Muv-Luv Alternative

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Muv-Luv Alternative

Post by b0mb3r »

Okay I have heard this game for such a long time for being one of the most epic visual novel ever. Just recently the group translating it finished and I zip through 33 hours of reading (on avg people say it takes 40 hrs) here what I have to say:

Cons:

Pacing: Okay I don't mind adding depths at mission brief, military politics, etc but gosh this VN think it has all the time in the world to explain every single detail to ya. Also the character's repetition of the saying the same thing does tend to get annoying. I know is to reinforce his belief but is a little too much
No CG menu. WTF. When you beat the game you don't see all the cg collection nor listen to the music selection. Is odd that is universal to have this in games but it lacks all this feature including the cool animation OP it has.
I must warn you while is a harem game there are barely any choices to pick the girl you want. Is more like a kinetic novel than a choose your adventure novel

Pros: Holy Crap is engaging. How?

Effects: The character moves their lips and blink. The background sounds makes it alive. How the POV motion camera is used. I haven't seen this type of effect used in a VN before
Epic Music: So many great BGM fill with tension, suspense, thrills, heart wrenching, etc
Beautiful Animation Cuts that I wish to see an anime of using whatever studio that animated them.
MECHA Fights: Wow whatever program they use (I think After Effects) they can really make still images fight and leaving enough imagination to immerse the reader
Military Campaign. Seriously many unexpected things occurs, at least in the characters POV
Quantum Physics: The fact they talk about this gives an almost plausible reasoning why things occur in this game. Is intelligent and interesting.
Characters: I love all the characters and later more to come. They aren't one-dimensional and their portrayal of growth is wonderful

I played this game without playing it's prequel Muv-Luv Extra/Unlimited. Even though I did read a synopsis/recap and a quick run of the manga I felt my only regret is not playing it. It may had added depth known otherwise to fulfill my experience more. Overall I don't regret playing this game at all and you guys should take a spin at it.

Now my biggest frustration with this game that SPOILS so don't click. Only ppl who did can.
Spoiler! :
The ending. That seriously hit me hard. The whole squad dying really tore my heart out that I cried a fountain. Is like Saving Private Ryan cept mecha and gorgeous girls whom I don't want to die. Especially how my favorite character Meiya get vaporize by her lover. She ask Takeru for only one thing and that is never to forget about her. So after going so much angst, despair, trauma, hell. After so much growth and learning Takeru went through. What the hell AGE do? He forgets them. All the lesson he was taught, all the pain he went through. What the hell was the point? I understand he remembers them subconsciously but I seriously wanted him to remember the events so he can honor all those who died. This was the last straw that I hated. The only good thing is that at least Kasumi came to this world as a constant reminder. Other than that this was to me dishonorable that I can't help but feel sad for my 207A squad.

baka baka baka
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Muv-Luv Alternative

Post by hobogunner »

I'm definitely going to pick up the game after I beat Swan Song (like another 10 hours.)

However, I just want to make sure you're saying to play the original Muv Luv before playing Muv Luv alternative.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

hobogunner wrote:I'm definitely going to pick up the game after I beat Swan Song (like another 10 hours.)

However, I just want to make sure you're saying to play the original Muv Luv before playing Muv Luv alternative.
The whole story behind Alternative is actually was suppose to be part of the Muv Luv Extra/Unlimited packaged together as one game. Due to time constraint they split the story in half and polish it more before releasing. Next month Muv-Luv will come to Xbox 360 which has all three game with few new CG and updated graphics. The reason why I skip Extra/Unlimited was due to Extra's infamous drag-bore fest and cheap H scenes in order to get to Unlimited, which itself just serves as a appetizer for the main course: Alternative. But some fine Unlimited to be more comedic and fun compare to Alternative's darkness. Again Unlimited serves as a intro to all the characters in the BETA world so you become more attached to the characters and have a bigger impact in Alternative.

baka baka baka
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Will it come in English? I can't read Japanese enough for a Visual Novel. :?

That more confused me, should I play the first before the second? (Yes or no)
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

hobogunner wrote:Will it come in English? I can't read Japanese enough for a Visual Novel. :?

That more confused me, should I play the first before the second? (Yes or no)
um luckily there is an english translation for both games Muv Luv E/U/A if check out VNDB (Visual Novel Database) I think there is a patch where you can use the given save file that allows you to skip Extra to play Unlimited. You need to complete the two main heroine route in Extra to play Unlimited. Then Unlimited ends sort of a cliffhanger, a promo for its sequel Alternative.

baka baka baka

Return to “Games & Computing”