Military

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Poke2201
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Military

Post by Poke2201 »

Right, but peace is a bit idealized thanks to media.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Right again, it is idealized, but it is the wrong ideal or at least the wrong definition for that ideal. I do not propose using a sword to compel people, but I do propose to make sure that they stop acting like spoiled brats by all and any means necessary without going into overkill.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

So which branch of the US military is your favorite?

For me I like the Marines, mainly because they are just crazy.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

On the military capacity of China:
China: Not about to attack Australia
August 9th, 2011

Author: Paul Dibb, ANU
http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2011/08/09 ... australia/

The debate in Australia about the rise of China’s military power continues to rage. It is as if China is already knocking on our door and about to pose a direct threat to us.

But the reality is quite different.

While it is true that China is beginning to develop some significant elements of military power it will be a long time before it is a peer competitor of the US.

It is quite premature to advise that Australia should encourage the US to accommodate to the realities of Chinese power, as my colleague Hugh White insists. It is downright dangerous to suggest that Australia must develop the military capability to tear an arm off China, and even provoke revolt inside China, as Ross Babbage argues. It is also incorrect, as Greg Sheridan would have us believe, that historically no country has ever developed a navy the size of China’s without going to war.

Let us look at how long it has taken China to develop what are, in fact, rather modest military capabilities. Since its first nuclear explosion in 1964, Beijing has struggled to develop a minimum nuclear deterrent force. Unlike the US and Russia, it has no credible nuclear war-fighting capability.

China’s land-based intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) force was, until quite recently, vulnerable to a disarming first strike. It has about 66 ICBMs, some of which are solid fuelled and road-mobile and therefore more difficult to target. Only about 24 of these ICBMs are truly intercontinental in range and China’s only ballistic missile-firing submarine has no experience in attacking long-range, covert patrols.

By comparison, the US has the world’s most advanced nuclear war-fighting capabilities. Compared with China’s 200 nuclear warheads, the US has 2,150 operational strategic nuclear warheads together with 2,850 warheads in reserve that are relatively quickly deployable.

It is true that China is modernising its force and we should expect it in the next few years to deploy more ICBMs capable of targeting the US. It has one new JIN-class nuclear submarine that has entered service. However, its associated JL-2 ballistic missile has encountered difficulty, failing several final test flights.

What about China’s much vaunted navy and its ability to project serious military power in our part of the world?

According to the Pentagon, the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) has only a limited capacity to communicate with submarines at sea, and the Chinese navy has no experience in managing a ballistic missile submarine fleet that performs long-range patrols with live nuclear warheads mated to missiles. China’s land-based mobile missiles may also face similar command and control challenges in wartime.

There is no doubt that Beijing is developing the capacity to make life very difficult for US naval forces operating in the approaches to China, including defending Taiwan. It is also developing a ballistic missile capable of targeting US aircraft carriers. But China’s real-time tracking radars and intelligence satellites are highly vulnerable and the US has the capability, with prompt global conventional strikes, to seriously damage China’s command and control.

As to China’s navy, it is weak in both anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and anti-air warfare. Chinese ASW capabilities, while slowly improving, are not able to provide a reasonable degree of security in open waters. Chinese attack submarines possess little ASW capability, which is the primary mission of the US attack submarine force.

The Chinese navy remains untested in modern combat and has no experience of operating in a joint battle environment. According to the Pentagon, China’s ability to sustain military power at a distance remains limited. And it is unlikely China will be able to project and sustain large forces in high-intensity combat operations far from China until well into the 2020s.

As to the claim that historically no country has developed a navy the size of China’s without using it in armed conflict, the Soviet Union had an infinitely larger and more capable navy than that of China and it never once fired a shot in anger.

China has 68 tactical submarines (28 of which are obsolete) whereas the USSR had 280 at the height of its military power. China has 78 principal surface combatants in its navy compared with 264 for the former Soviet Union. The Pentagon classifies only 25 per cent of China’s naval surface combatants (and fighter aircraft) as modern.

Many of China’s most advanced weapons are still based heavily on foreign designs (mostly Russian) copied through reverse engineering. This highlights a persistent weakness in China’s capability for innovation and a reliance on foreign suppliers for some propulsion units, fire control systems, cruise missiles, torpedoes, sensors and advanced electronics.

