're already one.."
* the concept of the afterlife in Angel Beats!, i.e. a sort of waiting-room to clear souls' lingering trappings to their past lives, prepare them for rebirth..
* how children occasionally comment on how adults and their situations fail to make sense.. (if you love each other, why be divorced.. stuff like that..)

either i get back and collate this on my own, or somebody comes up with better ideas.. 8)
what does this relate to?

baka baka baka
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Well from the looks of it, escapism is pretty much a good thing bad thing.

On the good, you can still hope for the ideal, and deal with reality as it goes.

On the bad, you deal with reality not living up to ideal.

Some just can't handle it.
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Which is true for pretty much everything... I mean what doesn't have it's good and bad parts?

Also escapism is a tricky term, at least for me... The one who lives his entire life in the "real" world but never gives any thought to how the world is beneath it's surface and the one who thinks only of fiction going so far as making it his life. I think of both as escapism but they are almost opposites... :?
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

well escapism is basically using something to avoid a problem.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

And here, I thought that it was that key on the upper left of the keyboard all this time...oops! :oops:
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Thats escape key obsessive...
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

So are you saying that if I live each day at a time to overlook the fact I will die someday that's escapism? :roll:
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Well do you fear death?

Return to “Commune”