Harem MC - Hating or liking them

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Your opinion?

I like them. They attract girls.
7%
It depends of their personality.
27%
I hate them. I'm single.
3%
I like dense ones. They are victims.
4%
It depends of their other qualities.
19%
I hate dense ones. They are stupid.
14%
I want a yuri harem. Girls together on bed.
7%
I want a yaoi harem. Boys together on bed.
No votes
I want polygamy in the harem. Wives on bed.
12%
I prefer a female MC. Otome / reverse harem.
2%
I want a trap MC (Hideyoshi). Mixed harem.
4%

Total votes: 122

Assassin
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Harem MC - Hating or liking them

Post by Assassin »

Kira0802 wrote:
Assassin wrote:DxD and BokuH are examples for this, I s'pose?
Good catch.
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
Chaos2Frozen
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Chaos2Frozen »

Heh somehow all this reminds me of a friend who once said to me "Nobody cares about the male leads in a harem series."

To which I answered, "I do; because a good harem has good girls, but a GREAT harem has an awesome lead =p"

Though these days I think I'm becoming too elitist when it comes to my harem series, particularly the leads- If it's not like this or if it's not like that, even the slightest of transgressions stick out like a sore thumb to me. I agree with what Assassin said about overly perverted characters among other things.

I used to think all I want is someone competent, but it seems I've begin factoring in some other variables...
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

As I have said, it would be nice to see more leads who are not perverts and/or absolutely clueless when it comes to girls. In other words, the male lead should act like they know what they are doing without being a jerk about it.
Chaos2Frozen
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Chaos2Frozen »

ainsoph9 wrote:As I have said, it would be nice to see more leads who are not perverts and/or absolutely clueless when it comes to girls. In other words, the male lead should act like they know what they are doing without being a jerk about it.

The thing is though, even though I don't like the perverted leads from DxD and BokuH, I'm okay with the ones from Horizon and Seitokai no Ichizon.

Even though I don't like the clueless leads from IS and HnA (dense or denial, essentially the same results), I'm okay with the ones from Index and Heavy Object.

There's got to be another underlining factor to this.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I would say that it is creating a character who is balanced enough that we do not hate him or think that he could not exist in real life.
Chaos2Frozen
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Chaos2Frozen »

ainsoph9 wrote:I would say that it is creating a character who is balanced enough that we do not hate him or think that he could not exist in real life.
There need to be some risk-taking though- Too balanced of a character and there would be nothing that stands out about him.

Personally on the issue of being able to relate to them or thinking they are 'realistic' (in a manner of speaking)- I've always felt that I don't have to relate to the characters to like them; but more importantly I prefer characters that have gain my respect in one way or another.
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

Horizon's MC, Toori, is dead set on one girl even though he seems to like teasing the others. Seizon's is quite fleshed out even more than the girls (I think?) if I were to base my assumptions from the anime. I have yet to spoil myself of future events regarding it. Also it seems that for this Fall AIC is taking over, hmm? I bid the staff and cast well...
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.

Return to “Commune”