an EPIC Japanese Learning RPG - Development

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

If this game were created I would...

Play it everyday until I became Japanese.
63%
Play it occasionally, because it seems fun.
34%
Say it seems fun, but I would not play it.
1%
Say it Sucks, and you should get a life.
1%
What is an RPG?
1%

Total votes: 167

Itwao
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: an EPIC Japanese Learning RPG - Development

Post by Itwao »

what if instead of teaching EVERYTHING in one game, would it be possible to section it into multiple games? ultimately, itd be more work, but sectioning it would show that somethings getting done (i know if i work for 3 months, and see no solid results, i tend to give up.) also, youd get feedback on what does and doesnt work, how well it actually teaches and possibly other things my distracted mind cant think of at the moment.

as for design, what exactly would be wanted? detailed, like they belong in the next world of warcraft? simpler more like anime/manga design? or epicness like the original mario brothers 8-bit designs? also, what format would the designs need to be in? im a bit of an amateur artist, and also have some knowledge with photoshop/illustrator.
Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hazue »

of course if possible, we would want it to be 3D. but that will be very difficult given to our manpower now. so maybe start within 8 bit
Currently addicted to Acchi Kocchi's manga translation. Sorry BT, for not translating the novel I had registered :(
Poke2201
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Poke2201 »

If we split it up into different games that would be good. However, its storyline that usually makes or breaks games. So how would a learner start? Are we going to teach through the JPLT kanji (5 games, each one will make each person master what it takes to pass JLPT) or are we going to make it through grade level learning (9 ish games each one teaching what a japanese student would learn) or are we going to make it 3 games where we have a beginner/intermediate/advanced?

For myself I would prefer the JLPT method as it gives us guidelines and makes it easier than say dealing with 12 games or 3 games where we'd have to guess what to put in or not. At the same time, we must teach grammar. Japanese grammar is important. We can't just focus on kanji/hira/kata. There needs to be a grammar component in there. Without it, you leave a person knowing everything but unable to use it properly.

Also how would we program our battle sequences? Choose an answer or type it in?
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Well everyone, it's been a really long time since I've posted...what with the new job and all. That's right! Starting Jan. 9th, I'm a bon-u-fried employee of some company...

Anyway, as for the RPG game development, I've just started, and was wondering about some possible feedback on the design so far. As for storyline, battles scenes, graphics and more, it's really in the baby stages, but I'm using a program called Wolf RPG Editor to do it, and it is a fairy cool program, just all in Japanse, :twisted:

Anyway, I have the first preview out on mediafire, and you can download it at the following link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?rrqqbs6hqdlr355

It is in a .zip format, and inside is a standalone executable, meaning you don't have to install the game to play it. You just run it.

I've named it Maigo - Dragons Nest, and have a working concept, but just check it and see what you think.

Please, any and all feedback is warmly welcomed. I hope this gets more interest, and it can become a fun learning tool for many people.

Key Commands:
Space/Enter is your selection/Action key.
Esc will bring up your menu screen, or cancel text if you are talking with someone/thing.
F4 will maximize your screen, and I recommend it.

Also, the game should work without any Japanese fonts, because I'm using just regular pictures to display the fonts. I tried fonts and texts, and even with AppLocale couldn't get the Japanese text to show up on an English OS machine. Vista or 7.

So, let me know what you think!
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Before downloading it, is there the need to know some Japanese basics?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Well, I was planning on the fact that whoever downloads it knows basic Hiragana and Katakana.

But that is it. It's really not that great an example of how the game-play and learning will go, it's more of a test test to show how the look and feel will be.
stellarroze
Senior Project Translator

Post by stellarroze »

My only complaint is that it was too short. Otherwise it was pretty good. Maybe use furigana if it's possible with the kanji.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Maybe you should have a tutorial mode, which forces the person to learn Hirgana/Katakana. Of course before you begin, it will ask you, "Do you want to Learn the Basics at Tutorial Mode?"
For me, I don't know any ...

Or maybe make it something similar to Knuckles in Chinaland.

Also, when given the three choices, I think it would be better to make variantions rather then the complete statement. Example "I am a Dog" Instead of doing
I am a cat
You are a dog
I am a dog

It would be better do something like this.

First Question:
I
You
Me
We

Second Question
Are
Am
Is

Third
A
b
c

Fourth
Cat
BIrd
Killer
Dog

Overall it's your game, so your choice.

Your idea Seems Interesting. I look forward to the second demo...
1,550/3,400
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

I certainly enjoyed what was in the demo.....

As for what I think it could become overall? It would be excellent.
How long it will take to get there? Forever.

Also, maybe get the most basic of Kanji out of the way first? Have one sign teach people that "I" = わたし or あたし = 私

Something like that.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

I wonder if you guys know about the RPG game Knuckles in Chinaland?
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

I've played it. Its not good because it punishes you extremely hard for doing something most people do when they learn: Getting the wrong answer. While one should be always getting the right answers, you want it to be fun too, not a frustration fest.

UPDATE: The game seems good actually. Though you might want to get a team together who will help you with making of the game. While you may assume people know kata/hira you might want to do a little minigame to get people started. So like in your beginning town, we have a man who will give you money and some gear to get started if you can recite all of the kata. Then there will be another person who will prevent you from leaving to make sure you know all your hira. While it maybe a bit annoying, at least when they leave they know what they are doing.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

maybe thats why i stopped playing it... But its still an interesting method...
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Which is why I'm pretty much investing most of my little forum time now to helping this get going. I wish I could spend more but I have a life outside of BT lol.

EDIT: Reading the first post again... :roll: I think I can help with programming. I'm going to try and create a demo using RPG Maker VX by Enterbrain (English :lol: )
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Rpg maker... makes me remember of the old days. no programming really needed for that...
1,550/3,400
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Rajikai wrote:Rpg maker... makes me remember of the old days. no programming really needed for that...
Nothing like C, or Java, Python. But still some programming. Especially battle sequences.

Return to “Games & Computing”