Doujinshi and internet game list

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: Doujinshi and internet game list

Post by onizuka-gto »

ben1234 wrote:
onizuka-gto wrote:Tales or GTFO!

*flicks though more GAMESFAQ comment threads for more material*

:roll: :P
You must have missed the huge hype over Tales of VS -_-

you mean the pirate girl in the ps3 version?

meh....
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ben1234 »

Not Vesperia, Verus.

That new one for PSP with like 35 characters.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ben1234 wrote:Not Vesperia, Verus.

That new one for PSP with like 35 characters.
how is that version in your opinion ? i felt even though is a nice mash-up there is no story. than again who the hell i am? dissidia didn't seem to have a good story or reason for the characters to meet but the game is too fun.

baka baka baka
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

As someone who's played both the English and Jap versions of Dissidia and about 2 hours of ToV, I can easily say:

ToV > Dissidia

ToV actually feels like a fighting game. Even that Wallbreaker minigame is awesome. Though I kinda spammed the start button during story mode because they talk too much :P

Dissidia is just a fanservice game that will make you spend months to grind for the best equips. But you're probably not going to play it for several months because the gameplay is horrid (let's not mention how all the characters are outclassed by Exdeath). Its only saving grace is probably the pretty graphics, but that's not very important for fighting games.

Also: http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/5645 ... 514ec1.jpg
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Just wanna add that Namco Bandai did a great job with balancing all 35 charatcers in ToV. Hell, even that combat useless Mint can hold her own against Dhaos.

Dissidia on the other hand...
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I found a game called Magical Battle Arena. It is basically a mahou shoujo fighter featuring characters like Takamichi Nanoha, Vito, Fate Testarossa, and Lina Inverse among others. It is a 3-D fighter with some fairly decent graphics. I am still trying to troubleshoot the game to get it work on my computer. Although I would like to blame my 64-bit Vista for this one, apparently others have gotten it to work. That seems to the problem with these doujin games: they are highly inconsistent with how they behave from system to system.

On another note, how anyone tried the new Melty Blood game yet?
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Ok. I finally have been able to play Magical Battle Arena and its subsequent updates (Lyrical Pack and Complete Pack). The game is impressive for a doujin game in terms of its game play. However, the controls can be somewhat glitchy. One example is the fact that once a character is hit, you might as well kiss half of their health goodbye. This is very frustrating at times if you are the one being hit. Sometimes, the controls just will not do what the player wants. "Go left!"...or get hit a million more times and die. The game plays much like the DBZ Budokai games in a lot of ways. Each character has three special attacks and two "berserker" attacks complemented with plain magic and short range physical attacks. Much of the game is done flying. The player can press the "dash" button to gain more speed or double tap it to do a speed burst. In addition, the player can cycle through and/or disengage their target or opponent. The combination of these abilities allows for the player to move about the stage fairly freely. The stages themselves are not horribly designed, but they do tend to show about a PS1 or PS2 level of graphics. The modes of play include "Story Mode," "Mission Mode," "Survival Mode," "Training Mode," "Network Versus Mode," and "Versus Mode." The first three modes along the player to unlock many of the secrets in the games, which includes several characters, stages, and loading screens. The options menu allows the player to control the screen resolution, the fps rate, the difficulty, the control configuration, and several other options. The game allows the choice of playing between a keyboard and a gamepad. The music for the game is alright, but it certainly will not win any awards in the near future or have catalog like Touhou. Regardless, the game holds its own, despite the control glitches. Some of the "berserker" attacks really make the game worth it. Also, if one is looking for a challenge, this game has that and then some. It will have the player wondering, "Why can I not beat this?!" The game has some degree of strategy that the player will need to adapt to on a character-by-character basis. Even then, this does not guarantee absolute victory. Either way, I give this game an 8/10.

By the way, this game has made me want the next season of Nanoha in the worst way. :wink:
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I found another interesting gem called Rosenkreuzstilette and the trial version of its sequel called Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel. These games are basically MegaMan clones with a Castlevania twist thrown in for good measure. The cast is predominantly female (go figure :roll: ). Basically, the player has to fight through various stages filled with traps and enemies to reach the boss, who is one of the protagonist's friends. Why fight your friends? Apparently, as you and your friends are all in a magical group together that is fighting against oppression and discrimination X-Men style, your friends have decided to start a coup d'etat while you were away. So, being more gun-ho about justice than Amelia of Slayers, the main protagonist, Spiritia, and her fairy sidekick decide to fight through some very difficult levels. The controls are alright. They sometimes do whatever they want despite the player's will. The graphics nor music will not win any awards anytime soon, but they were not the selling point of the game. The good ol' 2-D sidescroller MegaMan feel with a fairly interesting plot made the game worth it, regardless of the number of times I died. This is a good game to kill an afternoon on. I give it a 7.5/10.

In other news, I just found the Galaxy Angel game for PC with an English patch! We shall see how this goes...it is basically a VN with the cast from the anime. To my knowledge, it is safe for work.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Here is a nice little game that has been licensed by a group in the United States called Carpe Fulgur. The game itself is called "Recettear," and it answers the question of what RPG item and weapons shops do in the time that the adventurers in RPGs are NOT in their stores. The game has received positive reviews by animenewsnetwork among other sites. A free demo is available on the website, which has the game fully translated into English. The game is a lot of fun (at least the demo), and I highly recommend giving it a try, if you like RPGs and even if you do not. The demo is actually somewhat on the long side, so you should be able to play it for a while. No official release nor price point has been given for the game though. I have put it on my "want to play" list though.

Update:I am somewhat bored now, despite the new Touhou 12.8 game. Regardless, "Recettear" will be out on September 10 in completely in English with a few Japanese voice lines. The game costs $17.99 with the pre-order and $19.99 afterwards (if I am not mistaken.) You can pick it up at one of these three sites linked here. If you did get the demo by chance, you can include the results of your hard work into the full version. Have fun!

An aside: Comiket 78 happened not too long ago. Some of the things that came out of it are not bad like playing as Touhou 12.8 and Touhou Sky Fight. Please me PM if you are interested in playing any of the games from Comiket 78.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

For those of you who like their shooters, "Trouble Witches" has finally been imported to the XBox360 in the United States in both Japanese and English! :D I am putting this on my "to-play" list. I have other games that I have played since I last posted here (if anybody cares), but I have been too lazy to update this. -_-
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I am currently playing "Touhou Labyrinth," which is an RPG dungeon crawler. All I can say for now: addictive as cocaine.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

OT, but what's with that 6-posts straight? :lol:
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Look at the dates. I am just posting because it is a list and review. If nobody responds, that it what you get.

BOT, one of the problems with "Touhou Labyrinth" is that you are stuck with the same skills that you start out with for every character. Your stats improve, but you had better kiss off the idea of seeing your characters gain new skills and abilities.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Here is a Nyu Media game localizer. I look forward to their releases this winter.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I just picked up "Cherry Tree High Comedy Club." So far, it is a good game, but, if you do not like the Social Links in Persona games, you will not like this one.

Here is the link to the publisher's website. They have a nice line-up for a newer company, especially Ether Vapor and Fairy Bloom Freesia.

Return to “Games & Computing”