an EPIC Japanese Learning RPG - Development

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

If this game were created I would...

Play it everyday until I became Japanese.
63%
Play it occasionally, because it seems fun.
34%
Say it seems fun, but I would not play it.
1%
Say it Sucks, and you should get a life.
1%
What is an RPG?
1%

Total votes: 167

Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: an EPIC Japanese Learning RPG - Development

Post by Rajikai »

I don't think you need any programming knowledge for it. You can easily find guides on Google searches, and it basically just enhances the game.
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Rajikai wrote:I don't think you need any programming knowledge for it. You can easily find guides on Google searches, and it basically just enhances the game.
"Programmer" is a catch all term for: The person making the game.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Rather, a programmer is someone who codes. If they don't code the game from scratch, then they aren't the programmer. Rather, the program will be the programmer, and the Person would only be the creator.
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Rajikai wrote:Rather, a programmer is someone who codes. If they don't code the game from scratch, then they aren't the programmer. Rather, the program will be the programmer, and the Person would only be the creator.
Yes, yes, but in the context of the first post, "Programmer" is considered the person who works on technical aspects.
Krikit wrote:
EDIT: I'm pretty much looking for a team of people able to split the work between us. Programmer, Graphic Artist, Music Creator, etc. The storyline, scripts, and the Japanese lessons and content will come from me, with feedback and communication, brainstorming between the team members.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

I don't mind working on storyline... But don't know if I would be much of a help...

I guess... If we go according to the first post.
1,550/3,400
Hayate
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hayate »

i think its a cool way to learn Japanese
i think u should put small hiragana word on top of the kanji to make it easier to read, like an elementary level books i used
and u can make an option in the setting to enable or not
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

That seems Interesting that way. In the beginning, a question should be asked. Beginner (No Knowledge), Intermediate (Knows some hirgana and Katana), Basic (knows hirgana and Katana), Advance (Knows Kana and kanji)

And that could be default in the beginning of basic. And slowly fades with the Kanji that was shown 100 times... lol
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Its a topic of debate really. Id say we release each level of difficulty as a different game. Two reasons for this.

1.) Smaller Load on game deisgners (One big game is ridiculously hard for a language that requires 100 hrs of study just for JPLT 1 and assuming it goes beyond that would require a game on par with Skyrim at that point.)

2.) Players dont inadvertently get forced into a higher level before they are ready.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

It does make sense. But it seems that the one who wants to create this is leaning towards Kanji. So those like me who do not even understand Kana will fail utterly. If it were me (to lazy to do it.. Maybe) I would make it sequels as you mention. The storyline will be awesome where they want to play the next game, and as the sequel comes out, you are expected to have much more knowledge.

Ex: Japanese Fables Part 1 >> Kana
Japanese Fables Part 2 >> Kanji
Japanese Fables Part 3 >> Full knowledge. (everything is in japanese)

Got the idea from back to the future lol
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Actually, I have an idea for a story line as well, but it would be alot like ZnT lol. Only difference is that Void Magic is now Japanese... and if I ever fond a way to fix the game mechanics this is how I think that the game will be fun yet challenging the player.

My Game Mechanics Idea would focus on the learning while giving the player a reason to go on. Think of it this way. To defeat this boss you need a certain skill. Now most people would grind to learn that skill. How about if monsters didnt give XP but it would be NPCs teaching the player japanese kanji/kana/grammar. I would expect that random NPCs would give out amounts of XP while Certain Teachers will let someone learn certain skills. So an example below

Code: Select all

Monster A is immune to "Hiragana Strike"! 
Player has escaped fight!

Text: Oh you cant beat Monster A?  Here let me teach you a skill.  However you need to pass my test.
Question: Fill in the blank わたし__ おとこのこだ。
Answer A: に
Answer B: の
Answer C: は
Answer D: I dont know.
If he doesnt know the player has to study topic particles. If he does then the player will earn a skill that defeats the monster.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

That would be nice. And instead of being the dragon that is summoned, how about being the student. That way, once you progress far enough, you can summon a dragon of your own, whereas, to use certain techniques, you have to place X kanji. Or what not... Btw, I'm not thinking about the automatic fighting system. More like a fast paced one... But I'm not developing anything. So I'll just stand for support
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Just saying Im not saying a total change of a battle system here. Battle Systems are notoriusly hard to program I think and just leaving it the same while making the training unique might work easier rather than overhauling a new battle system.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

That might be true, but if the creators plan to make sequels, it would be great to add new features like the battle system. :P Also a code that allows you to transfer your character from the first series to the next... Lol I know that part is not possible... So.. WHen the one in charge of this comes on... I would like to ask if we will have a mIRC or a chat room (via msn or such), to discuss this between the people who will be developing it. Or will it just be the one person...
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Rajikai wrote:That might be true, but if the creators plan to make sequels, it would be great to add new features like the battle system. :P Also a code that allows you to transfer your character from the first series to the next... Lol I know that part is not possible... So.. WHen the one in charge of this comes on... I would like to ask if we will have a mIRC or a chat room (via msn or such), to discuss this between the people who will be developing it. Or will it just be the one person...
He requested a team, however, I haven't tinkered in Wolf RPG and I dont have enough japanese knowledge to probably understand it because it is natively in japanese.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

To bad we can't use rpgmaker lol. Anyways, It seems the wolfrpg editor is overall better, and the sad part is that the creator is creating an english version...
1,550/3,400

Return to “Games & Computing”