Persona 4

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Setherzam
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Persona 4

Post by Setherzam »

healing and supreme magic damage. Mind charge is a good move
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

I'm just confused as to why you'd use Mitsuru when you have access to Metis.

I found that the best party was easily Metis, Yukari, and Junpei... just mainly because Mitsuru tends to do really stupid things.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/ ... 443776.png
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/ ... lj8hz5.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/ ... 020899.png

At least you can tell Metis to not do stupid things by turning on Orgia Mode and watching enemies die.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

I agree... watching her use Tentarafoo is so... damn... irritating...

I go Yukari, boxing guy, and dog. At level 99, they do the highest possible magic damage for each of their types. Also, they've all got ma-xxx-dyne of their types too. Junpei and Aegis keep shooting down their own HP. In The Answer, Metis can only target one thing at a time unless she uses a melee skill.

In any case, I've been trying to defeat Elizabeth for the longest time now but I'm gonna give up. This is stupid and not worth that goddamn ring.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

The thing that I do not seem to understand is why Mitsuru uses Marin Karin at all. I would prefer her just to heal me or use her physical attacks. Sometimes, her ice attacks are helpful, but it just occurs to me that she is just another case of someone who is book smart and not street smart.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Umiman wrote:I agree... watching her use Tentarafoo is so... damn... irritating...

I go Yukari, boxing guy, and dog. At level 99, they do the highest possible magic damage for each of their types. Also, they've all got ma-xxx-dyne of their types too. Junpei and Aegis keep shooting down their own HP. In The Answer, Metis can only target one thing at a time unless she uses a melee skill.
Junpei heals himself though, every turn, which makes up for it. And Yukari should be healing every damn turn anyway. Though I agree that Akihiko is just as good.

The reason Metis is so useful is mostly Orgia Mode and the fact that she can hit five types of weaknesses, more than anyone except the player character.

The Answer would have been hard for me if not for Metis and Orgia Mode.

All-Target stuff isn't everything, you know.
Umiman wrote: In any case, I've been trying to defeat Elizabeth for the longest time now but I'm gonna give up. This is stupid and not worth that goddamn ring.
As I recall, the Omnipotent Orb nullifies everything except Almighty... of course, at that point, you won't need it anymore. Though, Messiah's Heart Item has a 1% chance of being an Orb, so you COULD get it that way and then equip it for the fight against Liz. It's just nearly impossible.

Also, you do know the trick to killing her, right?
ainsoph9 wrote:The thing that I do not seem to understand is why Mitsuru uses Marin Karin at all. I would prefer her just to heal me or use her physical attacks. Sometimes, her ice attacks are helpful, but it just occurs to me that she is just another case of someone who is book smart and not street smart.
Setting her strategy to "Full Assault" tends to help a little, but then she won't heal you at all, if I recall correctly.

It's not Mitsuru herself, it's her terrible AI. Just don't use Mitsuru.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Who cares. It's not multiplayer. There's no need to find a most efficient strategy, just a strategy that works. I like all-encompassing attacks because it makes smacking silly small enemies much easier and I like all-girl teams because it looks interesting when they're all dressed so strangely.

I'll start on Persona 4 in a few weeks I guess.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Umiman wrote:Who cares. It's not multiplayer. There's no need to find a most efficient strategy, just a strategy that works.
Fair enough. Sorry, it's just probably me being a D&D player and trying to find the best way to do everything.
Umiman wrote: I'll start on Persona 4 in a few weeks I guess.
I never liked P4 as much as P3, but other people loved it. Great game though, anyway. Have fun.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Persona 4 is definitely more angsty and more simple, that's for sure... Also, loving the gay. In any case, it also looks to be much shorter. I think I prefer the characters in P3 though I might need to give this one more time. If anything, at least the female characters in P3 are more distinctive. After awhile, Yukiko and Chie (Naru Narusegawa) start to sound amazingly alike that they're more or less the same person (though I assume that's the point).

But P4 has a flaming gay who so happens to be the voice of Domon Kasshu (BURNINGGGG FINGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!) and Anizawa Meito (Anime Tencho). And that's cool!

Also, I stumbled across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Z9mbhs ... re=channel

Has it been posted yet? Super funny and I wish it actually happened in the game. Also watched the drama episodes too.

By the way, will anything happen if the other girls discover you cheating on them in P4?
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

yeah commu break is hilarious. There's other drama tracks as well that are pretty good but I haven't seen them subbed.

Also, if your going to do a reverse don't do it on a party member cause then they're going to start sucking in battle.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

I watched those too. My rudimentary Japanese is good enough that I could understand what they were saying (except I had no clue what all the text were). It's pretty funny at times, though it does drag on. I'm trying to find the individual drama cds like the one where Junpei tries to ask Chidori out on a date.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Goddammit! See, this is why I don't like playing good RPGs. When they end, I always get so demotivated to do anything! Damn you Atlus!!!

