an EPIC Japanese Learning RPG - Development

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

If this game were created I would...

Play it everyday until I became Japanese.
63%
Play it occasionally, because it seems fun.
34%
Say it seems fun, but I would not play it.
1%
Say it Sucks, and you should get a life.
1%
What is an RPG?
1%

Total votes: 167

Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: an EPIC Japanese Learning RPG - Development

Post by Rajikai »

Poke2201 wrote:Alright, heres Version .001 of the game XD. Its just a test run. Btw Dont lie.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8tbx5p7n5t3rko5

Also, search RPG maker RTP because it shrinks my file sizes down.
What do you mean by shrinks my file sizes down?

Also I Just downloaded it... I think it's good for the starting point. I think you might need to stop the loop. If you want to know how to do that, go ahead and ask me...
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Meh. Its just a test run of everything. I need Kirikit to contact me somehow soon lol.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

sorry, I've been away away...new job, and preparing for the june 2012 EJU exams has kept my hands pretty well tied...

This may seem like a while off, but I probobly won't be able to do much of anything until after the exams. (June 17th). After that, I don't have to take as much time to study, and should have a freer schedule.
but for the moment...geck (>_<)
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Take your time ^^
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Take your time ^^
Agreed. If it's Epic, it should take a while.
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Kirikit, you might want to email me the story so I can work on it during my off time. I apparently have a lot these days...
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Aha! I refound it, this game, I have yet to try it out, but I dunno, seems to be almost the same thing wanted here, although I will obviously be partial to Krikit's, but, still. It exists.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Oh, looks interesting. Downloaded it.. The problem will be playing it.
1,550/3,400
Penwynn
Astral Realm

Post by Penwynn »

This game sounds like an interesting idea! A couple questions and suggestions:

1. Is the goal to teach a player how to read/write in Japanese or to allow someone to hold a conversation? Or both?
2. Have you considered using C#/XNA? It's totally free, pretty easy to learn, and provides you with a LOT more flexibility.

I am working on developing an indie game myself and had 0 background when it comes to programming (besides self taught stuff from playing with excel and access). I bought the Dummies Guide to C# and picked it up pretty fast.

It will also help you with distribution since it's compatible with XBox, Wondows, and (i believe) PS3 will be adding this as well.

I look forward to playing your game. Best of luck!
Araragi Koyomi Vamp.
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Araragi Koyomi Vamp. »

Its really interesting...

and japanese, english, chinese, and many-many language...
make to rpg game....
royaloyalz
Project Editor

Post by royaloyalz »

Hohohoho if this were to become something that exist in reality I would call it a godsend hahahahaha!

Think about it, if someone enjoys doing something, naturally they will learn more about it and at a faster pace. If studying was actually fun, I'm sure most of us would be model students by now heh.
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Well, I have been extremely busy with other things, so I've never really gotten around to working on this...right now it is still all just conceptual.

However, today I came across this amazing Minecraft MOD, for Japanese text support...
It gave me a crazy idea, and I just couldn't help putting together some screens for a possible game concept....

What do you guys think?

Here is my youtube link:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=466_vbJ35hc[/youtube]

Here is a youtube link for a guy that did some scripting for Quests and dialogues/etc, that looks like it could be implemented...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syNRRwd9uhg
Wasp
Astral Realm

Post by Wasp »

Hey, just looking around and saw this. would like to say that, although i havent been able to get the files on mediafire (it says there all removed), it sounds extremely good and interesting. im not particularly skilled at anything, although im learning how to program (slowly), working on my drawing skills (they are actually recognisable as people now, lol), and am trying to learn japanese in my spare time. not really succeding too much on the learning japanese, but i know a few people who are pretty good artists, especially when they set their mind to things, and i also had a few game ideas about the whole project. Mainly about the learning curve that everyone seems to be confused about what to do when splitting into volumes and stuff.

ah well, here goes my ideas for the difficulty curve:
Why not make a game in english, and then a second version of the same game in japanese. i know that sounds really stupid, but please hear me out and think about it. what i mean is, first volume of the game you learn all of the sounds for talking japanese, and you learn what words are said like in japanese using the english langguage to read from. maybe if you get the words to the questions right, you can hear afterwards how it would be said in japanese so you learn the language. and example is, when your talking to people they would ask you a question in japanese, but written in english, and you have to respond to them like "boku wa...", like that. in this volume you'de learn what words mean in japanese, and how they are pronounced and spoken.

the second version would have the same storyline so no real changes are neaded in that aspect of things (hopefully, this depends on finding a program with multi-lingual capabilitysand the ability to program in one language and have the responses that show up appear in another, but everythings in full japanese and you'de have a sort of "cheat sheet" that you print out and it shows the japanese letters next to their associated sounds, and for people to learn the language and written side of japanese they would have to use that sheet paired with their own knowledge of what the word means to understand whats being said, and to reply thay would have to re-translate the sounds that they know would make the answer into japanese writing and reply like that, so they can start to accosiate individual sounds with japanese script. This method would have people learn in over the space of both volumes, and learn both how to speak and write/read in japanese.

I came up with this method thinking that for people like me who know virtually no japanese it could be one of the most efficient learning methods. Also, if people are into Anime and all that, which i dont doubt allot of people who visit this page are, they can learn slightly how to speak sentences from it, as well as a lot of general words. I know that allot of people say that watchingg Anime is nothing like the actual language in typical speaking, but its undeniable that when watching in japanese with subs, if you see and hear words used in many different contexts you do learn the general meaning of the said word.

Oh, and another good thing about this method is that if we can make it as long as possible story-wise without making it boring, it would work to our advantage as people would forget about the actual question particulars by the time they do the second playthrough on version 2. I also agree with the idea of making a few volumes or "chapters" to seperate parts of the story, as that lets you feel like your getting somewhere with the project which helps you feel motivated and youll get a lot more done if your motivated, just like the whole point of making the game to make it easier to motivate people trying to learn. It will also help people keep up with where thay are in the story, and if you wanted you could make later volumes delve into specific categorys.

I cant say im too exited about the battle side of the project, as it may get rather boring to older players, but i cant honestly say i can think of any better without decreasing the learning ability by a drastic amount, which kind of defeats the purpose. maybe the battles could be with actual moves, not just elements oppisite of the monsters element, because that system would kind of limit how far you can go in terms of learning from the monsters, as you can only learn certain elements and others wouldnt make sense as the monsters "element".

As for walking around and game environment, i reckon graphics similar to those of the pokemon games would suffice. just using small sprites would probably be alright if you made it all run smoothly. after all, as an unproffesional project i think we are definitley allowed to have weaker side of the game if we have strong enough points in other areas of the game, and the stronger sides that we would want would probably be the Learning of the program and its ability to keep people interested, so not having an amazing, full graphic 3D map movement system would seem like a more than reasonable trade off. we could even use map sprites that other people have made to decrease allot of the workload.

If you like the idea's or you think i can help in any way (im willing to try my best :) ), please email me at "[email protected]".
I have just started yr 12 in Aus, and am in allot of the top classes so i cant garantee any definite, constant support, but during certain weeks i do have allot of free time on my hands and would love to be able to be part of the project in any way possible :D
Wow, i wrote allot more than i expected lol

Return to “Games & Computing”