Are you an artist or a scientist?

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Are you an artist or a scientist?

I am artistically orientated. Creativity knows no bounds!
21%
I am scientifically orientated. Logic governs the universe!
67%
I don't know and I don't care.
13%

Total votes: 39

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Are you an artist or a scientist?

Post by ainsoph9 »

It is called being an engineer. :wink:
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

always thought of myself as scientific in that my curiosity for how the world works and how to make sense of it all never fades.. though from time to time i feel like a frustrated artist as well - itching to capture on purple prose, canvas, or film a certain scenic moment, or running off for an hour or 2 on end with a mental story that i'll never commit to pen and paper. T_T
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ainsoph9 wrote:It is called being an engineer. :wink:
...or a Design Engineer.

The best of both worlds. :wink: :lol:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I know that the term "Design Engineer" is used in the industry, but it is somewhat redundant in a sense. What is an engineer supposed to do? Design. Duh. Yet, it is not unusual for low-level engineers not to really design too much, especially in certain fields of engineering. On the other hand, we cannot forget to stroke the engineer's ego, whatever little he/she may have. :P
Spoiler! :
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ainsoph9 wrote:I know that the term "Design Engineer" is used in the industry, but it is somewhat redundant in a sense. What is an engineer supposed to do? Design. Duh. Yet, it is not unusual for low-level engineers not to really design too much, especially in certain fields of engineering. On the other hand, we cannot forget to stroke the engineer's ego, whatever little he/she may have. :P
Spoiler! :
Ha! very true.

On other hand, i have a degree in Product Design, but i'm classed as a Design Engineer, yet i rarely do any engineering....thats what the Project Engineer is for!

Anything i want to do that affects the operations of our units and products, i get him to look at it, while i can get back to messing in Autocad, Solidworks, photoshop and illustrator. :P
:roll: :P
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

That all depends on the company structure and how much seniority the Project Engineer has. Typically, the requirements to become a Project Engineer means at least 5-10 years of experience and having passed the FE (sometimes the PE, too) here in the United States.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ainsoph9 wrote:That all depends on the company structure and how much seniority the Project Engineer has. Typically, the requirements to become a Project Engineer means at least 5-10 years of experience and having passed the FE (sometimes the PE, too) here in the United States.
ha. i don't think my Project Engineer has a F.E. maybe a P.E. but not entirely sure. But you know how they do in the far east, even if you aren't formally qualified, they were throw you into it, you either learn on the job or you drown and fired, only the fittest survive here! :shock: :lol: :roll:

@Onizukademongto
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Well, that is mostly a cultural thing, but it is certainly not exactly the best practice, seeing it tends to breed more accidents and structural failures. :?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ainsoph9 wrote:Well, that is mostly a cultural thing, but it is certainly not exactly the best practice, seeing it tends to breed more accidents and structural failures. :?
Haha. its not that bad, its a form of mentorship over here, since any mistakes are still overseen by a qualified individual. in this case, it's my Boss, which is chartered and qualified to his eyeballs (right up to nuclear!).

Of course, if the firm is bigger, they will sponsor you to part-time course to get you qualified for your promotion, but thats just added hassle since the mentoring culture still applies.

Always funny, watching my Proj. Engineer arse chewed out sometimes followed by a lecture, then pops back to his desk to bang out another proposal, before going back into the lions den. repeat until Boss is satisfied.

Of course i really shouldn't be laughing, i have to redraw everything and 40% of the design implementation was my idea~! :lol:

@Onizukademongto
AsterL
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by AsterL »

I incorporate fake science by bending actual laws into fiction. Artistic scientist, deal with it B)
Look at the sunset glow
Now wait for tomorrow
From the arms of sacrifice
Do we snatch freedom.

Return to “Commune”