Visual Novels

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Visual Novels

Post by hobogunner »

Cosmic Eagle wrote:The script is there on the project page....
...and this is how I know I need sleep. :lol:

I'll play through the game sometime this weekend....or at the end of the semester, whichever comes first. :roll:
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by shichinanatsu »

@hocchan: who's the one who said losing sleep over (a good cause known as playing/translating) eroge doesnt matter?? :lol:

wa2's scripts look what, i don't know, more user-friendly?? compared to Clannad's and Tomoyo After's.. game engine differences maybe? :?

natsu no ame marathon:
Spoiler! :
Rikako route:
FINALLY, a protagonist with a face (particularly during h-scenes).. it justly serves the purpose of a VN being a story about fictional people, not something about fictional heroines with a cookie-cutter protag the player is doomed to somehow supplant/become..
Misa route:
i think my upper threshold for sugar tolerance just skyrocketed.. didn't think sousuke and misa would be that much of an idiot-couple :mrgreen: ..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

:s

this one seems to have seeds http://pastie.org/3810859

@shichinanatsu, that's only because I wasn't there in the earlier projects :P
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

shichinanatsu wrote:@hocchan: who's the one who said losing sleep over (a good cause known as playing/translating) eroge doesnt matter?? :lol:

wa2's scripts look what, i don't know, more user-friendly?? compared to Clannad's and Tomoyo After's.. game engine differences maybe? :?
Sadly, I was doing neither.....I just couldn't fall asleep after (stupidly) going to the gym.....
jonathanasdf wrote::s

this one seems to have seeds http://pastie.org

@shichinanatsu, that's only because I wasn't there in the earlier projects :P
I'll look at it when I get home.....

Any idea about .noa or .dat archive files?

From what I've figured out, .noa is insane, and .dat just needs a specific check converter which I'll attempt to work through. :?

(also, I guess HTML doesn't like being quoted....)
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

shichinanatsu wrote:

Huh...?

School is really inconducive to translating....given how the entire class constantly moves as a group during lunch breaks meaning I have to constantly deploy and un-deploy my laptop...They never sit still in one place and I can't break away from them even if they are a bunch of idiots as maintaining social contacts is important...sigh...

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

.. its kinda annoying not to be able to do 100% attention on ONE vn - so much distractions, like Hello,good-bye.. grandiose premise and all that, but i guess i fell victim to the OP vid. DL version's all of 1280x720 awesomeness FTW 8)

natsu no ame marathon, v2:
Spoiler! :
FINALLY, cleared rikako arc 8)

personally its my first title that actually had a proper denouement-conclusion, rather than the quick wrap-up typical to VNs. it does take some getting used to, or maybe its just a problem with me being new to the story's choice of pacing - some might even think the ending was dragged, but hey, all's well that ends well. 8)

the 2nd title since clannad that earned my manly tears.. :cry: because its the kind of story that lures you into thinking that somewhere in time and space, a half-sibling couple like sousuke and rikako exists.. dealing away with the Westermarck effect was also done tastefully, but surprisingly the bulk of the drama is driven by the relationships between the dad and mothers to sousuke and rikako. (yes, family and parents are CENTRAL to this title, you have been warned :wink: )

only con to the title was pretty much the insufficient dev't of protag-heroine relationship leading up to the 1st h-scene (except in misa arc); in midori arc it literally came from nowhere.. :?

let's see if the other taboo measures up, time for the teacher-student idiot couple.. 8)
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

So, we're looking into this now.
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

as in translating? That one says "Long 30-50 hours" ....... but then again since it's an RPG, I don't know if their estimates is just pure dialogue time or full gameplay time. Maybe the things you need to translate is actually short.
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

trying translating http://vndb.org/v3066 (Daiteikoku, aka that LoliHitler game) instead if you're the alicesoft fan :D

Oh wait, there's already a TL project for that one going xD

Galzoo Island's text shouldn't be bad since its one of those low-story dungeon crawler games. Will need a lot of interface hacking though, I think.

Also, Hi, I just discovered this thread.

I used to be a Key fan, then Sharin no Kuni + G-Senjou turned me into an AKB2 fan~
Also a QuinRose fan (yes it's an Otome Game maker), and wishes they get some better artists (:3)
Daybreak Project
"You crazy b@stard! I'm gonna treat you like shit until you reveal your true form!!!"
"NO WAY. Over my dead, resurrected and killed again body." -- Kadi, when given a proposal about leaving [Miko-moe] 'as is' in TL.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

major edit: about time i cleaned up my mess.. DC3 100% completion!!! 8) :lol: :mrgreen:
Spoiler! :
right after clearing the first 4 heroines (rikka, charles, himeno, sara), i got the feeling that they raised more questions than answers, mainly to the point of how dc3 leads to dc1. but in the end - after clearing zero (aoi arc) and leading up to "da capo" arc, things cleared up quite nicely with how sakura said her existence is but one of many possible futures (many-worlds interpretation, a.k.a. rikka end where she and kiyotaka end up being sakura's grandparents.) the lack of H is also done beautifully, or maybe i should say dc3 was crafted without the need for H. given how the crisis was successfully averted the final moments separating april 30 and may 1 of 2051, circus gave themselves a wonderful excuse for giving all 5 heroines H-inclusive after stories. 8) anyway, i'll be waiting, whether it be 2013, 2014, or beyond.