I can't really decide which I like better, Persona 3 or 4. They're quite similar, just on different scales. Each has boring and interesting characters, each have their moments. Dungeon running... I kinda prefer Tartarus to the TV world, simply because Tartarus operates on a smaller scale and you can technically fly around in minutes. Also, Megidoloan is not nerfed in Persona 3 unlike 4. I still wish S-links had a greater impact on the main story, I mean... seriously... these guys are super timing everyone they know and no one else notices?! They even live in the same building at times!

Hmmm... story wise, Persona 3 is definitely better than 4. It's more compelling and a bit less far fetched (though still far fetched). In Persona 4, it's really predictable (dude, I knew who was the real killer since the beginning) and I fail to see why murders in a super sleepy small town will cause the world to turn into shadows... or even why a God is working in Inaba instead of someplace bigger. It's like she's trying to work her way up.

I think the voice acting is equally good and there's more of it in P4. Also more FMV in P4. I still wish there was actual graphic sex instead of the implied sex.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Umiman wrote:In Persona 4, it's really predictable (dude, I knew who was the real killer since the beginning) and I fail to see why murders in a super sleepy small town will cause the world to turn into shadows... or even why a God is working in Inaba instead of someplace bigger. It's like she's trying to work her way up.
This sums up my problems with P4 nicely.

Persona 5 should really return to a city environment, and an epic save-the-world-kill-the-eldritch-god storyline. And bring back the evokers, those were awesome.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

The more I think about it, the more complaints I have actually. I really wish they'd drop the virtually voiceless protagonist. I know they are trying to make it feel like it's you that's experiencing these events but it really doesn't work. Maybe it works for freakshow otaku since they can believe things like actually marrying anime girls... Who knows. But for the general populace, c'mon, just give him an actual name and a proper backstory. Throughout the whole time in Persona 4, I felt like Yousuke was the real protagonist and in P3, I was just the yes man. Leader my ass, I don't do any real leader-ing other than acting as a platoon leader in combat.

Also, why the hell do they bother to give you a cool-looking starter Persona where you only use for maybe 1 hour of the game and discard forever? Collecting Persona is just the same thing as Pokemon collecting, so why can't they just make Izanagi or Orpheus grow like one of your teammates' personas? At least in New Game + for P3, I could use Orpheus Telos, who's usable in high level combat...

This brings me to my next point. P3 really is shorter than P4. There's also less pacing, and you never actually feel threathened by the atmosphere. It's more jovial altogether and the boss fights are laughably anti-climatic as well as again, predictable. Why don't they carry around a pack of duct tape with them when they go and rescue people from their shadow selves so they can slap it onto the guy before he shouts out "YOU'RE NOT ME!!!!!!" Fighting the final boss in P3 was intense, the mood was amazing and the boss music was cool as hell. It actually made a decent argument for its existence (not good though, just decent, but that's alright by me) whereas in P4.... it's like. That's it? That's all you've got?

I'm also really surprised that none of your S-links decide to just up and move with you to the city. You'd think that at least Ai Ebihara or Chie would do it but noooo.... they declare their unconditional, perfect love for you, thus creating a beautiful union that can never be broken and then say "bye bye!" Wtf? Where's the love? Why exactly does the protagonist (who I dubbed, Umi Superior. In P3, I was Umi Ultra.) have to move anyway? Doesn't make any sense.

More general gripes:
1. Why do people die when you, and the rest of your cast are gifted with ultra amazing healing powers? Does it not occur to anyone to say... cast dia on that dying major character?
2. How come in P3, you can summon your persona outside of the Dark Hour but in P4, you can't?
3. Why exactly do cast members lose fights against HUMANS when they can kick down an army of super monsters?
4. You've got to wonder. Each protagonist has a fountain of personas from all different walks of life. Maybe they could say... summon one of the heirophants during their meetings and discuss with them the problem? Or if the evil perp is running away, maybe they could summon that strength persona to chase him down? You know... just an idea.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Let's discuss. I love that.
Umiman wrote:The more I think about it, the more complaints I have actually. I really wish they'd drop the virtually voiceless protagonist. I know they are trying to make it feel like it's you that's experiencing these events but it really doesn't work. Maybe it works for freakshow otaku since they can believe things like actually marrying anime girls... Who knows. But for the general populace, c'mon, just give him an actual name and a proper backstory. Throughout the whole time in Persona 4, I felt like Yousuke was the real protagonist and in P3, I was just the yes man. Leader my ass, I don't do any real leader-ing other than acting as a platoon leader in combat.
Well, to be fair, in P3, you ARE the yes man and the platoon leader. Nowhere do they say that you're the actual leader of SEES. That job went to Ikutsuki and later Mitsuru and Akihiko.

