TOUHOU!!!

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: TOUHOU!!!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I know NOTHING about Tohou, but I'm going to check it out. Anything I should know before watching?
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:I know NOTHING about Tohou, but I'm going to check it out. Anything I should know before watching?
- Remember that it's a DOUJINSHI in the form of an ANIME, so expect fan-made quality, not levels of ZOMGFSUNRISESTUDIO.
- If you're not the kind who can stand knowing nothing about a certain non-anime series before watching its anime, be warned though. (I only knew from what I've been told about Touhou so far, yet I'm attempting to watch it myself though).
- In-game terms that will of course send you clueless if you didn't play it.
- And tons of other stuff you'd best ask the real Touhou fans :3
- The possibility of being converted into a Touhou fan after watching it! :O
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

I enjoyed it. Very good quality for being non-professional and it kept me interested even though I've had no experience with the series before. 8)
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

its pretty good for a doujinshi but I did have a few things to complain about.

first off, I hated the voices for Patchouli, Aya, and Remilia. They're way too high pitched though Patchouli's wasn't too terribly off. Aya and Remilia's should be deeper, I was thinking like Evangeline from Negima for Remilia and Aya's just hurts my ears. Oh and Marisa's wasn't exactly what I hoped for but its within acceptable range

Second, I hate the way Aya was depicted, the game dialog and the way she's depicted in SWR should have made her much cooler instead of that crazy ditz type feel I got. I mean I'm not asking for a total badass but she was pretty calm and collected in all the official depictions.

I am rather pleased with how Remilia, Reimu, Suika, and Marisa's personalities turned out though. Sakuya's personality reminds me a bit too much of SSiB type though. (*shudder*) but it balances out because Rie Tanaka <3

Though the spell card battle was a bit short, I still enjoyed it. I always imagine fights in the game turn out something similar to that effect but less posing and chanting though. errr except Patchouli since her magic is the chanting type.

as for theories. The moriya shrine is edging in on the festival business though i can't think of why they would want Patchouli's books.

I am looking forward to the rest of the series!

For dear ol' Dad's sake here's some in game terms that might come up:

Gensokoyo: the world which the touhou series takes place in, geographically its located somewhere in Japan. There is a large barrier separating Gensokoyo from the rest of the world but the series is supposed to take place during modern time seeing as how Yukari warps in an Ipod at one point. The Great Gensokoyo barrier isn't perfect though as some outsiders sometimes wanders in only to be eaten by a random youkai. Reimu's shrine is located near the edge of the border somewhere and her shrine is supposedly connected to a shrine outside of the border.

Youkai: you can look up the general term on wiki but youkai in touhou are basically everyone but Reimu, Marisa, and Sakuya who are all humans (except for sakuya. who knows what she is?) if the Lunarians show up though know that they're not youkai either. Youkai and humans are natural enemies since Youkai eat humans. Humans are basically the minority in gensokyo with the majority of them having little to no powers. Of course there are some exceptions such as Reimu and Marisa who are exceptionally powerful and can defend themselves against youkais. There are even some youkai hunters according to ZUN.

Usually the youkai who have human shape and can understand human speech don't eat humans very often (there are exceptions though like Rumia, Remilia, and Flandre). So its assumed that other types of lesser youkai aren't human shaped or can understand human language.

Danmaku: A type of fighting. Depending on the circle it can either be a serious and dangerous conflict or a very pretty show of skill. I think this is the first version. Basically two combatants keep shooting each other till one of them gives up or is incapacitated.

Spell Cards: Think of them as super moves that consume a card charged with spells. For players in the game this would be their emergency bomb, bosses this would be their supper shot mode. Story wise its like a limited use super move. Patchouli's Royal Flare, Reimu's Fantasy Sign, and Aya's super flight card are all spell cards. They can range from offensive(MASTER SPARK!) like Patchouli's and Reimu's to support like Aya's, to defensive like a few of Reisen's. Basically they're noble phantasms in F S/N terms.

Incident: When reimu declares something as an incident, she's pissed off enough to get serious. Reimu doesn't understand the term deductive reasoning or investigation, she goes around beating the crap out of anyone suspicious until the incident is resolved. Don't be fooled by her looks, Reimu is a Mikuru.
Last edited by Setherzam on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerl
Astral Realm

Post by Jerl »

Spellcards aren't anything more than named attacks. The role of spellcards is to regulate things so youkai aren't so completely overpowered and so humans aren't so completely underpowered. It is a requirement of the spellcard rules that one does not use their full power, so them being "super moves" is a bit off of a description. They're the most powerful moves you can perform without breaking rules, but spellcards aren't needed for certain to perform them. You'll just get gangraped by everyone else if you don't.

