Scientific tern for tsundere.

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

chrnno
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Scientific tern for tsundere.

Post by chrnno »

That's an interesting question, I am aware of my own mortality and I am fine with it BUT I was never in a situation where I was face-to-face with death so I can't truly answer that question, if I said anything different I would be lying.
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Then it is not escapism.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

@Poke: aren't you talking about different kinds of escapism? or more likely, escapism regarding different concepts? perhaps you think escapism is a form of denial? (which is partially true..)

escapism as manifested by a dependency on fiction and fantasy is caused by a desire to live in a world closer to one's ideals, a world that will adapt to one's wishes instead of you and your wishes adapting to the world.. meanwhile, living in ignorance of death isn't escapism, but just denial.

speaking from someone who's faced death once and survived, frankly you will think about death and dying - if not be forced to - every once in a while. all forms of religious beliefs aside, its what you do with your life AFTER that first contemplation of death that makes all the difference.

now that's it before i get too carried away 8)
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Poke2201 wrote:Then it is not escapism.
One of the definitions of escapism I found is "an inclination to retreat from unpleasant realities through diversion or fantasy." Using daily life to ignore death would fit that one...

To both of you what if the person creates a fantasy based on his daily life never changing, then you would consider it escapism? It fits what you said pretty well...

Also poke2201 the irony in what I said was because of how you defined escapism "well escapism is basically using something to avoid a problem."
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

I dont think that tsun / dere has something to do with with escapism...

Also tsun / dere in reality its just a choleric who is mostly only cute if he / she says nothing ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

Funny, and here I thought a "scientific tern" was one of these, with glasses . . .

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

*Groan*

Philosophically, tsundere has some things to do with escapism, but in terms of the science behind the term, I would argue that sociology and psychology would go for the "bipolar" nature of the person. I do not think that "bipolar" is necessarily the best term to describe tsundere by a long shot because I have know truly bipolar people who act nothing like tsundere. I would also say that sociology in particular would go after the problems that dealing with the tsundere genre develops in real society and people so that they become NEETs and the like.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Tsundere arent escapists nor bipolar.

The main thing is that they just can't handle [insert emotion here] and will lash out. Once you get them somewhat fixed, then you get deredere.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

So you want them to be under drugs the whole time? :twisted:

Bipolar is all about the ups and downs, but not necessary tsun and dere
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I realize that tsundere characters are not bipolar. Unfortunately, I have seen this translation by various fansub groups. It is sometimes a funny translation, but it is dysfunctional at best for the vast majority of the cases. Like names, it really should not be translated in a sense.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

I find it more hilarious.

Also fansubbers arent your 1st choice for psychologists anyway....
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

No wonder why I was shrunk a little too much...
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ainsoph9 wrote:No wonder why I was shrunk a little too much...
psychologist and scientist with shrink rays are different you know.

baka baka baka
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Lol wat?
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Can anyone help me understand this line of conversation? I lost it in my last post...

Return to “Commune”