News of the day

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: News of the day

Post by ainsoph9 »

Uh, you can do that without naming the ship and designing it after the original while claiming that it is unsinkable. Seriously, that is just asking for it.
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

Yes and no. We know that they would built it similar to the titanic, but with the new security technology. Did they said that it would be name Titanic? Seriously, personnaly, i wouldn't be against crossing the ocean name the titanic :lol:

But i admit, this is only a way to get people interested :wink:

nice new pic ainsoph! Who is your new caracter? mine is from xenosaga 8)
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

One of the things that you learn really quick in engineering school is that there is no such thing as "fool-proof" or "idiot-proof." Although new technology can help in certain situations, it can also just mean more inventive ways for people to SNAFU. To me, having the arrogance to try to do something that failed and claimed the lives of hundreds of people is just stupid and insane. It is not like there are no other ways of crossing the ocean via ship. I could see it being somewhat different for the sake of proof-of-concept, as in being the first ship to cross the ocean. That is not the case here. This is just boldfaced defiance and idiocy.

More like asking for ridicule...

My new avatar is this character from Touhou.
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

"Can distinctly judge anything to be Good or Evil" Oh YEAH :lol:

Indeed their is still catastrophes like the one 1 year ago that sink because the pilot was asleep or getting crazy. But in 1890, their was no radar/sonar stuffs. I think it is a good way to prove to the ones that are scare to take the boat because of sinking that even a "titanic" can survive to the 21th century. The industry of crossing seas with boat need to start again (relancer in french)! I hope it means what I want it to mean :?

Also, I think creating a second titanic is an even better way to remember the ones who died! I mean, better that looking at some stupid movie where the main goal is more to make us remember of two lovers that were separate by death. It's more like our japanese anime love story than an historical reference :lol:
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I can also tell you that relying on your instruments too much can be just as detrimental as not having them or using them at all. Believe it or not, I knew ship captains who had run aground using solely their instruments and were competent captains. This is especially true in low visibility situations. Instruments can fail or be mis-calibrated just as much as human judgment can be impaired. I can also speak to personal experience where I have seen radar and depth/sonar readings that are completely wrong on more than one occasion.

I do not know if recreating another Titanic is a good way to remember the victims. If you think about it, that is like saying someone needs to be shot in the foot a second time to remember what happened the first time and how it felt. In this case, especially for the few survivors left, one might view it as having to see the Titanic raised from the ocean floor to take more victims with it. I am not saying that it will happen 100% for sure. I am just saying that doing this could be considered more insensitive than not. In remembering tragedies, we have to remember how to be human and how to approach them with fellow human beings who have suffered pain and loss.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

The only way to make a run-aground-proof ship is to give them wheels! :twisted:

Problem = Solved. NEXT?! :roll: :wink: :lol:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

nice one oni :)

High monkey singing? :

You mean Like This?

who do we put a link on a word?
Last edited by onizuka-gto on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit in link! :p
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

The things we put up with in the Far East, Typhoons who love the far east so much, he'll go circles for them! :roll:
nwp_1215.png
Good for Hong Kong, bad for Taiwan and Okinawa! Looks like he's doing the tour thing, going to visit Shanghai, Beijing and probably for the hell of it, Seoul in South Korea.

I personally blame "Oppa Gangnam Style!" music video, That stuff is mad but addictive. It'll drive anyone gaga if you listen to it enough times! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

I thought I would be avoiding all forms of K-fever on BT, but now you just had to mention Gangnam Style.

My social circle is going crazy with that now, but at least it's better than TTS/SNSD 24/7.

Maybe the typhoon will wipe that guy out :(
loliDragon
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by loliDragon »

I was thinking what are you taling about with the Gangnam Style and google it .... Cant say it is that bad, but this kind of music makes me glad that I am classic music fan ^^

Any how people... I am a bit disappointed no one else considers this to be news....
Neil Armstrong DIED! that is like the news of the month for me... "That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind" is DEAD! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

@oni: their's also one who recently hit haiti/republic dom. and may transform into an ouragan. Should hit Florida soon :(
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

loliDragon wrote:Any how people... I am a bit disappointed no one else considers this to be news....
Neil Armstrong DIED! that is like the news of the month for me... "That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind" is DEAD! :cry: :cry: :cry:
I consider this to be news, but the world has forgotten what space exploration has done for it, sadly. Ergo, if people do not realize what others have done for them, they fail to appreciate those things and the people who did them. This is true when it comes to space exploration. For instance, here are just some of those inventions. I do not think that people remember what Neil Armstrong has done for mankind. Either that, or they just do not know out of ignorance. If it were not for Neil Armstrong, much of the technological advances that we have today would not exist nor would a lot of people be alive or have lived as long as they did via improved pacemakers and bulletproof armor, etc.
loliDragon
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by loliDragon »

@ainsoph9 it brings me joy that someone still remembers ^^

In the last decade governments have been moving further and further away from space programs, which leads us to our current situation where space becomes privatized.
There are actually a lot of Enterprises that are heavily space related and most of them are funded by billionaires who still care (or just see the money in it).
Because of this dire situation there are few funds and events going around trying to promote space explorations, for example 100yss. Let us hope we shall not remain mere bugs on the ground.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Worth of a Passport.

Attack on United States Embassies.

Gloss: I can understand being offended by something that is apparently sacrilegious or irreverent towards one's religion and religious views, but no movie is EVER worth killing people over. There are much better and healthier ways of showing your disdain for something than rioting and murder.
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

Yeah, it was in all the news... and i may want to become a diplomat or an ambassador one day... well, hope it's not that dangerous...

Return to “Commune”