Most Annoying Male Character ever

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Most annoying Male Character in Anime

Shinji (Evangelion)
40%
Shirou (Fate/Stay Night)
20%
Sergay (Mai Otome)
10%
Emo-boy-from-GSD (Gundam Seed Destiny)
7%
Maebara Keiichi (Higurashi)
17%
Yuuiji (Shakugan no Shana)
3%
Koizumi Itsuki (SuzuHaru)
3%
Izumi Shion (GANTZ)
No votes
Jun (Rozen Maiden)
No votes

Total votes: 30

Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Have you watched the entire series? Also, what is your question? Post it on the post I made. I'll see if I can answer. Not a NGE expert though.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

The entire series is only those 24 episodes and the movie, right?
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Yea. Exept there are 2 movies. And 26 episodes. And the director's cut. And the other moves that's gonna come out.
Florin
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Florin »

There were 26 episodes of Evangelion originally, then the End of Evangelion was made as an alternate ending (to substitute last 2 episodes). Both endings suck, but the original one is at least less depressing. As for the characters, it's not just Shinji but the entire cast is irritating mental case one way or another.
There is no gravity: The Earth just sucks.
Nitewolfz
Astral Realm

Post by Nitewolfz »

Actually in my opinion, the original ending (epiodes 25&26) focus on the psychological aspects, whereas the movie endings are the more "physical" aspects, so it's the same ending (except for that very uncalled for wanking scene). Lol, the cast is alot less annoying when you're undergoing the same problems and you learn to relate with them (perhaps I'm a little psychotic on my own). I find idealists far more annoying (especially whiny ones).
Florin

Post by Florin »

Nitewolfz wrote:Actually in my opinion, the original ending (epiodes 25&26) focus on the psychological aspects, whereas the movie endings are the more "physical" aspects, so it's the same ending (except for that very uncalled for wanking scene). Lol, the cast is alot less annoying when you're undergoing the same problems and you learn to relate with them (perhaps I'm a little psychotic on my own). I find idealists far more annoying (especially whiny ones).
Well, I think I agree with you here, these endings just show the same event from different POV. Truth is, creators were simply short on time and money when making original ending, so they chose to give it a "surrealistic" and "psychological" feel as an excuse for lame animation. And the End of Evangelion is actually the ending they wanted to make in the first place.

Also, you are basically confirming my theory that Evangelion is anime for psychotic people :wink:
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Quoting director Hideki Anno:
I don't understand why so many people like Evangelion - the characters are so sick!
I kinda hated Shinji throughout the series, but not as much as perhaps Keichi or Shirou. Sure he whines a lot, but then again you have to remember that he's being connected to a living mecha that is connected with his nervous system and is difficult as hell to pilot - not to mention that millions of people depend on you, that's a lot of stress. And he's only 14. And he's already as good as an orphan. His mum died while he was young, and Gendou doesn't give a damn about him. All these psychological factors probably weighed down a lot on him, so I can at least relate with that.

Of course, some people will just say that he's a whiny Itsuki, and a pansy, and real men should just shut up and pilot the damn thing. While it's also partially true, all I'm going to say is, you're being too hard on the kid :D

If you ask me, Gendou is more of a detestable character than Shinji. Sure, he's a brilliant strategist and all, but he's pretty much a failure as a father IMO. Just my two cents.
/me claws out throat and dies
pxstg
Astral Realm

Post by pxstg »

As Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, the mangaka and character designer of Eva said:
"Our aim was to be the antithesis of all giant robot animated shows around us."
I'd say they did a damn good job if that's the case. Shinji doesn't just relapse in character development after episode 16, he actually takes a pretty solid turn for the worse. It's one of the motifs in Eva: whenever characters become determined and seem like they will over come difficulties, they fail completely. (Asuka vs. Mass produced evas, Shinji vs the angel in ep16, everybody vs. the angel in ep19, etc.) It is really an incredibly cruel show, because for the first half it really emotionally attaches the viewer to the characters and for the second half it brutally destroys each and every one of them.If you watch it purely out of love for the characters... yeah it is a seriously masochistic experience. There is lots and lots of social and psychological commentary in Evangelion as well however, and after watching it a couple bazillion times, you can sort of separate yourself from the horror and appreciate its full depth.

I have to agree with HolyCow on Shinji's case though... you try having your dad fuse your mom's soul with a giant hideous robot when you're four years old and living in separation from anyone who remotely cares about you in a post apocalyptic world only to be called back by your dad again later to act as the pilot of your mom-robot-beast (which you still have heavily suppressed memories of) and fight some outlandish monster attacking your dad's underground city. It's a tough life, seriously. :P
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

pxstg wrote:I have to agree with HolyCow on Shinji's case though... you try having your dad fuse your mom's soul with a giant hideous robot when you're four years old and living in separation from anyone who remotely cares about you in a post apocalyptic world only to be called back by your dad again later to act as the pilot of your mom-robot-beast (which you still have heavily suppressed memories of) and fight some outlandish monster attacking your dad's underground city. It's a tough life, seriously. :P
Psssh, I could do all that and I still have time to do homework and get a full eight hours of sleep. Piece of cake.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Dan wrote:
pxstg wrote:I have to agree with HolyCow on Shinji's case though... you try having your dad fuse your mom's soul with a giant hideous robot when you're four years old and living in separation from anyone who remotely cares about you in a post apocalyptic world only to be called back by your dad again later to act as the pilot of your mom-robot-beast (which you still have heavily suppressed memories of) and fight some outlandish monster attacking your dad's underground city. It's a tough life, seriously. :P
Psssh, I could do all that and I still have time to do homework and get a full eight hours of sleep. Piece of cake.
Only 8? I could get at least 10.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I want to change my vote to Keiichi now...
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Setherzam wrote:I want to change my vote to Keiichi now...
Why? Shirou is more annoying than him IMHO.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

ben1234 wrote:Shiki's powers allows him to destroy anything, as long as he has a sharp object.
Sorry about double posting.

The more precise term for this is kill, as explained in the game, anime, and manga. Also, he doesn't even need a sharp object. He could use his finger.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Jumpyshoes wrote:
ben1234 wrote:Shiki's powers allows him to destroy anything, as long as he has a sharp object.
Sorry about double posting.

The more precise term for this is kill, as explained in the game, anime, and manga. Also, he doesn't even need a sharp object. He could use his finger.
So you can "kill" a chair?
Florin

Post by Florin »

It's not that anyone's saying Shinji's behavior is unrealistic, you know. It's just that whatever reasons he has don't make him any less annoying. Overloading character with angst to make him look more "complex" is a cheap thing to do.

Return to “Animes”