as for other heroines (in circus' "plus communication" tradition), i'd guess its safe to expect the number doubled, possibly 1-2 in excess. that allows for tomoe and mary, and by a very long shot, elizabeth. (i wouldn't mind though, more like YEAH, give me a Headmaster/Queen route :mrgreen: )i'm not so sure as before about mikoto since she doesn't show up in kazamidori, nor with shiki and rurika due to their respective servant-master dynamics with kousuke and ian. edward is, well, edward.. i guess i now understand all the hype with BakaTest's hideyoshi and Happiness!' watarase jun.. :?

speaking of kousuke and ian, the latter actually made for better laughs than the former well into the arcs. though, as testament to how rotten i've become all these years, i'm beginning to expect actual doujin/s of kiyotaka X ian yaoi sometime this summer comiket.. :?

so yeah, for final words, here's a time capsule:
1. DC3 Plus Communication - set in kazamidori, london. might be the same premise as dc3, in which case still 15+ but with more heroines. or it might pick up from "da capo" ending, in which case the conflict is resolved, time and date reset to november 1 1950, and all you have left is a regular school romance with more heroines. likely to be 18+.

2. DC3 sequel/after stories - kazamidori, london. in the event that dc3 plus comm is 15+ dc3 with more heroines, this one will pick up after may 1 1951. obviously after stories of the heroines, likelier than not to be 18+, and carries quite the chance of bearing plot to connect dc3 to dc1.

3. DC3 prequel - kazamidori, london. ought to start sometime september 1950, around the time kiyotaka and himeno were admitted to said academy. possibly 15+.

4. DC3 alternate - 2072 hatsunejima. might be another take on the after stories as suggested in "da capo" ending, but likelier to be a fun release instead, i.e. all the cast of kazamidori get ported to hatsunejima. kinda like DC Dream Xmas.
and just about time, almost one week's worth of acquired sleep debt's close to my max threshold.. zzz
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

ben1234 wrote:I wish this one got enough publicity for a translation but it's been out for 9 years and I really doubt you could even find a copy of it nowlet alone a download link
hobogunner wrote:@Ben: I searched my usual spots and couldn't find it, sadly. :?
YoakeNoHikari wrote:As for clover heart's, I found a link and am checking its viability. I also found the complete soundtrack to it. I'm unsure as to whether it can still be downloaded though : / Which is the thing about P2P.
I'm happy because I managed to find a working link for it. Anyone interested in it (pm me for the link)?
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Anyone here plays Liar Soft's Steampunk series?

http://www.steampunkseries.com/

For anyone wondering it is

Souten no Celenaria, Sekien no Inganock, Shikkoku no Sharnoth, Hikari no Valusia and Shiei no Sona-Nyl

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Aegis-
Kyonist

Post by Aegis- »

Ah the joys, and rages, of Visual Novels.

I remember going through Little Busters! for the first time and ended up in Kud's arc. Loved the game to death, especially the small mini-games (especially the baseball practice one). Could never win in most, though. Also, going through that arc had made me ragequit so hard at one of the endings I saw that, even though it was 3am, I had to leave my house and drive around and then walk to cool my head. I was about ready to tear the table I had right off its hinges and smash my computer. It was bad. xD But that ending was just HORRIBLE. And I mean that in the saddest way possible! I mean, the way it ended was WTF terabad and made me feel so horrible for a while.

And this is why I continue to love Visual KEY games. xD

Also, to this day, I still can't completely get through Muv-Luv Alternative. @.@ By far the best VN I've ever played, which isn't saying much considering I've only properly played about a dozen games or so. But my god, I've never had a game mentally f**k me up that bad before. x.x After a certain part in the game, I literally couldn't go to sleep at night for almost two weeks and would wait for the sun to come up before crashing. Thankfully since I have night classes, that didn't bother me. I swear, that MC catches SOOO MUCH crap it's not even funny. But one day I HAVE TO finish it. I know I'm towards the end, but I just can't get myself to finish my first run through it.

Either way, that's what can be fun about VN's....especially if one doesn't research the game beforehand and look at the proper tags and genre of the game. I can handle some types of guro but due to the way I think, I can't expose myself to it too much. Which makes for interesting reactions during certain delusional scenes in ChaoS;HEAd.

Also, hia all. ^_^
Ideals are for people who want to change their own future.
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

VN writers have a startling tendency to put their characters through the worst hells....Muv Luv is not the only one nor is it the worst.

it's like cruel and unusual treatment or something...

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I think it is a good question to ask why VN makers like to write their characters into a hole in the ground filled with molten lava. Personally, I do not have an answer to that one, but it seems to almost be like some kind of sadistic streak. Perhaps, it is the way that the writer vents? Are they actually trying to make a legitimate point in as shocking of a way as possible? Maybe it is their idea of "art?" Could it be that they realize that the characters have to be broken in order to do the things they do? Again, I do not know. Maybe someone with more experience in VNs could answer this one.

On another note, I beat Christine Love's "Heart of Fire" and am in the middle of "Cell Phone Love Letter." They are okay, but they are not as good as her "Digital: A Love Story" and "Analogue: A Hate Story."

Return to “Games & Computing”