Perfectionism?

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Perfectionism?

Post by b0mb3r »

any of you obsessive with perfectionism in games? anyway this post is another outlet to let out a bit of my frustration.

i recently order a game for my gba called Riviera the Promised Land. This type of grinding is unique i must say. Instead of constant fights with monsters, the way to level up is to built your mastery over weapons and items. each of these inventory are used differently depending on the character. the weapon/item has couple of bars to fill, each to be fill with each turn. once the bars are full you unlock its special finishing move and it increase your stats. so there is alot of weapons. this game doesn't even have random encounters. hell it limits exploration a bit too. each area you enter you can never go back forcing you to choose multiple paths and it has a mechanism called trigger points. trigger points are earn by fighting monsters and are used to trigger different events. for example either i can ignore this bush or save my points and move on. this bush could either have monsters, items or a new path to take. the point of frustration i find is that i like to explore every crang of games and this game force you not to, adding more re playability (along with multiple endings and different girls). in some sense is like a visual novel except limited saving, rpg fighting and harder.

so your allow to save at the entry of each area. with that i explore multiple entry. once i come with a satisfying path i find myself i choose to follow but but alias i forget some items. so is not that i miss a potion or anything like that. i constantly miss items that helps level my character so i keep resetting to find those item. there is a practice arena in the menu where you train your weapons. so i find the items train the weapons to full potential realize i miss weapons, reset and re-grind until i miss more and i had to fight the same monsters in the storyline to the point is like random encounters. also i tried to finish each chapter with an A but my screw up leads to not to A.

sum it up am i a perfectism idiot? and have you guys suffer rpgs where you reset them and do unnecessary grinding?

baka baka baka
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Re: Perfectionism?

Post by Rectifier »

I can't stand grinding in any game, to me, that means the game design is fundamentally flawed for the overall player experience.
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

Yeah, if you have to grind in a game, when do you have fun?
Gloria~
Astral Realm

Post by Gloria~ »

Sadly, most MMORPGs, the Korean ones are especially notable, require an amazing amount of grinding to play...
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

If there were just more to fights than pressing a spell or attack hotkey, I wouldn't mind. These online RPGs need to be more like the fighting in Morrowind or Oblivion where actual skill is involved.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Riviera.... I have the game, and made a mistake, got lost at some part where u need to shift stones or something and i have no idea whats going on, so in the end i gave up...

P.S. i didnt finish quite a lot of games just i wanted to do some side-quests etc first
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Gloria~
Astral Realm

Post by Gloria~ »

Dan wrote:If there were just more to fights than pressing a spell or attack hotkey, I wouldn't mind. These online RPGs need to be more like the fighting in Morrowind or Oblivion where actual skill is involved.
Well, in my opinion, Mabinogi's also a good game of skill too, since it requires tactics to some degree. There's a huge difference between a pro and a newb there..
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Gloria~ wrote:
Dan wrote:If there were just more to fights than pressing a spell or attack hotkey, I wouldn't mind. These online RPGs need to be more like the fighting in Morrowind or Oblivion where actual skill is involved.
Well, in my opinion, Mabinogi's also a good game of skill too, since it requires tactics to some degree. There's a huge difference between a pro and a newb there..
Playing SD gundam from time to time... Suits arent impossible to get, so it takes skill to play, not too hard to join in, yet not too easy to be a truly good player... A rather simple and challenging online game. But well, guess it wont impress most of you guys.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Shdwfalcon
Astral Realm

Post by Shdwfalcon »

Gloria~ wrote:Sadly, most MMORPGs, the Korean ones are especially notable, require an amazing amount of grinding to play...
Not surprising, since the easiest and simplest way to get people to stay ingame for long periods of time is to make them do something, no matter how dumb or brainless it is. And heavy grinding is the easiest to implement into the game design.

And I'm playing SD Gundam Capsule Fighter too~ Yay! Korean server has a fearsome variety of suits. x.x
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

You haven't grinded until you play Monster Hunter.

50 hours on Rajang.... 50... f-ing.... hours

P.S. Is it just me or does Rajang resemble Goku?
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

This isn't grinding, but I have probably spent somewhere close to 2000+ total hours on warcraft 3 alone. Mod communities ftw.
Gloria~
Astral Realm

Post by Gloria~ »

Well, the most grinding I could ever think of was getting my character to level 192 around five~six years ago, on a Korean server. Even though the Korean server has a lot of events, that long ago... The amount of grinding needed is really too great to say.. Gah, my life wasted on such a game.. And I have no way to get it back, >.>

Return to “Games & Computing”