How did you come in contact with LNs/Mangas ?

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you learn about LNs/Mangas?

Friends
29%
Advertisements
No votes
World wide Web
43%
Franchises
No votes
TV
29%

Total votes: 21

pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: How did you come in contact with LNs/Mangas ?

Post by pudding321 »

Silimir wrote:Oh god, why :roll:

(don't worry, I even read the manga and still have it at home :) )

You watched to much anime :) Well I too remember myself watching a lot, but these are not my only memories of my childhood
Well, some other memories, including playing pokemon (I don't understand any English when I played it, but strange enough I got through the game like any other kid of my age; oh and yeah, we use emulators to play them back then since our parents wouldn't buy a gameboy for us) and other computer games, neopet card game, those yu-gi-oh card games, yoyos, spinning tops...(what? it's still jap anime culture?)

omg, it's in every spect of my childhood. Japan is taking over the world by its culture! (yeah right, years ago, now it's Korea =p)
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

yu-gi-oh card... remembering... of that... do you know i have 3 egyptien god card?

I got them while fighting somebody else. Thanks to a card to destroy all the field and my blue eye lighning dragon, i manage to win! Old old time.

I also have pokemon card, put never played with them though XD
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

Silimir wrote:yu-gi-oh card... remembering... of that... do you know i have 3 egyptien god card?

I got them while fighting somebody else. Thanks to a card to destroy all the field and my blue eye lighning dragon, i manage to win! Old old time.

I also have pokemon card, put never played with them though XD
Pokemon cards :o I used to draw the pics from them...must say, I was pretty good in it 8) I didn't even leave my bag also from it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

would be soo cool if i could see it! :) I couldn't draw them, was and still a noob in drawing!
pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando

Post by pudding321 »

Silimir wrote:would be soo cool if i could see it! :) I couldn't draw them, was and still a noob in drawing!
Yeah it's a total misconception that anime lovers can draw.

Well...I used to draw when I was below 12...when teachers don't give me that disappointed look when I draw something bad...
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
Silimir
Project Translator

Post by Silimir »

I so undertand that feeling LOL:

me trying to draw a face.... looks like a watermelon, she says...
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

Silimir wrote:I so undertand that feeling LOL:

me trying to draw a face.... looks like a watermelon, she says...
I was proud of myself when was a kid. Winnig every damn drawing competition. But when it comes to drawing human faces (potrait and mind you not anime characters, they are my speciality) I am horrible. :lol:
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

When my daughter was a teenager, she was big into drawing. She did great on almost anything non-human, but everything human wound up looking like something from anime. Her art teachers did not appreciate that . . . :roll:
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

rpapo wrote:When my daughter was a teenager, she was big into drawing. She did great on almost anything non-human, but everything human wound up looking like something from anime. Her art teachers did not appreciate that . . . :roll:

LOL! :lol:

Love it! Sounds like your Daughter is going to be a great mangaka!

Which doesn't say much about her art teacher... :roll:

Well, art is a matter of taste after all, i remember i was rubbish in art lesson when i was in High School, couldn't draw anything human/life-like for my life, but i had a great knack of drawing mechanical things.

My art teacher was great, she appreciated my style. She did encourage me to try to fulfil the brief of the task but make it more my mechanical style and gave me the freedom to draw my own things during class, not once scolding me for not following the traditional drawing we were doing in class. In short, her encouragement allowed me to pass her class, but also gave me confidence in my own drawing abilities which eventually helped me follow my industrial/product design career.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

onizuka-gto wrote:
rpapo wrote:When my daughter was a teenager, she was big into drawing. She did great on almost anything non-human, but everything human wound up looking like something from anime. Her art teachers did not appreciate that . . . :roll:
LOL! :lol:

Love it! Sounds like your Daughter is going to be a great mangaka!

Which doesn't say much about her art teacher... :roll:
Agreed, but that was a long time ago. She eventually had to choose: art or something she could earn a living off of. She chose business, and now works as a production scheduler for one of the regional steel mills. Leisure time, though, is largely spent in cos-play type activities like Renaissance Faires and Steampunk Expositions. "Speak like a Pirate" day around here is fun for her, since it's an excuse to dress up. Her drawing abilities now get used mostly in designing costumes.
onizuka-gto wrote:Well, art is a matter of taste after all, i remember i was rubbish in art lesson when i was in High School, couldn't draw anything human/life-like for my life, but i had a great knack of drawing mechanical things.

My art teacher was great, she appreciated my style. She did encourage me to try to fulfil the brief of the task but make it more my mechanical style and gave me the freedom to draw my own things during class, not once scolding me for not following the traditional drawing we were doing in class. In short, her encouragement allowed me to pass her class, but also gave me confidence in my own drawing abilities which eventually helped me follow my industrial/product design career.
In the end, you need to choose a career that interests you, and that you can have fun with. The unfortunate reality of things, though, dictates that you must also choose something that other people are willing to pay you to do, and it helps a lot if you don't have millions of other people wanting to do the same thing at the same time. Your earnings are the combination of how good you are, and how little competition you have in what you do. A lot of life's problems melt away when you have a good income . . . so long as you don't sell your soul to get it.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

I shall only point one arrow in the topic of art, and that arrow is towards my avatar. -->

....it's just best not to let me near the art supplies, giving me paper and pencil can be scary enough. :roll:
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

hobogunner wrote:I shall only point one arrow in the topic of art, and that arrow is towards my avatar. -->

....it's just best not to let me near the art supplies, giving me paper and pencil can be scary enough. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My childhood greatly involved drawing. With my mother helping in the color combinations, I was very good at it. Except that during my drawing sessions I was always clumsy with the surroundings...dropping my paint glass, my paint colors 8) After much such incidences I realised that I am only good in sketching. Painting is way out of our league. :lol:

I remember when I had drawn Goku, Vegita and Gohan. Those were one of my bests...and I ruined those by painting. :lol:
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Holy, drawing.

Worst. Nightmare. Ever.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

If you have the talent, use it. Something my daughter drew in high school:
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

rpapo wrote:If you have the talent, use it. Something my daughter drew in high school:
wow...nice one there :D

Return to “Commune”