What Counts as a Light Novel

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

What Counts as a Light Novel

Post by pudding321 »

This isn't serious. It really isn't. This question just came out of the box because of the following comment left on BT I saw today:
only light novel that counts is Sword Art Online!!!!
Yes. This is what some of our light novel readers think. Or perhaps, the guy above reckons that 16.5 is the only chapter that counts in SAO. Anyway, throw down some light novel definitions below, or any light novels that you think deserve to be called a light novel.
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Re: What Counts as a Light Novel

Post by Teh_ping »

Honestly, I feel that all that matters to the readers is whatever that appeals to them. Then again, there is always a rampancy of idiocy everywhere. I would have gone on my rant on 16.5 being canon or not all because some people think that sex is necessary to consummate a relationship.

Light Novel...if I have to give a brief definition, the actual idea of a light novel is that it is small and easy to carry around. Language used is very brief, many kanjis have furiganas over them (except for the common everyday kanjis), and the stories are mostly written to appeal to the readers instead of being written as a story the author has full say on. (I became disillusioned with that a long time ago)

Or I can just go tl:dr and say that a light novel weighs like a feather, or that it glows.
pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando

Post by pudding321 »

Teh_ping wrote: Light Novel...if I have to give a brief definition, the actual idea of a light novel is that it is small and easy to carry around. Language used is very brief, many kanjis have furiganas over them (except for the common everyday kanjis), and the stories are mostly written to appeal to the readers instead of being written as a story the author has full say on. (I became disillusioned with that a long time ago)
I thought why light novels were short, easily-accessible, and appealing to young readers was because this is what young readers like. Say, for example, if young readers wanted this or that element in the stories, light novel writers would include them in their stories to attract readers. With that being said, it is the readers (the masses, actually) who choose what they want in their novels, but, of course, sometimes, readers just don't know what they want to read.

Your idea of how authors don't get the full control on what they want to write is interesting. I've never really thought of this. I guess you can say the wrapping of the box is decorated to appeal the audience, while the core of the box could be set by the author? In that way, the author could retain what he wants to say, though it is veiled in a way that appeases the audience.
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

A light novel is a fictional book from Japan that does not weigh more than 1 lb (2.2 kg). :roll:

Return to “Commune”