Top Ten RPGs

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Top Ten RPGs

Post by b0mb3r »

onizuka-gto wrote:Last 10 years which I can remember....

1) Skies of Arcadia (All Time!)
2) Grandia II (All time!)
3) Shenmue
4) Phantasy Online
5) Zelda Twilight Princess
6) Zelda Phantom Hourglass
7) Baldurs Gate
8) Tales of Symphonia II
9) Tales of Vesperia
10) Morrowind Elder Scrolls
o_O tales 2. r u serious?

though i admit i like how the top 4 are dreamcast games. thinking about about getting skies but i saw review about nostalgia for the ds and it says the random encounter r like skies in a bad way. is it true?

baka baka baka
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

b0mb3r wrote:
Rectifier wrote:I'll raise you the best picture clicking rpg ever, Myst & Riven.
i swear everytime i think of revan rock thingy, it looks like the rock thingy from problem child 2
Reven is the name of the awesome Sith Lord that kicks ass so much it makes Vader look pathetic (Then again, Vader was already pathetic to begin with, who in their right mind would seriously believe all that crap Palpatine says to him?) :mrgreen:

Rivan is the name of the Myst sequel which I have yet to get my hands on playing even to this day. I thought Myst was awesome, but it can be so infuriatingly difficult to beat without a walkthrough, and back then I didn't know of the internets, let alone walkthrough sites like GameFAQs.com.

Another frustratingly difficult "role-playing game" (in the strictest sense, it's actually more a problem-solving game) was an obscure game by Virgin Games (yes, the Richard Branson virgin, now Virgin Entertainment) called KGB. I think I got it as a Xmas gift back in 1991, and was the puzzles were just too ridiculously hard for my pre-pubescent mind to comprehend. It wasn't till 2 years ago that I downloaded an emulator, and finally got through with that game all thanks to GameFAQs.com. Finally, that's one teenage demon laid to rest. :lol:

Speaking of GameFAQs, I'm amazed it contains walkthroughs for even some obscure eroges which some of you hear probably never heard of. In fact, I was googling everywhere hoping for tonnes of Japanese walkthroughs for this game I'm trying to beat in order to get the girl shagged senseless, and there at the top of Google was this page from GameFAQs, and it's in ENGLISH, MOTHERF***ER!
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Pardon for going off topic, so I'm going to make a list out of those RPG's I've ever played.

Granted, I don't play a lot of RPGs, even less so nowadays, so please bear with me with the abundance of old school titles, and naturally Square titles.

1. FF7 - First RPG ever played. I remember being obsessed with it, the plot, as well as all the twist and characters, even at school I was thinking nothing but it. Will always have a special place in my heart.

1. Chrono Trigger - Loved it. Needless to say, joint first with FF7 for me. I know most of you would say CT should be on top, I agree, but such is the influence of FF7 on my mind.

3. Chrono Cross - Fun game. And plenty of guitar songs to play on.

4. Suikoden 2 - Well crafted story

5. Xenogears - Great first disc, crap second disc. EVA-like story was ok, I guess.

I think I'll stop here, as the rest I've played are FF titles lower in the rankings, some obscure Square titles like Parasite Eve, and the rest of the Suikoden series, and some Zelda GBA titles. Choices which are so pathetic that it'll be a waste of a facepalm for you guys. :lol:

Games that I've not played but heard of for it's popularity which I'd like to get my hands on someday:

1. KOTOR and KOTOR 2

2. One of those Tales of series. Which was was the most popular again?

3. Kingdom Hearts. I can't believe I've yet to play this.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

b0mb3r wrote:
o_O tales 2. r u serious?

though i admit i like how the top 4 are dreamcast games. thinking about about getting skies but i saw review about nostalgia for the ds and it says the random encounter r like skies in a bad way. is it true?
I'm serious about the ToS:DoW, first time I've played a Tales game from beginning to the end, played one of the tales on the PSone but because it was at my mates place and he didn't really like RPG never did get to finish it before he sold it.

