Programming for Smart Phones and Tablets

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Programming for Smart Phones and Tablets

Post by rpapo »

My daughter, in her second year in high school (long ago now), was faced with a choice: prepare herself for computer programming, or prepare herself for accounting. She took a class in each. I came to know exactly when she got in her programming class, because from that moment for the next 50 minutes or so, I would get a barrage of e-mails from her asking me questions, almost every school day. In the end, we decided that her mind was insufficiently twisted to make a good programmer. She had a hard time thinking backwards and inside out...
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Another way of looking at it is that she was just "twisted" another way. :wink: A certain amount of twisting is necessary to become an accountant.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

True.
wildk
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wildk »

Anyone here good at directX? I'm having a hard time understanding the structures of WIN 32 API and graphics thingy. Seems incredibly inefficient to me.
You are who you see you are.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

wildk wrote:Anyone here good at directX? I'm having a hard time understanding the structures of WIN 32 API and graphics thingy. Seems incredibly inefficient to me.
I've done it, but only in a limited fashion, and it was back in the mid 1990s, with DirectX 1.0. DirectX is strange for a reason: the way you had to do it before was even stranger, and different with every single video board in existence. DirectX was intended to provide a single programming interface no matter what video board was installed on your machine.

I had an application that wrote directly to the video memory, and I needed to make it work in Windows. DirectX, once it came out (1995?) made that possible for us.

Since then, DirectX has fanned out to cover many classes of performance enhancing hardware for PCs.

Return to “Games & Computing”