Doujinshi and internet game list

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Doujinshi and internet game list

Post by ainsoph9 »

I got into looking into some doujinshi games, thanks to animenewsnetwork. I wound up looking for some games and downloading them (i.e., Vanguard Princess), but it got me wondering just how deep the rabbit hole goes for doujinshi games. So, I was thinking that it would be nice to have a list of doujinshi game recommendations that are safe for work here. The rules for this thread are just basically give your thoughts on the last game recommendation and post your own recommendation with perhaps a little bit of a description/review.

To start:

I recommend Eternal Fighter Zero (EFZ) for just being a fun fighter that uses your favorite characters from series like Air and Kanon. While some of the moves are somewhat challenging to pull off, I would say that this fighter's controls are not too bad, meaning that you can still button mash more or less. The graphics are not that great, but the game has some interesting moves and music (if you like techno). Some of the art that comes up between the fights is quite beautiful. I will say that one of the problems of the game is that you can do some overkill on cheap moves sometimes. The AI generally is able to compensate for this, but by the time this happens you have won at least one round. Overall, I give this game a 7/10 just for the fun factor alone.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Doujinshi and internet game list

Post by b0mb3r »

i recommend Vanguard Princess

Pros:

Cute girls
Awesome Spirtes
Nice fighting system and a bit of assist

Cons:

Some characters are broken
controls are hard to understand without japanese
need to change the language of the computer to play this game

fine overall need some bugs to fix

by doujinshi u mean doujinshi companies too? like type-moon and 07 expansion? but everyone already know and love fate and tsukihime (tsuki i gonna finish u one day) and Higurashi series.

recent VN games that got me into VNs beside Fate are:

Brass Restoration (been posted before)- original thinking main
Katawa Shoujo (which i post last month) an honest approach how to deal with disabled girls

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Even though I have not played this yet (and it will be a few weeks before I can get to it), I recommend the Azumanga Daioh! fighter game. I think that the reason for the recommendation is fairly obvious. I mean, who would not want to see Osaka kicking Tomo's butt or finish the "rivalry" between Sakaki and Kagura once and for all? Frankly, I would like to see Chi-chan take out Yukari-sensei for all of the short jokes and crazy car rides. Anyhow, I read on another forum somewhere that the controls are somewhat buggy and that the game suffers some stability problems, but I think that it will be worth giving a shot. After I play it, I will try to remember to post a rating for this game.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Forgive the double post, but I think I may have stumbled upon doujin game awesomeness to the nth level. For those of you who like Touhou, Lucky Star, or Ragnarok Online, I found awesomeness for each of these gems.

To begin with Touhou, I was able to find both of the Touhou fighter games: "Immaterial and Missing Power" and "Scarlet Weather Rhapsody." They were not too terribly difficult to track down, but they are somewhat obscure like most of the doujin games that I have found so far.

Moving on, if you are a fan of Lucky Star and remember the scene where Konata fights a certain character from a certain popular video game series (which received funding from a certain group of very nice people), then Lucky Star Battle Chronicle is the game for you. Apparently, this game is so rare that only a handful of people got their hands on it in Japan as part of a special offer. It appears that you can fight as the characters from Lucky Star in true Lucky Star fashion like seeing Konata perform the move she used in the series to defeat that certain character from that certain popular video game series. I have yet to find any guides for this game, but it looks promising.

Finally, this game is more well-known, but Ragnarok Battle Offline is out there and available. I recommend playing this just for laughs. From what I have seen, it reminds me a lot of Paper Mario, but we shall see.

If you want any of these games, please PM me.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Here is a my latest doujin game addiction: Gadget Trial. I would recommend this game to anyone who likes Super Robot Wars or FF Tactics, as it is an RTS/visual novel. While the story is not the most interesting, Sugita Tomokazu (Kyon) voices Major Mihara with some other good voice talent. An English patch does exist for the game. You can find the link for getting the game above. Here is the wikipedia article on the game for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadget_Trial
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

ainsoph9 wrote:Finally, this game is more well-known, but Ragnarok Battle Offline is out there and available. I recommend playing this just for laughs. From what I have seen, it reminds me a lot of Paper Mario, but we shall see.
Ah, the good old days of RBO. Loved playing it a lot, and managed to "infect" two of my coursemate to play them haha. Everything about the characters is nice. Loved the gameplay. Here's what I like about my favorite used characters:

