Fate: UBW Movie

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Fate: UBW Movie

Post by Beware the talking cat »

DOWNLOAD FASTER!!!

(oh, and it's out)
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Re: Fate: UBW Movie

Post by Rectifier »

Is it any good?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

nahh I'm waiting for the 1080i :wink:

baka baka baka
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

b0mb3r wrote:nahh I'm waiting for the 1080i :wink:
Er. I don't think anyone is releasing in 1080i; the blu-ray was 1080p.
Administrator
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

well that was a disappointment.

I know I am a nit picky when it comes to anime but here are my complaints:

Pro First:
Great Animation
Good Voice Actings

Complaints:
Plot
Pacing
Music
Action Scenes

I really can't blame the studio for this. There is so much plot is impossible to fit it all in. Also the character development is weak that I don't see any Rin X Emiya moments. When they do show they rushed through it. It all feels tacked on. I felt it relies too much on the viewer/fan to remember the plot to enjoy the flick. Yes the action is eye candy and probably one of the best animated fight scenes in anime history but I don't feel invested in them as much as the still images of the visual novel. I felt there were weight and conviction behind those battles. Without good tell of reasons and lack of context I felt like I am just watching mindless violence. I felt detached and didn't feel anything dynamic about them. While my favorite song "Emiya" was in there were so many good VN tracks they left out. ahh. I guess I will just stick with the VNs. The worst part is thy one awesome line from the VN that is full of GARness wasn't well done either...

Conclusions: This is for the fans and not story-lovers.

baka baka baka
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Why does anyone let Studio Deen touch anything Fate related?
Sure, there were a bunch of pretty fight scenes. But otherwise, there was nothing there.

Pacing was awful. Awful awful. Make up for the lack of time with weird, artificial feeling transitions. Not to mention cropping out about half of the story material. Sure, the plot is still there, but it's hollow and lifeless without the calm or comedic scenes.

Plus they make the part where Gilgamesh dies feel deus ex machina-like, even though it shouldn't be.

I give it a C.
Administrator
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Seriously, I had to look up things on wikipedia to understand half of the things that were going on. They basically crammed the anime series into a movie and added more into the movie. It would have been better if they said that they were going to screw the preliminary stuff and rely on the viewer seeing the anime series/playing the VN. The only other thing that I have to ask is:
Spoiler! :
why does Ilya have to die no matter what, regardless of the scenario at the end of the game? Killing little girls like that is not cool no matter how you split it.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Spoiler! :
It's supposed to teach Shirou that he can't save everyone

They needed a way to take out Berserker, AKA that guy who you can stab with swords all you like and it won't do a thing damn it, without dragging on the story

It gives a great reason to make you really hate Gil in that route as well

It does get sadder in the HF route though :cry:
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

It just seems to me that VN anime series and movies tend to be the ones with a huge mind screw or emotional heart-breaker somewhere along the line. The fact that many VN seem to have this kind of approach to themes in life is a little...disturbing. Maybe it just says that something is inherently wrong in Japanese society/culture? :?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ainsoph9 wrote:It just seems to me that VN anime series and movies tend to be the ones with a huge mind screw or emotional heart-breaker somewhere along the line. The fact that many VN seem to have this kind of approach to themes in life is a little...disturbing. Maybe it just says that something is inherently wrong in Japanese society/culture? :?
examples?

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Tsukihime, Fate/Stay NIght, Air, School Days, Higurashi, Umineko no naku koro ni, Clannad After Story, ef - a tale of memories, ef - a tale of melodies, Kanon, Phantom of Inferno, Kimi ga Nozumu Eien, and Utawarerumono are all examples of something going horribly wrong somewhere in the series for whatever reason.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ainsoph9 wrote:Tsukihime, Fate/Stay NIght, Air, School Days, Higurashi, Umineko no naku koro ni, Clannad After Story, ef - a tale of memories, ef - a tale of melodies, Kanon, Phantom of Inferno, Kimi ga Nozumu Eien, and Utawarerumono are all examples of something going horribly wrong somewhere in the series for whatever reason.
Well is that really a bad thing? I mean isn't it the usual troupe or something that not only things don't go your way but is also something horrible? It is either a truth, a revelation, or an event that changes the character's view? All those listed above I've already know the sh*t that goes down but they become developed don't they? So far the one you uses examples happen to be upon my favorite stories. Sh*t happens and we see how character deals with them. Unless you're realist and think human being wouldn't have the capacity to handle them who just runs away? These are stories, fictions with ideals and I adore them since it is in my opinion a reflection of one's aspect of life. How we examine the actions taken from the characters will affect our growth as an individual.

