Top Ten RPGs

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Top Ten RPGs

Post by b0mb3r »

I just went to Sankaku Complex on the topic about the Japanese top ten RPGs. I read alot of arugement of which one deserve the top ten so i made this topic for three reasons. 1. to list my own top ten. 2. i want to hears yours 3. i want some recommendations. (though i do not own any sony product which has a huge rpg base which i missed out)

1. Knights of the Old Republic (xbox)
2. Super Mario RPG (snes)
3. Tales of Symphonia (gamecube)
4. Zelda Twilight Princess (wii)
5. Fire Emblem (gba)
6. Pokemon Sliver (gb)
7. UNITRON (neogeo pocket)
8. Final Fantasy 7 (pc) which i still have yet to beat....
9. Golden Sun (gba)
10. Pokemon Red (gb)

(bottom halves varies. ff7 is ranked low due to my lateness in playing it and having more fun with other rpg before it)

wow i realize now i haven't played enough rpgs. in my childhood i usually watch my friend played alot of them. most rpg i played are on portables and old consoles. here are some series i missed out:

Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Disagea, Earthbound, Grandia, Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Dragoon, Lunar, Ogre Battle, Radiata Stories, Shin Megami Tensei (Persona), Shining Force, Skies of Arcadia, Star Ocean, Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Xenosaga, OTHER TALES GAMES AND FINAL FANTASY GAMES

kind of looking a nice fusion between 2-d and 3-d. like disagea. maybe i being a bit biase since old 3-d looking rpg look a bit aged that i am not sure i can pass by. then again i am playing ff7. wtf am i saying?

baka baka baka
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Top Ten RPGs

Post by ben1234 »

Just remember that most of mine are mostly from the PSP

1) Monster Hunter - There's a reason why it's Japan's most successful title since FF and Dragon Quest
2) Tales of Vesperia - Yuri/Rita/Judith <3
3) Disgaea - Exploding penguins ftw
4) Final Fantasy Tactics - The only FF game that I truly enjoyed
5) Brave Story - Would be rated higher if the above games weren't so epic
6) Golden Sun: The Lost Age - More for the sentimental value than anything else
7) Fire Emblem 4 - Best. Fire. Emblem. Game. EVER
8 ) Persona - It's Pokemon with guns and swords!
9) Breath of Fire - Everyone likes dragons!
10) Pokemon Red - It did spawn a franchise that makes even Gundam cry in a dark corner...
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

1. Bioware's d20 RPGs (BG, NWN, etc.)
2. Final Fantasy 1, 2/4 and 3/6 (The original on NES started me on Rpgs)
3. Zelda Series (Action Rpg, it has to count...)
4. Oblivion
5. Mass Effect
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Seiken Densetsu 3
8. Shining Force (Way more fun than FF Tactics or Fire Emblem imo)
9. Gauntlet and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (Fun as hell with friends)
10. Fallout 3 (Probably because my laptop lagged on anything higher than lowest settings)
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ben:

Yeah i actually admire monster hunter from the videos i seen.
Disgaea. which one? 1,2,3?
FF Tactics. i would assume it would be the ps1 version since onion knight is the most original knight i ever heard.
After researching Brave Story i am very impressed. need to find a psp emulator
Golden Sun. Lost AGE ARGGHHH. i am trying my best to find lost age for ages. after that cliffhanger my fingers are itching for more.
Fire Emblem 4. what system?
Persona....you mean the recent release one on the psp?
Breath of Fire. the most popular one i heard is IV. any good?

rec:

Mass Effect- wow i seriously wish i have some downtime with this game. pc can't handle it and no 360
Chrono Trigger- easy to find. so god damn popular i can find a definite emulator. wish i had the snes cartridge
Seiken Densetsu 3- holy crap you mean the Mana series? i got to hunt that game down too.
Shining Force. hmm the only one i know is sega saturn. please elaborate it's awesomeness.
Gauntlet: The best version is the n64 version. 4 player mayhem at the comfort of your home.
Fallout 3. sorry for crappy reason but apocalyptic setting literally make me sick. how will i ever survive for the real thing.

baka baka baka
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Disgaea 3 is for PS3 so you might want 1/2, the exploding penguins are explained early in the game anyway

There's a remake of FF Tactics for PSP as well that retains the awesomeness version. Just don't bother with Onion Knight unless you really want to have the best characters

There's always a rom for Golden Sun -_-

Fire Emblem 4 is for SNES, and it's pretty much makes all the other ones look pathetic

1) HUGE maps
2) Control up to 32 characters O_O
3) Near infinite replay value with the 2nd generation thing
4) Broken weapons

There's a Persona 1/2/3, though the PSP has remakes for 1 and 3

Hard to comment on BoF 4 since I like them all >_>
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ben1234 wrote:Disgaea 3 is for PS3 so you might want 1/2, the exploding penguins are explained early in the game anyway

There's always a rom for Golden Sun -_-

Fire Emblem 4 is for SNES, and it's pretty much makes all the other ones look pathetic
which one to play 1st? Disgaea 1 or 2?
Man i want to touch a real gba cartridge.
Fire Emblem 4. sigh i would assume is in japanese and there is no english patch

the only reason why i would use psp emulator since psp go is using software that replace umd. so it doesn't make it any difference.
Last edited by b0mb3r on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baka baka baka
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

http://darktwilkitri.thegreatbeyond.net ... mblem4.php -_-

The Disgaea games aren't related to each other besides the old characters that return for the extra missions

Though if you do have to pick, 2 has the better gameplay and graphics while 1 has the better story

Of course, emulators never matter when you have a modded PSP :lol:
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I wouldn't be able to list ten, so here's what I'm sure of.

