Save my monitor! T_T

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

dragonst
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Save my monitor! T_T

Post by dragonst »

I just got back from overseas and my monitor just went crazy on me T_T The colours are distorted, and anything that's supposed to be white is now pink. I'm using a HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop. Core 2 Duo 2.00 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, Nvidia Geforce 8400 (if I remember correctly), and running windows vista home premium. I've been using this laptop for 2 and a half years already.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
誰にも知られることなく、散っていく命がありました。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
明日さえも見えない絶望の中で、今日を生きる権利すら奪われた戦士たち。
守るべき祖国から捨てられ、戦争の大義も、勝利の栄光も、自らの名前さえも奪われた戦士たち。
そして、理想を追い求め、自らの手を血に染める戦士たち。
戦場という絶望の中で、彼らが見た希望とは何だったのでしょうか?
そして、彼らが守り抜いたものとは、何だったでしょうか?
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Re: Save my monitor! T_T

Post by ainsoph9 »

Would I correct in assuming that it was working last when you put it away? When you stored it, did it have anything heavy or highly magnetic near it? Have you checked your drivers? Have you run a virus scan? Is it at least somewhat readable so that you can do things on it? I ask these questions so that it will be easier to pinpoint the exact problem.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

If you can't solve it by adjusting the colors, it's probably unfixable. You might try dropping it from about 4 feet up. That worked for a TV of mine once.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Beware the talking cat wrote:If you can't solve it by adjusting the colors, it's probably unfixable. You might try dropping it from about 4 feet up. That worked for a TV of mine once.
4 feets o_O? are you serious? you are asking him to break his computer.

baka baka baka
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Post by Nerevarine »

yeah you break it, and then use the warranty to get a new one.

you did get the warranty right?.....
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Isnt the waranty gone after 2 years?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

b0mb3r wrote:
Beware the talking cat wrote:If you can't solve it by adjusting the colors, it's probably unfixable. You might try dropping it from about 4 feet up. That worked for a TV of mine once.
4 feets o_O? are you serious? you are asking him to break his computer.
Ooops. I didn't notice it was a laptop; I was thinking it was a seperate monitor malfunctioning.

In that case, your options become:
1. Hook up another monitor and use it like a desktop
2. See if you can find a replacement monitor online
3. Try dropping it from about 4 feet up
4. You did try adjusting the colors, right?
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Post by Nerevarine »

mine is 3 years
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

dragonst wrote:I just got back from overseas and my monitor just went crazy on me T_T The colours are distorted, and anything that's supposed to be white is now pink. I'm using a HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop. Core 2 Duo 2.00 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, Nvidia Geforce 8400 (if I remember correctly), and running windows vista home premium. I've been using this laptop for 2 and a half years already.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
I think I've been seeing a rush of people with these kinds of problems lately and... as I read through your laptop's specs...
Nvidia Geforce 8400 (if I remember correctly)
... it seems that the graphics' is at fault, of course. But AFAIK NVIDIA has been problematic on that regard (the Geforce 8M series chips).

Since BTTC has already stated some steps to help and if it doesn't work, I suggest you look it up with the retailer/manufacturer which provided you your laptop.
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

lol i don't even know if my laptop has a warranty or not

baka baka baka
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

My last had also 3 years (which I even had to use after the first two years two times), but my new one has only two years, a HP Pavilion...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

hmmm... i used to have this problem on an old crt monitor, picture used to come out pink until i figured out it was the VGA plug, one of the pin connectors was loose. sounds to me that it might be the case.

Three years is definitely out of warranty. too bad you aren't in the U.K., if it's the first claim for warranty and under five years, you can still claim it from manufacturers.

It falls under our consumer rights bill. looked it.
Claimed warranty on a 4yr old samsung hard drive I got cheap off ebay based off that.

yay for British ambiguous legal text, not bad for a country without any written "constitution" heh?

:)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Which is why some random bugger can come take over the country without it being "unconstitutional," right? :P
dragonst
Project Translator

Post by dragonst »

I did try to adjust the colours but it didn't work, so I just hooked it onto one of my plasma tvs. Which means that I have to be like 5 metres away from the screen to be able to see my monitor properly lol. My laptop went through the luggage scanning machine at the airport, but I don't think that's the cause of the problem cos I've sent it through the machine numerous times and nothing happened. Thanks for the suggestions guys! (and no, I did not drop it from 4 feet up, in case you were wondering)
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
誰にも知られることなく、散っていく命がありました。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
明日さえも見えない絶望の中で、今日を生きる権利すら奪われた戦士たち。
守るべき祖国から捨てられ、戦争の大義も、勝利の栄光も、自らの名前さえも奪われた戦士たち。
そして、理想を追い求め、自らの手を血に染める戦士たち。
戦場という絶望の中で、彼らが見た希望とは何だったのでしょうか?
そして、彼らが守り抜いたものとは、何だったでしょうか?
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

dragonst wrote:I did try to adjust the colours but it didn't work, so I just hooked it onto one of my plasma tvs. Which means that I have to be like 5 metres away from the screen to be able to see my monitor properly lol. My laptop went through the luggage scanning machine at the airport, but I don't think that's the cause of the problem cos I've sent it through the machine numerous times and nothing happened. Thanks for the suggestions guys! (and no, I did not drop it from 4 feet up, in case you were wondering)
Then I suppose it really is an LCD problem on your laptop. Repairs can be done if you send it to be fixed, but I guess it'll be somehow costly :/
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.

Return to “Games & Computing”