But yeah, the monster capturing thing on ToS 2 really gave me a kick, i'm not into pokemon but i think I know how they feel, but minus the stupid looking monster.

But yeah, to answer your first question, Skies of Arcadia had the frigging annoying random encounter ever.

You know how it was, you run down a empty street/corridor/cave/sky then BAMMN! random encounter, it was bloody ridiculous, no warning, lazy implementation in hindsight.

Probably why I really enjoyed Grandia II which i played right after Skies and it allowed you actually see the monsters so you could avoid them or at leased run away to a limited degree.

Probably wondering why I didn't mention an Final Fantasy, as I mentioned above, i was a DC bloke, screw PS!!

:lol: :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ben1234 »

Screw the FF franchise in general (expect War of the Lions of course)
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

Kingdom Hearts is all hype from fanboys, the combat system is really boring and easy. In fact, its almost a direct ripoff from a previous Square-Enix combat system from the Seiken Densetsu series (SNES).

The plot isn't worth the merit people talk about, all it does is have essentially children's dialogue and plot sequences, and then it vaguely alludes to an existential theme every once in a while. Gee you know what kind of juvenile writing that reminds me of? Oh yeah, that stupid Mikuru J.K. Rowling or Stephanie Meyer.

The platformer puzzles and mini-games are placed conveniently frequent in order to get your mind off the mind-numbingly boring combat, but even that seems like a chore.

Summation: Combat is boring and simple, the plot was probably written by someone with down syndrome, and the mini-games are fun sometimes, but there are too many and quickly become boring as well.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Most, if not all, Kingdom Heart games can be beaten with a combination of a single button + basic movement
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Kinny Riddle wrote:
b0mb3r wrote:
i swear everytime i think of revan rock thingy, it looks like the rock thingy from problem child 2
Reven is the name of the awesome Sith Lord that kicks ass so much it makes Vader look pathetic (Then again, Vader was already pathetic to begin with, who in their right mind would seriously believe all that crap Palpatine says to him?) :mrgreen:
wow Revan is so awesome i accidentally misspell Riven lol.

GTO: Should i still get Skies? i am planning to get that and grandia II. yes DC rock my house to this day with:
Power Stone 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Street Fighter 3rd Strike/Alpha 3, Dynamite Cop, Sonic Adventure I/II, Soul Calibur, Jet set RADIO!, House of the DEAD 2!, and f*CKIN! VIRTUAL ON! i just find my poor dc lacking some rpg.

rect/ben: i still want to play kingdom hearts 2. i only play the beginning a bit but i was hooked. but my friend re-sold it so i never got a chance to play it again!

baka baka baka
Muffinman
Astral Realm

Post by Muffinman »

ben1234 wrote:Most, if not all, Kingdom Heart games can be beaten with a combination of a single button + basic movement
Kingdom of Hearts = Disney Marketing scheme
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

My new list:

1. Monster Hunter - There's a reason why it's Japan's most successful title since FF and Dragon Quest
2. Tales of Vesperia - Yuri/Rita/Judith <3
3. Disgaea - Exploding penguins ftw
4. Final Fantasy Tactics (War of the Lions) - The only FF game that I truly enjoyed
5. Tales of Destiny 2 and/or Destiny Remake - Barbatos is the best antagonist in all of RPG history
6. Brave Story - Would be rated higher if the above games weren't so epic
7. Golden Sun: The Lost Age - More for the sentimental value than anything else
8. Fire Emblem 4 - Best. Fire. Emblem. Game. EVER
9. Breath of Fire - Everyone likes dragons!
10. Pokemon Red - It did spawn a franchise that makes even Gundam cry in a dark corner...

