i hate mkv

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: i hate mkv

Post by onizuka-gto »

My laptop had trouble with h264 as well, since it's a 1.8GHz dual.

But ever since I used CoreAVC to handle it, I've had smooth playback ever since. tried it on my mates 1.6Ghz atom netbook and it works on that too, when before not even classic mplayer couldn't do anything. Even can do playback from wireless streaming.

Best player i've found easier to configure to use t he external codec coreAVC has been classic mplayer and Zoomplayer both which are part of the CCCP codec pack. (which I had tried previously, but no luck)

you should consider buying the coreAVC, money well spent in my opinion.

:)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

onizuka-gto wrote:My laptop had trouble with h264 as well, since it's a 1.8GHz dual.

But ever since I used CoreAVC to handle it, I've had smooth playback ever since. tried it on my mates 1.6Ghz atom netbook and it works on that too, when before not even classic mplayer couldn't do anything. Even can do playback from wireless streaming.

Best player i've found easier to configure to use t he external codec coreAVC has been classic mplayer and Zoomplayer both which are part of the CCCP codec pack. (which I had tried previously, but no luck)

you should consider buying the coreAVC, money well spent in my opinion.

:)
lol you reminds me of saleman trying to sell coreAVC

baka baka baka
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

b0mb3r wrote: lol you reminds me of saleman trying to sell coreAVC

We also sell full size Senjohara Hitagi hugging plush pillows with "splash" -proof under lining when the hugging gets too intense, sarcasm, feeling of inferiority and dangers of stationary death not included. :)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Yes. CoreAVC is definitely the way to go for the h.264 codec.

I haven't had an issue for the last year or so, since I got my new computer, but until then, if I tried to play an HD mkv, it would stutter until giving up. Although CoreAVC didn't fix it entirely, it certainly helped.

You can get a free 14 day trial and see if it works for you.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

... I just got reminded myself of something:

h.264 =/= MKV

:shock:

IIRC h.264 is in .mp4 formats.
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Assassin wrote:... I just got reminded myself of something:

h.264 =/= MKV

Really? That's strange, I've got numerous animes stating, 1080p H.264 in mkv containers.

I have an entire ova series encoded and wrapped in mkv. You sure you can't contain a h.264 encoded video in mkv?

@Onizukademongto
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

onizuka-gto wrote:
Assassin wrote:... I just got reminded myself of something:

h.264 =/= MKV

Really? That's strange, I've got numerous animes stating, 1080p H.264 in mkv containers.

I have an entire ova series encoded and wrapped in mkv. You sure you can't contain a h.264 encoded video in mkv?
I checked Wikipedia again... and this is what I found.
The Matroska Multimedia Container is an open standard free container format, a file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks inside a single file. It is intended to serve as a universal format for storing common multimedia content, like movies or TV shows. Matroska is similar in conception to other containers like AVI, MP4 or ASF, but is entirely open in specification, with implementations consisting mostly of open source software. Matroska file types are .MKV for video (with subtitles and audio), .MKA for audio-only files and .MKS for subtitles only. The most common use of .MKV files is to store HD video files.
Basically MKV is an open file format for video files, you can encode a h.264 video into a MKV format.

But yeah, h.264's core file format is MP4, as how Wikipedia states here:
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is a standard for video compression. The final drafting work on the first version of the standard was completed in May 2003.

H.264/AVC is the latest block-oriented motion-compensation-based codec standard developed by the ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group (VCEG) together with the ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG), and it was the product of a partnership effort known as the Joint Video Team (JVT). The ITU-T H.264 standard and the ISO/IEC MPEG-4 AVC standard (formally, ISO/IEC 14496-10) are jointly maintained so that they have identical technical content.
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

whew. looks like i don't have to delete my anime for false advertisement. :)

Noticed some of them i mistaken for h264 were actually x264, i guess that's something similar to h264?

wonder if it use coreAVC codec as well?

@Onizukademongto
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

onizuka-gto wrote:whew. looks like i don't have to delete my anime for false advertisement. :)

Noticed some of them i mistaken for h264 were actually x264, i guess that's something similar to h264?

wonder if it use coreAVC codec as well?
Mr. Wikipedia von Toshiba (don't ask me why I gave such a name to it) told me this:
x264 is a free software library for encoding video streams into the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format. It is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
Basically what x264 does is encode video stream into the h.264 format.

And yes, that said, CoreAVC can play it.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

95% of anime MKVs are in h.264. If you can actually get the anime to play, and it's stuttering a lot, or the sound gets disjointed with the picture, your problem is with h.264, not MKV.

h.264 is to MKV what xvid is to AVI.

MP4 is a container format also used for h.264, but is not usually used for anime because it's inferior. The only reason it has prevalence is because it can be used in ipods and whatnot.

Basically:

Anime MKVs contain:

A video track encoded in h.264
An audio track encoded in AAC(usually. Sometimes it's something else).
A subtitles track encoded in ASS.
Maybe chapters if the group feels like it.
Some fonts.

All muxed into a nice .mkv file.

Edit: And here's what it looks like when it's been demuxed:

Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.

Return to “Games & Computing”