I thought that the whole "YOU ARE THE PROTAGONIST LOL" thing was used to great effect in P3 for the final twist. I loved that.
Spoiler! :
YOU died. Not the main character. YOU die. The character you're supposed to spend the entire game injecting your personality into, the one you're suppoesd to identify with, the blank slate for you to write on, dies.

It's brilliant. Not that it hasn't been done before, but it's played up so damn well.
But it doesn't work in P4 because they gave him too much of a personality to be just a mime but too little to be an actual character. Another thing I think they should work on. Also he's boring.
Umiman wrote: Also, why the hell do they bother to give you a cool-looking starter Persona where you only use for maybe 1 hour of the game and discard forever? Collecting Persona is just the same thing as Pokemon collecting, so why can't they just make Izanagi or Orpheus grow like one of your teammates' personas? At least in New Game + for P3, I could use Orpheus Telos, who's usable in high level combat...
Because then you'd never use any other Persona if you could help it? I don't know... just gameplay design I guess.
Umiman wrote:This brings me to my next point. P3 really is shorter than P4. There's also less pacing, and you never actually feel threathened by the atmosphere. It's more jovial altogether and the boss fights are laughably anti-climatic as well as again, predictable. Why don't they carry around a pack of duct tape with them when they go and rescue people from their shadow selves so they can slap it onto the guy before he shouts out "YOU'RE NOT ME!!!!!!" Fighting the final boss in P3 was intense, the mood was amazing and the boss music was cool as hell. It actually made a decent argument for its existence (not good though, just decent, but that's alright by me) whereas in P4.... it's like. That's it? That's all you've got?
Again, summing up my problems nicely. Although I think you mean "P4 is shorter than P3"?
Umiman wrote:I'm also really surprised that none of your S-links decide to just up and move with you to the city. You'd think that at least Ai Ebihara or Chie would do it but noooo.... they declare their unconditional, perfect love for you, thus creating a beautiful union that can never be broken and then say "bye bye!" Wtf? Where's the love? Why exactly does the protagonist (who I dubbed, Umi Superior. In P3, I was Umi Ultra.) have to move anyway? Doesn't make any sense.
Again, just more (admittedly somewhat poor) gameplay design. Also, he has to move because he was only supposed to stay in Inaba for a year while his parents were overseas.
Umiman wrote: More general gripes:
1. Why do people die when you, and the rest of your cast are gifted with ultra amazing healing powers? Does it not occur to anyone to say... cast dia on that dying major character?
2. How come in P3, you can summon your persona outside of the Dark Hour but in P4, you can't?
3. Why exactly do cast members lose fights against HUMANS when they can kick down an army of super monsters?
4. You've got to wonder. Each protagonist has a fountain of personas from all different walks of life. Maybe they could say... summon one of the heirophants during their meetings and discuss with them the problem? Or if the evil perp is running away, maybe they could summon that strength persona to chase him down? You know... just an idea.
1. This is a complaint leveled against any RPG with healing mechanics. Pretend they can't actually use healing magic and it makes more sense.
2. The P4 protagonists don't have the evokers, nor have they heard of them. They can't summon the cards to crush in the real world, so they don't think they can summon Personas into it.
3. Said humans usually have either guns or personas. If they don't, then the protagonists aren't summoning their Personas in order to keep normal people from knowing about them. Alternately, if you mean why they can't kick the crap out of them when their physical attacks can decimate monsters easily, again, RPG mechanics.
4. Personas are only useful for combat, unless they're a support persona. They're protectors, not utility tools.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

I dunno. I never really felt like I was the protagonist in P3 though I did feel very connected to the characters. There were more relatable and less boring I guess. I don't understand the resolution in FES though. I know that
Spoiler! :
Nyx is just summoned by mankind (through that silly beast image thing) and her arrival in inevitable and that the protagonist merely just made it impossible for mankind's cries for death to reach her. However, we also know that Nyx wouldn't arrive if the shadows weren't allowed to fuse (either that or she wouldn't arrive so early). We ALSO know that the reason Nyx came so fast is because people got a sense of dread from all the Nyx followers and apathy syndrome patients caused by... yup. Nyx. So... why don't they just travel back in time and stop themselves from destroying the shadows? Or better yet, go back in time and kill Mitsuru's grandfather or blow up the lab or something. If anything it would certainly put Nyx's inevitable arrival to some point in the future so far away that no one cares.

I mean, after all, if Nyx would come in the near future without anyone's intervention... then the bad guys in that game are morons. All they would have needed to do was wait. They would have been guaranteed to win with no cost whatsoever to themselves.

Return to “Games & Computing”