Neon Genesis Evangelion

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by Kinny Riddle »

b0mb3r wrote:where did you saw it? the subs? wait are you even from America?
What are you talking about? Yeah, it was subbed, but I did say I saw it in a C-I-N-E-M-A.

And I never once said I was ever in America. Hell, I never even been there before. Is Oni the only one that knows I'm in Asia?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Yeah only about half of the forum's populace is in the USA.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Kinny Riddle wrote: What are you talking about? Yeah, it was subbed, but I did say I saw it in a C-I-N-E-M-A.

And I never once said I was ever in America. Hell, I never even been there before. Is Oni the only one that knows I'm in Asia?
sorry i do forget. you are from the Philippines right?

baka baka baka
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

Doubt it. There are no Evangelion theatrical presentations in the Philippines AFAIK. Try Hong Kong or Taipei.
まず隗より始めよ。
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

b0mb3r wrote: sorry i do forget. you are from the Philippines right?
Me? A Pinoy? Whatever makes you think that?

joay_b's guess is much closer. 8) Where else do you think I obtain my light novels from to translate for you guys?

(I think B-T is the only place that translates light novels to Tagalog. )

Anyway, can we get back on discussing the awesomeness that was Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Dunno aboyut the rebuild, I saw the first film, it was a mazing in High Def, however I was disappointed in that they had to cut alot. It was inevitable, but still sad.

I miss the opening scene of the first episode, the artistic montage of the flames, the destruction, and then the quick switch of the silent white room. it was mysterious and even now, a fantastic piece of cinematography.

ahh....well I'll talk more about it, when I've seen the rest of the other films.....
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
yajra03

Post by yajra03 »

ive just watched the evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 it was so freaking awesome!!! 10/10!! cant wait for the third movie!!!

shinji was better here compare to the series and i fell in love with rei, she was so beatiful in the movie!!! :D

" nope, god hates us. even if we go, he'll send us back "
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

yajra03 wrote:ive just watched the evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 it was so freaking awesome!!! 10/10!! cant wait for the third movie!!!

shinji was better here compare to the series and i fell in love with rei, she was so beatiful in the movie!!! :D
did they showed the 2nd one in theater near you or torrent?

baka baka baka
yajra03

Post by yajra03 »

torrent only. it was a cam copy.

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

yajra03 wrote:it was a cam copy.
i see you have no patience.

baka baka baka
yajra03

Post by yajra03 »

yeah, but still watchable.

i finally watched the dvd copy.. epic film!!!

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Wow an year pass since the 2.0 movie was released. Got myself a new computer so now it can handle blu-ray quality anime. Funny how even 360 and 720 is now insufficient for my view that only 1080i and up do. so my conclusion?

Mixed

Good Points: Quality, pacing, music is such an "eye-candy", such "fan-service" that I'll be the spoiled brat and take it all in for its awesome makings. Is nice to be reacquainted with everyone's favorite casts.

Bad Points: Maybe is too early to say since there are two movies left but I find the lack of psychological and character development disturbing. I feel like this movie is made only those who knows the series and not for new comers. Meaning we already know Shinji is a whiny, emo, gay boy but here he is a bit "GAR". I know Rebuild is a re-interpretation who the character are but I felt they are down-played. I feel now Asuka and Rei are playing more of a "moe" role than before and Shinji is just an answer to everyone's complaint. Misato and Kaji roles are now diminished. I mean what the hell Kaji is there anyway anymore?
Spoiler! :
Where was his awesome speech to motivate Shinji to fight again?

I usually hope that re-interpretation add something to this series, not subtract it. I know Evangelion is a cash-cow but watching this move appear such a visual evidence. I mean look at Mari Illustrious Makinami. She is playing the megu-archtype for fanservice.
Spoiler! :
boob bounce and all
My conclusion: I earlier compare Fullmetal Alchemist anime series to its Brotherhood counterpart to be more of a "human condition" focus while Brotherhood is more action-pack. What happened here is also similar but rather inferior to my comparison. So friend watch it for the service, not for the reason why we love Evangelion so much: their characters are so f*cked up.

baka baka baka
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Rather than a re-interpretation, this is more a re-boot of the series.

And by re-boot, it's not just a re-boot by the producers, some would say it's also an in-universe re-boot, with Shinji literally re-booting the world according to his image after the events in End of Evangelion.

The Japanese name for Rebuild 2.0 is Ha (破), as in hakai (破壊) "to destroy". Anno Hideaki explicitly explained in the DVD liner notes that his intention was to "destroy" everyone's perception of what this "remake/reboot" is supposed to be, and redefining the story in a completely new direction, starting with the introduction of Makinami Mari, who seems out of place as the only angst-free character, and yet somehow she fitted in just fine.

I would agree that Asuka and Rei are more "moe", but on the plus side, Asuka is now less emo, Rei is now more human, and even Shinji has refreshingly grown a backbone, which cannot be a bad thing.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Kinny Riddle wrote:And by re-boot, it's not just a re-boot by the producers, some would say it's also an in-universe re-boot, with Shinji literally re-booting the world according to his image after the events in End of Evangelion.
ahh like that time when Shinji image himself having a regular school life? that's a good explanation. If I had a choice I really wish they animated Re-Take, one of the best doujin on the Evangelion series.

baka baka baka
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Okay, necro-ing this thread such that I don't have to create a new one.

This is my first run through of NGE, and I'm doing it all straight with no breaks. (Other than 5 minute snack breaks, etc.)

I'm at episode 13 of NGE and have yet to truly sense the mind rape, but I can tell that it's coming. (To be honest, it feels like less mind rape than Eureka 7 which makes no sense. :lol: )
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles

Return to “Animes”