If you seriously doubt the awesomeness that is Barbatos, then name me any villain that can:
  • Punish the player for using spells and/or items
  • OHKO the player's team for being in easy mode
  • Randomly appears to stop players from auto-leveling
  • Block attacks with nothing but his biceps
Not even FF villains can claim any of that :twisted:
Muffinman
Astral Realm

Post by Muffinman »

ben1234 wrote:My new list:

1. Monster Hunter - There's a reason why it's Japan's most successful title since FF and Dragon Quest
2. Tales of Vesperia - Yuri/Rita/Judith <3
3. Disgaea - Exploding penguins ftw
4. Final Fantasy Tactics (War of the Lions) - The only FF game that I truly enjoyed
5. Tales of Destiny 2 and/or Destiny Remake - Barbatos is the best antagonist in all of RPG history
6. Brave Story - Would be rated higher if the above games weren't so epic
7. Golden Sun: The Lost Age - More for the sentimental value than anything else
8. Fire Emblem 4 - Best. Fire. Emblem. Game. EVER
9. Breath of Fire - Everyone likes dragons!
10. Pokemon Red - It did spawn a franchise that makes even Gundam cry in a dark corner...

If you seriously doubt the awesomeness that is Barbatos, then name me any villain that can:
  • Punish the player for using spells and/or items
  • OHKO the player's team for being in easy mode
  • Randomly appears to stop players from auto-leveling
  • Block attacks with nothing but his biceps
Not even FF villains can claim any of that :twisted:
Wtf... he can do that? That's pretty cheap and awesome at the same time
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

An example of his anti-powerleveling awesomeness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aApNG5RB2s

8)

Barbatos is so awesome and evil that when he finally died in battle, the people decided to erase any traces of him from history

Then when he was revived, the first thing he did was kill off the hero of the prequel and seriously wounds his wife/other hero
Last edited by ben1234 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MechLeo
Astral Realm

Post by MechLeo »

Top Ten RPGs? This is where I live!

1 Chrono Trigger
2 Skies of Arcadia
3 Final Fantasy 3/6
4 Zelda OOT/MM
5 Golden Sun (both parts - they are essentially the same game)
6 Tales of Phantasia
6 Tales of Symphonia (where is ToS2??? It's not here, that's where [in UK].)
8 Mother 3 (I have not had the chance to play the others.)
9 Harvest Moon 64 (Yay, Karen!)
10 Pokemon!!! R/B/Y

FF7, because everyone says it is an excellent game, deserves a special mention as does FF Tactics Advance - I can't remember a more compelling strategy RPG than this. I have not played the former though. My last special mention goes to Seiken Densetsu 2 [and three, but two is better]
onizuka-gto wrote: But yeah, to answer your first question, Skies of Arcadia had the frigging annoying random encounter ever.

You know how it was, you run down a empty street/corridor/cave/sky then BAMMN! random encounter, it was bloody ridiculous, no warning, lazy implementation in hindsight.

Probably why I really enjoyed Grandia II which i played right after Skies and it allowed you actually see the monsters so you could avoid them or at leased run away to a limited degree.

Probably wondering why I didn't mention an Final Fantasy, as I mentioned above, i was a DC bloke, screw PS!!

:lol: :roll:
I agree whole heartedly. I spent two years searching for this game, and after finding it took another three years to get to the end. That random encounter thing was half the reason. You could have ten encounters in a relatively short corridor. Always, after you have saved and are primed for the boss that will come, you meet up with an encounter that serves only to annoy, and take down your hp and mp. Good times.

The other half of the reason was climbing those ladders. To me, it felt an eternity had passed, without reaching the top.

I am in the same boat as oni regarding FF. I am not a DC guy though, I am a Nintendo guy. Every one since the Game Boy Pocket, and counting. Nintendo Banzai!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

b0mb3r wrote:GTO: Should i still get Skies? i am planning to get that and grandia II.
Yes.

Because it has great characters, beautiful atmosphere, fun game control (excluding random encounters) and last for the best, fantastic story.

You know when a game is good, when the same developing studio is still here in the latest gaming generation, making games on an entirely different platform (PS3) and having main characters of Skies of Arcadia appear in their latest game (Valkyrie Chronicles) as specials. :wink:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Valkyrie Chronicles?!

wait same universe?

baka baka baka

Return to “Games & Computing”