This is one of the most annoying misconceptions I see often in the Touhou fanbase.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

Jerl wrote:Spellcards aren't anything more than named attacks. The role of spellcards is to regulate things so youkai aren't so completely overpowered and so humans aren't so completely underpowered. It is a requirement of the spellcard rules that one does not use their full power, so them being "super moves" is a bit off of a description. They're the most powerful moves you can perform without breaking rules, but spellcards aren't needed for certain to perform them. You'll just get gangraped by everyone else if you don't.

This is one of the most annoying misconceptions I see often in the Touhou fanbase.

again it depends on the circle. Officially thats what they are but most circles ignore the whole spell card system and just use them as uber moves. In the anime it seems that they're also going to ignore the whole set rules of danmaku thing.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

IRC is leaking over into the forums. :roll:
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I just watched the first episode last night. I liked what I saw. I tried finding the list of seiyuu online, but I could not find anything. Animenewsnetwork did not have the anime up on their site, which I find odd. Watching the series reminded of how I have wanted to play the games but never could find anything. Does anyone know where I could find legal copies of the games? I know I can pretty much kiss off play the first 5 or so because of system compatibility problems. Maybe I should ask my friend to find them for me as well who is in Japan right now... :?
rikimtasu
Haruhiist Disciple

Post by rikimtasu »

ainsoph9 wrote:I just watched the first episode last night. I liked what I saw. I tried finding the list of seiyuu online, but I could not find anything. Animenewsnetwork did not have the anime up on their site, which I find odd. Watching the series reminded of how I have wanted to play the games but never could find anything. Does anyone know where I could find legal copies of the games? I know I can pretty much kiss off play the first 5 or so because of system compatibility problems. Maybe I should ask my friend to find them for me as well who is in Japan right now... :?
It not a offical anime,hence no way this thing will list on ANN LOL.
Heres Yu translation on CV list on offical site:
Seiyuu Information!
in no particular order

Mai Nakahara as
Reimu Hakurei

Notable Roles...
Higurashi no Nakukoro ni as Rena Ryuuguu
CLANNAD as Nagisa Furukawa
Utawarerumono as Yuzuha

Miyuki Sawashiro as
Marisa Kirisame

Notable Roles...
Rozen Maiden as Shinku
Kannagi as Tsugumi Aoba
Utawarerumono as Aruru

Ayumi Fujimura as
Aya Syameimaru

Notable Roles...
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki as Kyouka Midarezaki
Asatte no Houkou as Karada Iokawa

Mikako Takahashi as
Patchouli Knowledge

Notable Roles...
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS as Caro Ru Lushe
Hayate the Combat Butler as Ayumu Nishizawa

Rie Tanaka as
Sakuya Izayoi

Notable Roles...
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED as Lacus Clyne
Rozen Maiden as Suigintou
Hayate the Combat Butler as Maria

Ayumi Tsuji as
Remilia Scarlet

Notable Roles...
Skygirls as Elise von Dietrich
Potemayo Guchuko

Aki Toyosaki as
Suika Ibuki

Notable Roles...
Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho as Amuro Ninagawa
Shugo Chara! as Suu

Hong Meiling
? ? ? (no big reason, really...)

Narration by
Kikuko Inoue

Notable Roles...
Ah! My Goddess as Belldandy
Onegai Teacher as Mizuho Kazami
Gun X Sword as Carmen 99
Source:
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index ... pic=1495.0

Aslo,wiki helps.
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Touhou_Wiki

I sorta give this thing a 4 star,under the way of a doujin anime.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Enjoyed the anime quite a lot. Loved the way Reimu turned out (too-lazy-to-be-bothered type), just like the way I'd imagine her to be. Love the fact that Nakahara Mai's voicing her too~

I enjoyed the doujin references too, like Sakuya calling Meiling "China", Marisa's "borrowing" etc (don't think they were part of the original game, but rather, doujin-popularized stuff?). Also liked the Flandre mention >:D

The spellcard battle, short as it was, interested me too, though I have to lament about how lame Royal Flare appears to me. It's an Extra Stage spellcard damnit!
/me claws out throat and dies
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

yeah wish royal flare was more like the IaMP or SWR version... ah well. As for the marisa thing they did mention her borrowing and never returning in Bohemian Archive. Thats where she came up with the excuse that she's human and they can have it back when she's dead
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

like tgm i know nothing about touhou cept is a game. know where i can download it?
and someone explain why is it good or a cult classic?

baka baka baka
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

what are you talking about? I've never seen that one before.... EVER.

well the main download site is no longer available so I can only suggest that you look around via torrents or something.

http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Touhou_Wiki

has a list of all the touhou games. # 1-5 needs an emulator though. You could honestly start of with The Embodiment of the Scarlet devil and not miss out much storywise since almost every character from the first 5 games fell off the face of Gensokoyo
rikimtasu
Haruhiist Disciple

Post by rikimtasu »

Note that this doujin anime have a timeline on at least after IaMP,or some sort of thing.It is better to start with The Embodiment of the Scarlet devil,even thought myself started in Touhou 7.

Return to “Animes”