1) Chrono Trigger - multiple endings, New Game+, great soundtrack = easily the best
2) Final Fantasy VII - first RPG I played, also a great soundtrack and I really liked the materia system
3) Breath of Fire - I don't remember them too well but I loved BoF 1-3
4) Oblivion - huge and beautiful world to explore, but the game system was not that great
5) Morrowind - was fun till I had no clue what to do, the game system was even more bugged than Oblivion
6) Diablo - sucked away too much of my life...give it back!
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Gonna have to say a couple MMOs:
1. WoW
2. Star Wars Galaxies

The Rest:
3. KotOR
4. Morrowind
5. Oblivion
6. Original Pokemon GameBoy games
7. Pretty much every console Final Fantasy game
Dang...I can't really think of any more than that.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

First, MMORPGs suck donkey penis.

Second, you can get a Shining Force rom either from Genesis or the GBA remake.

Mass Effect is great because it ties three genres I love in a believable way, first person shooter, rpg, and science fiction.

When Diablo 3, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age come out, this list will probably change completely.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

is the fire emblem site translate an emulator or the real cartridge? or is it a direct-to-download pc verison? any idea where i can find it?

speaking of rpgs let us talk about demon soul. i have probably heard about this game since gt first release this trailer. i always kept my eye on this game from good response from the japanese side but never really pay it much attention. it wasn 't until tonight when i say my friend played it. okay i still feel the same about it. is a bit claustrophobic for my taste. also dark fantasy (especially medieval setting) sickens me. also the inventory system looks complicated. the combat look dull and slow. pretty much alot of patience and timing. i felt he pretty much suck at his timing. still i guess the most interesting aspect is that since is always connect to the PSN, you will see other live ghost players who are dealing the same problems and the same area as you. also the hidden message they leave behind. i see and understand the game is hard so i like how other players online leave their blood = final moments of death. basically you learn how to fight against enemies and know your traps. the most interesting aspect is the black phantom mechanism, where other soul people tries to kill you to steal your physical bodies.

so yes i do see the challenge and the liking of this game but i prefer deep storylines and awesome battle system like tales game. also i guess i perfer the stupid anime cliche jrpg tend to have over dark fantasy. still i want to find good exceptions like tales of vesperia. also some odies like final fantasy tactics and fire emblem catches my eye.

have any of you play demon souls? or are too busy playing to comment?

baka baka baka
DInamo
Astral Realm

Post by DInamo »

1. Mass Effect: Because running around as a badass with awesome psychic (biotic) powers is kickass! It's so satisfying to lift up a group of cybernetic aliens and throw them into deep space with just using your mind 8) . I just finished this game a few weeks ago for the PC and it had a great storyline, voice acting, and plot. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it felt short, about 10-15 hours for the main story didn't feel like it was enough, luckily there's some downloadable content as I wait for Mass Effect 2 to come out.

2. KOTOR 1/2: Got this for the PC and I thought it was one of the best games I played, I only wished the graphics were better. Being able to use force persuade to make enemies give you their money and then jump into a bottomless pit is priceless :evil: .

3. The Witcher Enhanced Ver.: You play as a battlemage for hire against hordes of monsters as the strongest Witcher who has gained power far beyond human means. What can I say, I like slicing and dicing through numerous battalions of enemy forces. Its plot is quite well written being somewhat a sequel to a book of the same title and graphically it looks great. Downsides are its still kinda buggy and some of the voice acting is kinda bleh....

4. Diablo II: I spent 4 years playing it back when it first came out. A well known title, I probably don't even need to justify why its on my list.

5. Neverwinter Nights: Another old Bioware game, the single player campaign is decent but it's the multiplayer + mods that makes this game shine that will keep you hanging onto this game for a looong time. I've never played NWN 2 so I'm not sure how it fairs.

Getting lazy now....

6. Persona 3
7. Persona 4
8. Assassin's Creed
9. SMT III:Nocturne
10. Star Ocean 3
b0mb3r wrote:is the fire emblem site translate an emulator or the real cartridge? or is it a direct-to-download pc verison? any idea where i can find it?
It looks like just the patch, you can find the jap. ver to get it patched on romnation, just google it.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Now that I think about it, System Shock 2 was an RPG - make that my #3 instead.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

I couldnt rank any, because I think I never played one really till the end... ;) at least not that I can remember...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

more research on brave story.

is losely based on the manga, which is based on the light novel. have any of you read brave story and how it is compared to the game?

baka baka baka

Return to “Games & Computing”