Manzai (or gag) of the Day (Be warned of possible spoilers)

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Manzai (or gag) of the Day (Be warned of possible spoilers)

Post by larethian »

Since we have a "quote of the day" thread, why not a "manzai of the day" thread? :D

Firstly, what is Manzai? Manzai is a kind of stand-up comedy which involves at least 2 people trading jokes, out of which at least 1 person is a straight man (tsukkomi), and the rest can be the funny man (boke). Simplistically, 'boke' means simple-minded/air-headed, whose role is to set the joke or the environment to make a joke, while the 'tsukkomi' which means 'jabbing', makes a jab at what the 'boke' says, completing the joke. It's much like xiangsheng for the Chinese. Manzai-style jokes are often used for comedy these days in anime, manga, 4-koma, light novels. (wiki Manzai for more information).

Some examples of comedy oriented series which uses a lot of manzai-style jokes:
Gintama (tsukkomi = Shinpacchi)
Sket Dance (tsukkomi = Himeko)
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka (tsukkomi = Ayumu)
Seitokai no Ichizon (tsukkomi = rotates, usually between Ken, Minatsu and Kurimu IIRC)
the list is inexhaustive.

a couple of examples:
Boke: The police is keeping this area under surveillance for 22 hours a day
Tsukkomi: Just cover the remaining 2 hours, dammit!

A: Let's make a theme song for our club
C: Theme song? Do you have any experience in composing music?
A: Me? There's no way I will have that right. B-san, do you have any experience in composing music
B: There's no way I will have that right
A: Then, C-kun, how about you?
C: There's no way I will have that right
A (Boke): Sigh. A bunch of useless people
C (Tsukkomi): You should be the last one to say that about others right!

if you find something that cracks you up, or if you are creative enough to make your own, post it here. :)
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Manzai (or gag) of the Day (Be warned of possible spoile

Post by larethian »

I made something up in 2 minutes. A dajare manzai gag. Enjoy.

Two students were studying Japanese and decided to include it into their daily speech, which was overheard by the teachers.
A: I went to the suupaa today to buy some half priced bento.
B: Oh really? Did you get any?
A: Yeah, I took three hours to swap the old one from my aircon system though.
B (tsukkomi): Wait. So you were referring to 'VENT (bento)' rather than a 'lunch box (bento)!?
Teacher (tsukkomi 2): Wait wait, before that, in the first place, can an ordinary person change their aircon vents without proper training!?
Teacher 2 (tsukkomi 3): Wait wait wait, before that, do they sell aircon vents in supermarkets!? And at half price on top of that!?
A (tsukkomi 4): Wait wait wait wait, it's not necessary to say 'wait' an additional time for each successive tsukkomi right!?
B, Teacher, Teacher 2 (tsukkomi 5): """We don't want to hear that from you!!"""

Return to “Commune”