ps. Hope I don't come off sounding that I am bashing you or anything, just stating my opinion.

baka baka baka
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Tsukihime: Generally everyone does fine. Sure, the one girl who gets turned into a vampire loses out, but other than that, everybody usually comes out alright.
Fate/Stay Night: Theme is that you can't save everyone. Would be very strange to be able to save everyone in a story whose point is demonstrating the inability to save everyone.
Air, Clannad After Story, Kanon: Meant to be tragedies anyway.
School Days: Don't the non bad endings work fine?
Higurashi, Umineko no naku koro ni: Need a problem to overcome and work out in the end.
ef - a tale of memories, ef - a tale of melodies, Phantom of Inferno: Sorry, haven't finished them. No comment
Kimi ga Nozumu Eien: Basis for the story. Something's gone wrong, need to fix it. Same thing as higurashi.
Utawarerumono: If you mean all the conflict and violence, then it's part of the premise like with higurashi. If you mean the inevitability of war, it's thematic. If you mean the ending, then it's been implied through the story he doesn't really belong here anyway.

I think, for the most part, it's just the nature of stories. Conflict doesn't exist without bad things happening. I don't see it as any different from western novels, movies, or whatnot. Go ask Shakespeare why he has so many tragedies.
Administrator
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I do not have a problem with conflict in general. Rather, sometimes, it just seems that the death of characters in anime is taken too lightly, regardless of whether a good point is made out of it. Likewise, many serious issues such as rape, suicide, mental illness, and the like come up in anime but not necessarily in light of their seriousness. Not to be preachy or anything, but I think that this quote is a good one for the situation at hand: "Whoever destroys a soul, it is considered as if he destroyed an entire world. And whoever saves a life, it is considered as if he saved an entire world." So, if a person is likened to a world, how much more so should we take the weight of life and the issues surrounding it!

@b0mb3r: While the examples given are meant to be illustrations of stories with some level of tragedy, they are not meant to point out that liking them is bad. I do like at least one aspect of each of the examples pointed out. It is good that they are not the usual trope, but I do wonder at what expense does the character and their world views change. The problems of pain and evil are very prominent in these kinds of stories. Living through a war might be considered a growing experience for some, but like a tree, growing can happen many ways: straight, bent, crooked, in deep soil, in shallow soil, in hard soil, in soft soil, etc. I do not mean to be preachy, overbearing, or judgmental. Rather, I wish simply to raise some questions, issues, and discussion about these kinds of events that have the potential to destroy people's lives, whether fictional or not. I do not have the answer for anything either. I do not take offense at your comments earlier as well. I find it quite incompatible how anime often portrays characters in their early to mid-teens as adults with a life's worth of knowledge, wisdom, and experience so that problems always work themselves out in the end without leaving any scars at all. A reality check would indicate that many of these characters would be in therapy after seeing their best friend killed before their eyes, being raped, etc. Yet, the opposite often seems to be true. What is going on here? :?

@Bttc: While I agree with much of what you say, I would like to make a couple of points. To begin, regardless of whether the ending is "good" or "bad," does that mean that everything is truly justifiable. One of the endings in School Days is a harem ending that is considered a "good" ending, but what does this ending teach us? That harems are functional and/or good? That women should just accept harems? Again, this is not meant to judge, preach, or anything of the sort. Rather, I do wonder if the Chinese had it correct in terms of the characters for gossip being two women and for treachery being three women. Concerning conflict, conflict can happen without bad things happening. I can disagree with you on points A, B, and C, but that does not mean that one of us has to be hurt, disqualified, or killed; yet, we are in conflict. The common world definition for peace is "the absence of conflict." I would like to suggest that peace is not a world without conflict but a world that knows how to live with conflict without it being at the expense of another person or one's self. Conflict can exist without tragedy or one wronging another; I think that this confusion of conflict and pain has been the source of much grief worldwide because it is forcing people to not be able to recognize criticism and issues as non-personal events.

Return to “Animes”