Ahhh maaaan, computer can't read Japanese!?!?!?

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Ahhh maaaan, computer can't read Japanese!?!?!?

Post by Krikit »

Bad news...For the past 6 hours I've been trying to figure out what I did.

I got tired of all the junk on my computer, useless programs, possible viruses, etc, so I just reinstalled a clean edition of Windows Vista.

Went from 6Gb Free space, to 90 Gb free space :)

Anyway, my problem is this....

I can't read Japanese text from a document. For example, I'm trying to get SmartOCRLite to work again, so I can continue translating.

I installed the IME thingy, to write in Japanese. I opened a document, wrote in Japanese, saved the document, closed, opened it again, and the Japanese text was still there.

I downloaded .net framework 1.1 like you need.

I downloaded SmartOCRLite 1.0.6.

I opened up the readme for SmartOCRLite. The japanese text didn't come through. (I've since noticed this with any documents I download that were written in Japanese. The only way to open a document in Japanese for me, is to type it myself.)

I then opened the SmartOCRLite program, opened a text image from a novel, and had it scanned. In the place where the highlight-able text should have been, there were only ?????????????????????????????????????????????? to the endless degree. Oh what, oh what have I done wrong.........:(

EDIT: I should write a guide... :shock: Took me 6 hours to do this:

In Vista, if you want to read Japanese text from using SmartOCRLite, or when opening a .txt file, you need to go to Regional Options, and go to the Administrative Tab. There, you need to change System Locale for Non-Unicode Programs. I found NO Guide for this, no matter how long I searched. (I was typing in things like "can't read japanese on vista" and things like that) Anyway...just wanted to say it's been figured out, but I lost my goal of having PuiPui! and Toradora! out today.

Sorry, but it will have to wait til tomorrow. But now I've got a roaring fast computer, and am all set to go!
salv87
Astral Realm

Re: Ahhh maaaan, computer can't read Japanese!?!?!?

Post by salv87 »

be careful so it wont kick you like Taiga :D
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Ermmm... Isnt it easier to use apploc?
It is a program that allows you to run programs in a language you desire (provided that it is within the list which i believe is all the languages available in windows)

At least you realized your problem... I downloaded some manga from one of those Chinese forum sites i mentioned last time. And they were zipped up with passwords. I copied and pasted the password to winrar to unzip them, and they werent working. However, everyone else seems to have no problems with them, and I just cant unzip them. After several days/weeks, i realised the problem...

When winrar is opened, it is in english... It cannot take Chinese characters at all. Meaning copy pasting the chinese passwords into the password slot makes them unreadable, so they will naturally fail to be extracted. But since all entries in that slot shows only *******, how was i supposed to know? So that is why I LOVE apploc.

Similarly, I play(ed) this online japanese game called "Busou Shinki", if you heard of it. I use apploc to play it in Japanese rather than having to have to change my language settings over and over just for the game.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

going a lil off-topic... i downloaded the SmartOCR Lite 1.06, but since it's in japanese i don't know how to use it... does anybody have a guide to it?? :roll:
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Post by jupiter_ringsid »

I leave everything as default. (because I'm also practically illiterate :p)
Just use ctrl+o to open a file (or ctrl+shift+o to open a folder) and press F7 to OCR. If you use the 'open folder,' you'll get a list of the file in the folder at the bottom left corner of the application window. Just double click the file you want to OCR.
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

yay i did so last time, but when saving to .doc, got a lot of ???..that's why i asked... thx jupiter_ringsid :) now i got the kana and kanji :D

i was looking for a OCR and this thread appeared from heaven :D i'm glad Krikit couldn't read japanese :twisted: (only kidding :D)

c'ya!!
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

Macko Darlack wrote:yay i did so last time, but when saving to .doc, got a lot of ???..that's why i asked... thx jupiter_ringsid :) now i got the kana and kanji :D

i was looking for a OCR and this thread appeared from heaven :D i'm glad Krikit couldn't read japanese :twisted: (only kidding :D)

c'ya!!
his PC couldn't ^_^ I think he himself had no more trouble than usual :D

well, I was gonna ask about the program a bit later, and I still intend to do that ^_^
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

:x that was what i meant... u all get it.. :P ^^U about the prog, it`s rather easy :D
mdeanmichaels
Astral Realm

Post by mdeanmichaels »

Macko Darlack wrote:yay i did so last time, but when saving to .doc, got a lot of ???..!
Sorry for maybe bumping a dead thread, but I have the exact same problem, am I missing something? I am running it on an XP system, any help will be greatly appreciated ^^;;
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

mmm, hi :D

well, what i did, if i remember well, was to change the font used. i think it was on Times New.. so i set MS Mincho as the font :D think u gotta use a font that can support japanese characters :D

if this doesn't work, then someone else shuld anser :roll:

:P

c'ya! :mrgreen:
mdeanmichaels
Astral Realm

Post by mdeanmichaels »

Thank you, you were right, I used applocale first to run it and Smart worked like a charm, from then on,it prompted me to change the non-specified unicode which I did to Japanese.
This is really a nice program; I'm using it to scan technical and non-technical documents (Doujinshi) and it has an excellent identify ratio (it does depends on a certain number of factors; resolution being a key one; the other one if the kanji/furigana is printed or handwritten) but for something free, it works better than I expected; Thanks for the help! :D
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

haha, we've got another one :twisted:

Return to “Games & Computing”