Flash is going to take over the web

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Flash is going to take over the web

Post by jonathanasdf »

http://www.unrealengine.com/flash/

Arrow keys and WASD are alternatives.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Flash is going to take over the web

Post by hobogunner »

Just tried to load that on my iPad. :?

I doubt flash will, but HTML5 is certainly a major contender(no spell check) in that race.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

Don't try it on mobile, for now it's restricted to PC. Adobe has plans to eventually allow this quality even on mobile devices like iPad and other tablets.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

I don't think Apple changed their minds about iOS and flash :roll:
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

Flash sucks though from the end users' ability standpoint. Generally, Flash is used to conceal and/or provide DRM, thus, it isn't a tool that enables users to do more, but forces users to be capable of doing significantly less. Adobe should rename it as "DRMTOLLBOOTH". Flash's popularity is not due to end users, but to corporate users employing it as the user's interface to the internet. HTML was just to get the users to the site, and the DRM Flash tool then took the users onwards from there.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

って言うか。なんでこのスレッドはここにあるのか?のスレッドはGaming and Computingってへ行くはずだよな。だれか、のスレッドを動けばはどうだ?ありがとう!

(Why is this thread here? It should go to "Gaming and Computing." Could someone please move it? Thanks!)
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

Well description for Commune was "anything that doesn't have to do with BT"... didn't bother scrolling down more to see if there were other sections better for it :P
Naeko wrote:Flash sucks though from the end users' ability standpoint. Generally, Flash is used to conceal and/or provide DRM, thus, it isn't a tool that enables users to do more, but forces users to be capable of doing significantly less. Adobe should rename it as "DRMTOLLBOOTH". Flash's popularity is not due to end users, but to corporate users employing it as the user's interface to the internet. HTML was just to get the users to the site, and the DRM Flash tool then took the users onwards from there.
Uhh, I'm pretty sure what I'm posting here is proving you wrong. Also, Flash itself doesn't prevent anything, so you can't blame the technology; corporations could just as well use HTML5 and enforce the same DRM. Flash is moving more and more away from being just another tool for creating pretty interactive websites, if you take a look at their roadmap. I really don't get it, doesn't anyone else find something like this running this fast on a browser amazing? I mean, compare this to the other crappy 3D games/simulations available on a webbrowser and it's a world of difference.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

jonathanasdf wrote:I really don't get it, doesn't anyone else find something like this running this fast on a browser amazing? I mean, compare this to the other crappy 3D games/simulations available on a webbrowser and it's a world of difference.
The fact that 1 corporation owns a monopoly in it? It's quite different from HTML in that point. That's incorporated in with my new browser, as opposed to having to update / use flash often.

It is amazing, but I'll just never use it very often.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

But the Flex SDK which is what compiles to the .swf format that the Flash Player expects is open source. In fact, there is another language HaXe that you can use to develop cross-platform to flash apps, as well as native windows/macs/linux/mobile programs. The .swf format itself is well documented, and if someone wants to they can write their own player to render it.

In terms of browser 3D, there are alternatives such as java apps, Unity SDK, and Silverlight (which has kinda died).

And also, I don't see how knowing that 1 corporation owns a monopoly on some technology makes you dislike it. All major browsers support Flash, and developers like targeting Flash exactly for the reason that it's the same across every browser. The biggest headache of working with HTML is supporting multiple browsers most of which aren't even standards compliant. Browsers also have very periodic updates too. Flash is extremely developer-friendly, and thus by extension user-friendly, because when an HTML/javascript developer gets lazy and doesn't want to support certain browsers, it's ultimately the users that suffer.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ben1234 wrote:I don't think Apple changed their minds about iOS and flash :roll:
Still doesn't work on my iPod Touch even with the Cydia add-ons...actually, I didn't dare to try it, it says that safari might crash because of that.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando

Post by pudding321 »

Flash was cool years ago, but I doubt it can still stand now.

Technology just flies too fast—can't catch 'em. 8)
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
dalek
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Date A Live :)
...but since it's down, I'm in limbo...
so it's going to be ZnT if it's still up.

Post by dalek »

The PlayBook has Flash 11. In 2015, you get a 404.
Spoiler! :
RoR account:s04
XDA account:i747m
BT username:dalek
Open the spoiler, it is the box...
Spoiler! :
Watch it all and you are a box god.
...open the box, my friend...

Return to “Commune”