Flash Based Mp3 Player

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Which mp3 player is the best?

iRiver x20 (8GB)
No votes
iAudio 7 (8GB)
No votes
Sansa View (8GB)
No votes
Creative Zen (8GB)
60%
Other (mp3 player)
40%

Total votes: 5

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Flash Based Mp3 Player

Post by onizuka-gto »

Well finally i given up lugging about my 40GB 2nd Gen ipod i had for at leased 5-6yrs now.

Its best served as a portable HD, even though i've replaced the Battery it gives me a measly 12-14hrs, not even enough to listen though a complete playlist, let alone a 40GB worth of songs.

So i though might as well get a new music player, but im sick of Apple so its alternatives for me.

the parameters for this is:

*Lightweight

*Play at leased one lossless format, either Flac or lossless AAC

*Play video (optional)

*Small dimension

*Hold a Charge excess of 20hrs

*Replaceable battery
<- important since i keep things until they break (unless its a worthless console like my psp with it's pathetic battery power), so usually the battery is the first thing that goes first and that's annoying if your on a 17hr flight, and the battery keeps going and the external emergency battery packs don't do much since the internal one is knackered.

*Internal Memory has to be 8GB or more.

*Have some type of SD slot (optional)

*Reasonably priced, nothing above £200 (US$400)

Now, i can compromise on some points, if the internal battery has stupidly long play time, i can do without replaceable battery.

So looking at my criteria, i came up with four types, but still can't decide all have their strong points.

So here is a poll, help me decide!

1) iriver X20 (8GB)

Advantage
Replaceable Battery: 20hrs+
Micro SD Slot
Flac file
seamless SD file integration

Disadvantage
No SDHC Cards

2) iAudio 7 (8GB)
Advantage
Insane Geek-centric file/gui options
text files support
Flac support
60hrs+ playback
reporte best sound output

Disadvantage
internal battery only
No SD slot
Small 1.3" screen

3) Sansa View (8GB)
Advantage
microSD Slot SDHC compatible
35hr+ playback
Gapless playback
Seamless SD file integrations

Disadvantage
Internal battery
reported sound output not as good as others
no lossless file support

4) Creative Zen (Flash 8GB)
Advantage
SD slot SDHC support
Cheapest in this group
AAC support
25hr playback

Disadvantage
SD card files are not seamlessly integrated
lightest in this group
internal battery

Or has anyone else got a better suggestion?
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Flash Based Mp3 Player

Post by Beware the talking cat »

You could always just get a cheap $20 1 gig mp3 player.

Sure, it loses things like a "color screen" or "quality", but they are cheap and the battery life is good. Plus, they use regular batteries, so you can just recharge one while another is in the player.

If you really want to buy a nice one though, I would go with the iAudio 7. 60+ hrs of battery life can't be beaten.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Beware the talking cat wrote:You could always just get a cheap $20 1 gig mp3 player.

Sure, it loses things like a "color screen" or "quality", but they are cheap and the battery life is good. Plus, they use regular batteries, so you can just recharge one while another is in the player.

If you really want to buy a nice one though, I would go with the iAudio 7. 60+ hrs of battery life can't be beaten.
1gig is pea size, my phones got a 2GB card, the only reason i don't use that, is the headphone connection sucks and i find that limited as i use my phones for document reading, and lots of photos.

the iAudio looks good, but it's the long run im looking out for, im worried that it end up like my old ipod with a battery runtime of less then a day, which means either a battery replacement or get a new one.

mind you, majority of these players have FM radio and RECORD IT.

which is sweet, since i can't remember any popular English singing artist unless its a rock band, which is annoying because i do hear a lot of nice tunes now and again.

oh, some ones gone for the iRiver x20

hmm...if it supported SDHC cards then it would in my books be perfect, but you can't...well not yet.

the maximum micro you can get is 2GB, which isn't going to help in the long run and i might as well get one without a sd slot.

but then that means no battery replacement.....dammit.

edit: hmm.. having second thoughts about iriver x20.

Read from a website review that lithium polymer batteries drop to 80% capacity in two years of regular average usage.

So even if i got an internal battery mp3 player, like the iaudio 7, i would still have a rough playtime of 40hrs+

hmmm..... still better then having to buy a spare external battery....
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Creative tends to have the best value per dollar/euro, so I would be biased towards buying one of their products first.

If your looking for some songs, here's a playlist of some of the songs on my comp.
http://www.mediafire.com/?bfiytmdtjgn
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Rectifier wrote:Creative tends to have the best value per dollar/euro, so I would be biased towards buying one of their products first.

If your looking for some songs, here's a playlist of some of the songs on my comp.
really?

just worried about battery power though

25hrs in two years time will be close to 20hrs....

:/

@Onizukademongto
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

onizuka-gto wrote:
Rectifier wrote:Creative tends to have the best value per dollar/euro, so I would be biased towards buying one of their products first.

really?

just worried about battery power though

25hrs in two years time will be close to 20hrs....

:/
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... es&spell=1

Just get rechargeable lithium batteries and the battery life won't matter if you have an outlet.

*Do any of your friends have mp3 flash-based players? You can ask them about their opinions and get a better answer from them than I can give.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

my friends have no mp3 players, unless you count sony-erricsson phones or in car stereo.

Work colleagues are worse, those designer types all have a itouch/iphones/ipods

(one reason i'm sick of them)

It's a bit sad i don't have any in between.

bit of a rebel me. :roll:

hmmm....but recharger...i've tried those external packs that you just stuff in AA or AAA batteries but they never seem to work, but an external lithium pack...

oh like this.

Hmm...£30 not bad.

add that with a creative zen 8GB.

plus that with SDHC 12GB card, 30GB total....
not a bad deal.

@Onizukademongto
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Now your thinking like a consumer who thinks their thinking outside of the box but the corporations already have a solution for you inside another part of the box previously unnoticed. :twisted:
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Rectifier wrote:Now your thinking like a consumer who thinks their thinking outside of the box but the corporations already have a solution for you inside another part of the box previously unnoticed. :twisted:
stop that.

i get enough of that at work.

:roll:

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Games & Computing”