By all means we need to keep a close eye on the development of China’s military forces. China is undoubtedly an ambitious power seeking to claim its historical place in the sun.

But let’s not succumb to the fatal assumption that China’s rise will be a simple straight-line extrapolation.

China is a power with very substantial weaknesses. It has been described as a fragile superpower. Some experts argue the most potent threats to the communist leadership lie within China and that political survival is as important as national survival abroad.

As John Lee from the Centre for Independent Studies argues, relatively little attention in Australian foreign and security policy circles is given to the consequences of a Chinese economy with deep structural problems and a society suffering profound governance and social deficiencies.

Let us not frighten ourselves to death by drumming up the next military threat to Australia and basing our defence policy on the likelihood that we are going to be attacked by China.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Poke2201 wrote:So which branch of the US military is your favorite?

For me I like the Marines, mainly because they are just crazy.
I like the Marines as well as the Navy Seals, but if you asked me to join the United States military, that is a different story.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Doraneko wrote:
China: Not about to attack Australia
I laughed hard at the title. Sorry. :oops: :lol:
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Favourite is the: Special Air Service: Who Dare Wins.
Best of the Best! :)

Followed by the Gurkha "Queen's Own", elite infantry if any!

Finally the Royal Marines, the first Marines Ever and the last to leave!
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Sadeyo
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sadeyo »

I don't know if I can be fond of the military or not as I have the intention to do much more then what I'm actually doing.
AirBorne
Ranger
Special Forces
Delta Force

I can achieve the other 3 but it seems like I have to re-enlist just to get the opportunity for Delta Force. I have two possible routes as I'm currently walking right now, become the gung-ho soldier I once held dear to me during my younger years or calmly take advantage of all benefits around me and achieve an education before the end of my contract and continue it some more after I get out. I'm doing what I can to see if I can merge both paths into something plausible but I don't think it's going to happen, heavily on path two right now.

(I should read the first page and catch up with most of the posts to this thread.....browse other sections as well.)
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Sadeyo wrote:I don't know if I can be fond of the military or not as I have the intention to do much more then what I'm actually doing.
AirBorne
Ranger
Special Forces
Delta Force

I can achieve the other 3 but it seems like I have to re-enlist just to get the opportunity for Delta Force. I have two possible routes as I'm currently walking right now, become the gung-ho soldier I once held dear to me during my younger years or calmly take advantage of all benefits around me and achieve an education before the end of my contract and continue it some more after I get out. I'm doing what I can to see if I can merge both paths into something plausible but I don't think it's going to happen, heavily on path two right now.

(I should read the first page and catch up with most of the posts to this thread.....browse other sections as well.)
I would solely go for education. Learning new things and having fun absorbing them to expand your vision. You may survive in the wild but I want to see you build a future.

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Sadeyo wrote:I don't know if I can be fond of the military or not as I have the intention to do much more then what I'm actually doing.
AirBorne
Ranger
Special Forces
Delta Force

Well, as far as I see it, you have to trigger the right flags for any of those paths. Make sure you save your progress so you can do the other routes later on to get the "True Ending" as well. :P :lol:
Sadeyo
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sadeyo »

ainsoph9 wrote:
Well, as far as I see it, you have to trigger the right flags for any of those paths. Make sure you save your progress so you can do the other routes later on to get the "True Ending" as well. :P :lol:
Well I'm currently on the little sister route for AirBorne, Air Assault is her name and we got a date January 15, 2012. ^_^
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Ask hocchan for pointers on that route. :P
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Welcome Sadeyo, I guess you will have more in common with Teh_Ping, he's a Corporal in the Singaporean Army and also a crack Senior Translator here at Baka-Tsuki.

:]

TP: Corporal and Lieutenant are so different, Oni...and I'm still stuck at 999 posts...and it's not like I'm the only translator in an army...we'll talk about this later Sadeyo, after the 1000th post.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

ainsoph9 wrote:Ask hocchan for pointers on that route. :P
...you certainly could sort of.

Well, there is also the difference in countries, I believe....

Isn't Ping abusing his power? :roll:
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Ah, Thank you for the correction Ping!

As you can see, I do not pretend to be an armchair General with only first hand knowledge of Military things in regards to Martial Arts, Airsoft toy weaponary, anime mechas and videogame battlefields. :roll:

:lol:

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Commune”