Accel World

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Accel World

Post by Misogi »

We should go back to Accel World, not to the most controversial series of the last seasons.
Planned to watch episodes 3 and 4 this week, I'll give my review later.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Rednal
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Rednal »

Well... I've only seen through Episode 3 thus far, and while I don't like the MC's design very much, I do appreciate that he seems to dislike his situation and honestly wants it to change. Which I think is a lot better than someone who merely goes emo at every problem they encounter, in the hopes that being depressed will make it go away. :lol: Characters who make an effort > Characters who don't.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Rednal wrote:Well... I've only seen through Episode 3 thus far, and while I don't like the MC's design very much, I do appreciate that he seems to dislike his situation and honestly wants it to change. Which I think is a lot better than someone who merely goes emo at every problem they encounter, in the hopes that being depressed will make it go away. :lol: Characters who make an effort > Characters who don't.
Agreed. I can't understand why some people hate him, mainly because of his looks or his voice.

Will watch episodes 3, 4, 5 this week-end.
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Rednal
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by Rednal »

Well, some people prefer to have only good-looking characters. I actually knew a girl who didn't read manga so much as look at individual frames where she thought a character was being exceptionally attractive. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to hate him based on appearance, but... well, some people are just like that. I mean, as mentioned, I don't particularly like his appearance either. I just note that he has an actual personality. If he was a completely bland eroge-type protagonist on top of having an intentionally boring design, then I don't think I could stand to watch the show no matter what other redeeming features it has. I like interesting characters, and if the show is totally focused on the boring ones, then I'll be bored, too.

Still, though, I'm willing to give the rest of the season a chance, since I have hopes for character development.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Loved the concept, hated the execution. The series really died out in my eyes. They strayed too far away from the actual plot to put more time into the main character's harem relationships. :roll:
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Meh...I say that it could have been much, much worse. The fanservice was minimum, which was a big bonus for me. Although it did add harem elements, it is not like IS, High School DxD, or so many other series that completely sacrificed plot for harem/fanservice "action." Accel World still seems to be focusing on the sci-fi aspects for the most part. About the worst for the harem side of things is a few cat fights that did not send Haruyuki to the hospital. Not bad all things considered.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ainsoph9 wrote:Although it did add harem elements, it is not like IS, High School DxD, or so many other series that completely sacrificed plot for harem/fanservice "action."
It's hard to compare the harem elements to DxD, which has harem/fanservice vs plot at around 50-50 or 65-35. Accel World is much more close to a 75-25 with the romance/harem elements in the 25.

As for IS, there wasn't much to sacrifice anyway. :roll:
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

My point is that it could be much, much worse.
stellarroze
Senior Project Translator

Post by stellarroze »

I have never hated an antagonist so much as I do for Noumi. Please tell me, the episode after the next is the last time I see that guy...
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

It seems that he'll stay until the last episode. With the rage.
----
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Meh, Noumi is a little schmendrick, and that is about there is to him. I do not like him and would probably want to fight him were he a bully in real life, but I think there are worse villains in anime that I have hated more than Noumi. In a similar vein of thought, Noumi is the type of character who seems like he was spoiled a little too much as a kid and got a big head as a result. In other words, he most likely has yet to face "the real world" and get his spanking there. He is your typical sophomore by definition; that is, "he who knows little but thinks otherwise."
yajra03
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by yajra03 »

just wondering, which is better accel world or sword art online? don't watch accel world due to the main protagonist.

" nope, god hates us. even if we go, he'll send us back "
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

According to the majority of my contacts who have read BOTH series in FULL, Accel World has the superior plot. I can't say for sure since I have yet to read AW to that extent. And the author has hinted that this series may go over 20 volumes, and things are just starting (v10/11).
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

From the anime's viewpoint, I would say that both are tightly written series that have their own appeal. I like both series but for different reasons. I think that Accel World gives the anime world something nice: an MC that is horizontally and vertically challenged, who feels inferior. On the other hand, SAO gives us an MC that needs to appear more often: a man who acts like a man. I also think that the different takes on sci-fi and VR are a nice addition to the anime world, despite the tropes each one emphasizes.

Return to “Animes”