- Male Swordman: Easier-to-link combos plus a Magnum Break which hits better than the Female Swordman. Double Bash also proved to be helpful if you don't mind wasting lots of SP on the go.
- Female Swordman: Quite as good as the Male Swordman, but her mid-air Bash FREAKING GOES MULTIPLE HIT FROM TOP TO TOE OF BIG ENEMIES LIKE CUTTING A CAKE! And not to mention every single hit of the mid-air launched Bash has Bash's base damage! It proved to be really useful against large-bodied bosses such as Baphomet.
- Female Thief: Once she's in mid-air and pouncing towards the opponent straight downward, it's hell for them. Oh, shall I mention she can launch herself high up into the air with the use of... uh, Spiderman-style trapeze? Also she can even peform Envenom in mid-air. Double Attack is too good not to miss. I bet someone can make her kill any boss without having to touch the ground at all.
- Male Archer: I love abusing Charge Arrow. I love abusing Mid-air Launched Arrow Shower. And worst of all, I love sitting around just shooting them out one by one. Or maybe more of them in a single shot.
- Male Magician: Fireballs makes sure they're out of the way. Thunderstorm basically rocks everything within your sight, but can take quite some time to cast. But you don't need to sweat much though.
- Male Acolyte: Looks week but do NOT underestimate him. Be BIG enough for him to jump on and he'll give a good multiple-hit series of punches while in mid-air.

Although, I haven't unlocked the Novice yet... :(
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ainsoph9 wrote:Here is a my latest doujin game addiction: Gadget Trial. I would recommend this game to anyone who likes Super Robot Wars or FF Tactics, as it is an RTS/visual novel. While the story is not the most interesting, Sugita Tomokazu (Kyon) voices Major Mihara with some other good voice talent. An English patch does exist for the game. You can find the link for getting the game above. Here is the wikipedia article on the game for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadget_Trial
lol just bought final fantasy tactics advance for gba

baka baka baka
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

b0mb3r wrote: lol just bought final fantasy tactics advance for gba

final fantasy?

FAIL.

Tales Universe FTW!!

*runs off to break into his mates house so he can play tales of versperia on his 360*

miiiiinnnnneeee!

*goes mad levelling monster on Takes of Symphonia:DOTNW*
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

onizuka-gto wrote:
b0mb3r wrote: lol just bought final fantasy tactics advance for gba

final fantasy?

FAIL.

Tales Universe FTW!!

*runs off to break into his mates house so he can play tales of versperia on his 360*

miiiiinnnnneeee!

*goes mad levelling monster on Takes of Symphonia:DOTNW*
oh come on don't diss tactics. i admire tales ever since i beat my 1st tales game symphonia over an year ago with is battle system yes but admire the strategy game tactics offer. to me is in par with fire emblem. each rpg is unique. again is the same old question which fruit you like better

baka baka baka
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Tales or GTFO!

*flicks though more GAMESFAQ comment threads for more material*

:roll: :P
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

onizuka-gto wrote:Tales or GTFO!

gamefaqs material? are you writing a fan fic?

the other tales game i really want to play is versperia (which i am getting for my bros PS3! this christmas ha!) and tales of abyss. the other ones i do not know. any recommendations?

baka baka baka
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Versperia is a great game, story and graphically beautiful as expected from a tales game, but i find it a bit lacking.

one of them is the frustrating lag it has during battles, unlike the Tales of Symph, it's almost turn based-real-time, you can't pull off combo's immediately, you can't cancel mid combo to block, and if you run you have to stop to attack or you will only get a penalty lagging one hit.

Also one of the most annoying thing, you can't add monsters to your party, I really loved the monster thing.

Dunno how to rate the artes on versperia compared to ToS, i haven't got far on it enough to even pull one off.

@Onizukademongto
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

onizuka-gto wrote:Versperia is a great game, story and graphically beautiful as expected from a tales game, but i find it a bit lacking.

one of them is the frustrating lag it has during battles, unlike the Tales of Symph, it's almost turn based-real-time, you can't pull off combo's immediately, you can't cancel mid combo to block, and if you run you have to stop to attack or you will only get a penalty lagging one hit.

Also one of the most annoying thing, you can't add monsters to your party, I really loved the monster thing.

Dunno how to rate the artes on versperia compared to ToS, i haven't got far on it enough to even pull one off.
monster? don't you mean Dawn of the New World? i don't recall summoning monsters in the 1st ToS besides the usual summons

baka baka baka
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

onizuka-gto wrote:Tales or GTFO!

You must have missed the huge hype over Tales of VS -_-
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I just finished the story mode on Gadget Trial. The game was fairly challenging and fun; the downside was that it was eating my soul. The story was okay but fairly predictable. The graphics were decent but not like Oblivion or something of that caliber. I recommend this game to people who have a lot of time on their hands because each battle is lengthy and can sometimes become somewhat annoying due to repetition and the fact that the enemy does not know when to quit. I would also recommend that for most of the game you try the following strategy:
Spoiler! :
Build lots of Souka bombers and fighters with Izen heavy infantry to take over the enemy's ports, factories, and airbases. Use Hisoka landing crafts, Souka air carriers, and Nei APCs to transport the infantry around. Once you have air superiority, the battle is pretty much yours unless you really screw up. Producing other units except for many some Nei tanks is mostly useless and unnecessary. Finally, get used to being massively outmatched in every battle at the start. Once you overcome this, the battle becomes like a siege against your enemy.

I give this game an 8/10.

Return to “Games & Computing”