Subtitles

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

I like long walks on the beach, camping, and

subtitles please
100%
dubs
No votes

Total votes: 19

Umiman
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Subtitles

Post by Umiman »

I never thought it would be a problem, but apparently, a lot of people find it difficult to read tthem and watch the show at the same time.

I just have one thing to say.

Huh?!

I never imagined people who watch anime could read slow enough to not catch them. Really now, are they such a hinderance that a dub becomes a worthy substitute? Or is the audience in question just a braindead bunch of lemming dimwits?

NOTE: It may just be me, but I don't even realise the existance of subtitles anymore. My eyes automatically scan it from the bottom of my field of vision without impeding with anything so nothing gets ommited from the actual program.

EDIT: Let's assume the audience in question has English as their first language. It's understandable when people who aren't fluent in English prefer dubs to subtitles.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I like subs, the tone of the voice actors helps me get into the scenes. I read tons when I was a kid so I read pretty fast, but even I still need to pause the video sometimes to get what a character is saying. I can read it all, but I need to translate the translation, if you get what I'm saying.
bicube
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by bicube »

I also like subs more than dubs. The original almost always have much more emotions in their characters. I know this is biased, but I also prefer hearing the Japanese language more than English, since I'm a sucker for words and sentences with a lot of syllables. XD
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I rarely hear any good dubs. The voices don't usually match the character's profile or appearance. Anywho subs are very easy to read as it is.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

I'd prefer subs over dubs anyday. Unless the subs are done really, REALLY bad. I remeber having an anime which was set in winter being subtitled by a group which used WHITE font... with no visible outline @.@
/me claws out throat and dies
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

I always prefer sub over dub. Dub just doesn't have the original feel towards the anime. If you want a anime to have a good dub, pick a voice actor that suits the character not a voice actor that suits the original Japanese voice actor. Dub voices just feel so... improperly matched.

And yeah I see a lot of people who like dub over sub (on Youtube at least). It's amazing how slow those people must read to not be able to follow subs! If you can't read fast enough, can you see it with your peripheral vision at least?
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

HolyCow wrote:I'd prefer subs over dubs anyday. Unless the subs are done really, REALLY bad. I remeber having an anime which was set in winter being subtitled by a group which used WHITE font... with no visible outline @.@
I bet the subber did it as a dare. How else could he work with white font?

It turns out that subs really do omit some minor details from the show. While minor, maybe that's what people are whining about. For example, when watching with subs, you might think the m-60 shot out 593 bullets when in reality, it shot out 599.

:roll:

Seriously though, it actually does (The first time I watched Melancholy, I didn't realise the OP scene had Itsuki in it.), but that's why we watch the animes more than once! If it's not worth watching more than once, no need to worry about missing out the details.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Florin
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Florin »

I believe that hearing original actors' voices is important in order to fully appreciate the creation - whatever it is - which is why I prefer subs. However, it can cause minor inconveniences sometimes when several lines of text disappear within a second and I have to rewind and pause to read it, but I'm fine with that. Besides, lots of things can be explained in subs along the way, like language-specific joke or untranslateable speech figure.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

try watching anime on a 2.4" mobile phone screen (try holding a psp for 2hrs with one hand and you'll see why i hardly use it anymore) while on a train, sure i can still make out the subtitle at a reasonable distance, i can see even better if i hold it closer, but honestly i sometimes wish for the bad dubs just so i don't have to read stuff while the train is judding around and im being groped by something, which i don't really want to know...
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

If I was going to be watching it on a 2.4'' screen, I would rather just be reading a book.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Beware's avatar reminds me, I seriously have to keep pausing and rewinding LuckyStar to read everything. It's very crazy, I think I'd still have trouble even if I understood Japanese.
Stratosphere
Astral Realm

Post by Stratosphere »

I had to constantly pause and rewind to read what they were saying in the opening.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Jesus man!

Lucky Star isn't even that great. I DON'T GET IT!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

i don't gt it either, but it past the time on my long travel on to work.

p.s: ever since you started posting GuestLoL, your signature has been slowing down my workstation to a crawl in every thread your in.

I'm tempted to remove it, but its either that or i stop surfing the forum while im at work.....
:roll:

stupid signature....

*close browser*

:(
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Lol

Incase you haven't noticed.. I replaced my sig with my medium sized one. It'll lag cause a bit of lag to anything below 2ghz and 1 core.

Return to “Animes”