Anime Culture Shock

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Anime Culture Shock

Post by ainsoph9 »

Here is a list of 10 things one Chinese otaku finds hare to understand about anime.

What are/were some of yours?
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Re: Anime Culture Shock

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Nothing......

Why does everyone find flip phones so strange anyway....my phone's a flip phone....

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I think that people see them as being kind of out of date when smartphones are the thing to have nowadays. Frankly, I do not think that smartphones are that smart, but oh well.

When I first started watching anime, it took me a while to get used to the facial expressions, despite being a seasoned cartoon watcher. The falling down thing was probably the number one thing for me on that note. I know there were a few others, but I cannot remember at the moment.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Even in LNs, most characters carry flip phones. There are exceptions though. Kirino in Oreimo uses an iPhone.
Rednal
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by Rednal »

I've watched so much anime that about the only things I don't really understand anymore are certain character reactions... and of those, I tend to blame it on bad writing. XD; Things usually don't bother me unless they're really out of place in the setting.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Like, what kind of reactions?
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

Like this:

Girl A (let's call her... Tsuna) walks into Protagonist's house. Protagonist was not expecting her to come over that day, and has no idea that she's even there. Far as he's concerned, it's a normal day. Tsuna decides to be stereotypically housewife-y, and helps Protagonist's Mother make dinner... except, being randomly clumsy, she gets food splashed all over her and the Protagonist's mom tells her to go take a bath while her clothes are being cleaned.

Tsuna goes into the bathroom.

Protagonist is there, unclothed except for a Towel of Censorship, because he was getting ready to take a bath. Like a normal person.

Tsuna screams at the top of her lungs and beats him senseless (visibly bloody, bruised, and unconscious) for daring, DARING to be unclothed in front of a girl who 1) Didn't even notice the light in the bathroom was on, 2) Didn't even consider, say, knocking to see if anyone was in there, and 3) Should darn well have known that guys take baths, too.

Basically, I don't really like it or understand it when characters are physically abused for things that are clearly not their fault. I mean, if he was a lecherous peeping tom who got caught, then yeah, pummel him. But when somebody has just been doing what they probably do on a daily basis, and they're randomly assaulted for it? >.> Unless it's actually done in a legitimately funny way, I don't like it much.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

@Rednal: point taken.. i guess when you really think of it, some of the representations of tsundere really go out there..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Rednal, I am going to take a wild guess here and say that you probably have not been exposed to the world. Seriously, remember that no matter what, the guy is always wrong. Anime just takes this a small step further. Also, half of the guys watching the series are still wanting to be the guy who just got beaten to a bloody pulp. "It was all worth the five seconds of nudity." :roll:
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

ah.. fanservice of course. 8)

another way of looking at said scene would be a flag-raising event = CG, if you're familiar enough with eroge to have played a few.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

Rednal

Post by Rednal »

*Grins* Oh, I know that the guy is always wrong. I just don't accept it. I think there are better ways of writing scenes like that than suggesting that men who are the victims of circumstance deserve to be effectively hospitalized for no reason at all.

Of course, in eroge, the guy wouldn't need to worry about getting hurt... XD; I suspect that's rarely the result then.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

So, any other shockers?
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

"Wait, these underage naked mahou shoujo characters are supposed to be showing wholesomeness and purity in their non-explicit transformation sequences? But my uprighteous, religous Western upbringing taught me that all nakedness was A Bad Thing!"

For about ten minutes. Then I got over it. :lol: I'm very casual about different cultural standards.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Ah, yes. That one. The Japanese have a cognitive dissonance concerning nudity and sexuality. That is going away, thanks to the West, but the disconnect is still there.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

other shockers.. i'd have to go through almost 2 decades of otaku existence.. :lol:

elementary students don't have school uniforms, and they have feeding programs.. :?
(first thing that came to mind watching Digimon Adventure)

then the nosebleed of arousal, probably saw it firsthand in Zenki..

i also wondered, why the hell do the enemies stop attacking when heroes/heroines/mecha begin their henshin sequences!? thanks to the mixture of sentai too old to remember, Sailor Moon, plus Voltes V and the rest of those giant robos..

then i watched Eva, and it was all downhill from there.. :?
Last edited by shichinanatsu on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

Return to “Animes”