Visual Novels

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Visual Novels

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Why 4?

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
loliDragon
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by loliDragon »

Cosmic Eagle wrote:Why 4?
Atlas, Google translate and I think I used some other two as well... no so sure atm.
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Ehh...why so many?

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Cosmic Eagle wrote:Ehh...why so many?
I guess it's to get the gist of what is being said. :P The more translations you have at hand, the higher the chance that one of them gets it partly right, and you can combine the results to make it somewhat comprehensible. /me has done the same thing before learning Japanese.

At the moment, I'm reading 終わる世界とバースデイ and J.Q.V人類救済部~, apart from the approximately twenty other VNs I have started and never finished. Both are about the end of the world, but very different. The former has got too much moé for my taste, but at least there's that kick-ass OP. Speaking of which, I should finally continue playing Subahibi... damn, my backlog...
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Are they good?

Anyways, speaking of good openings:
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Are they good?
I haven't really played enough to judge, but Owaru Sekai to Birthday has some nice concepts. Just, it kinda feels like your average VN. As for J.Q.V: it's just plain weird. :D I mean, it starts with the protagonist jerking off completely naked on the ceiling of his house to cloud formations.
loliDragon
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by loliDragon »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:I guess it's to get the gist of what is being said. :P The more translations you have at hand, the higher the chance that one of them gets it partly right, and you can combine the results to make it somewhat comprehensible. /me has done the same thing before learning Japanese.
Exactly right, however I can assure you that the translation is still pretty bad and it takes several times more then if you read it in full English.... So I gave up on that method.
YoakeNoHikari wrote: Anyways, speaking of good openings:
OST from ARIA was really good, not sure about the game on PS2, but I liked the anime. Which reminds me, I still did not watch the OVA :)
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Anyone here playing Tokyo Babel?

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
Yuu
Astral Realm

Post by Yuu »

Played the first route, Razael is just so cute....
Has no H schemes but that is to be expected, with a cast of famous seiyuus and all.
It seams every route has it's own story and the order being Razael-Sorami-Lilith.
Just need to get over my inability to see Sorami as a possible love interest...
There are some point I found weird, like the fact that they live/are a school, c'mon the world is ending and the first thing angel an demon make together is a school....
Great VN with a lot of action, a likable MC, a good Rival and Razael....
Greatly recommended.
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

Yes...I play purely for Raziel.

Well it's more like the point of Pandora being to gather enough people to try and gain access to Heaven again than a school.....

Anyway

Ourai no N'gah K'thun out on 21st Dec

http://www.liar.co.jp/guac_top.html

Sona-Nyl PSP port also on the way

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

@Cosmic: i guess Micchi-dono and Zen-dono are just critical with chuuni themes to talk about Tokyo Babel quite negatively.. but if i remember correctly its sales weren't so well jap-side either..

i have a probably weird question..

how do most non-japs speakers play/read their VNs? TL group patches, machine TLs like ATLAS, official TLs (Mangagamer), or raw?
Spoiler! :
i remember starting with Mangagamer's Shuffle! and DC1 some 4-5 years ago.. clearing them once each, i distinctly recall not being content with how i understood the story, so i jumped off a cliff... and got a hold of said titles raw. coupling that with raw Clannad while reading the TL project hosted in B-T, i guess i never looked back.. 8)

while i'm still far away from matching my English reading speed (any title by John Grisham/John Nance = no more than 6h), i've managed a top speed of 1 title per month, absolutely raw.. (DC3 back in may, Imouto no Katachi this september)
that aside, anyone else here who's interested in Alcot Honey Comb's upcoming title? back-to-back with Studio Ryokucha's IwaOu, plain romantic comedy is a good year-ender 8)
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

http://products.web-giga.com/mbi/index.html

And for some reason I have the feeling it's going to be 80x better than the original.

Also, Baldr Sky Zero, but Team Baldrhead isn't producing it (and Kikuchi-sensei isn't drawing it.) I don't really have much hopes for this, but I hope it isn't bad.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

phew.. it hasn't been 2 weeks since but it felt like a glimpse of eternity before i got around to clearing august's latest title.. :roll:
Spoiler! :
story likely won't bring home any awards, it being practically a chara-ge with SHORT arcs for 3 sub-heroines, 1 main and 1 "alternate" arc for each of the 4 main heroines, and Nagi's True End. that being said, the best writing just so happens to belong to a "hidden" character, hitsujikai/shepherd no. 771, a.k.a. NANAI, which for obvious reasons is featured only in the True End, which can either branch into the "alternate arcs" for tsugumi, tamamo, senri, and kana, or Nagi's end.

gameplay-wise it has one of the better systems i've seen, probably even the best so far, though i've seen similarities in the trial ver. of Cosmic Cute's LOVESICK PUPPIES, so i'm guessing most features will gradually become mainstream.. other than that, being able to skip to the next decision point would have been GREATLY appreciated, since the common routes are quite lengthy.
(first common route splits into:
Tsugumi-maho
Tamamo
Senri-miyu
Kana-sayumi
TRUE)

(TRUE is the second common route which splits into:
Tsugumi alt
Tamamo alt
Senri alt
Kana alt
NAGI)
btw.. can anyone recommend titles with writing style similar to that of Konno Asuta's?? (authored Natsu no Ame and KonoSora).. 8)
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

shichinanatsu wrote:@Cosmic: i guess Micchi-dono and Zen-dono are just critical with chuuni themes to talk about Tokyo Babel quite negatively.. but if i remember correctly its sales weren't so well jap-side either..

i have a probably weird question..

how do most non-japs speakers play/read their VNs? TL group patches, machine TLs like ATLAS, official TLs (Mangagamer), or raw?
Spoiler! :
i remember starting with Mangagamer's Shuffle! and DC1 some 4-5 years ago.. clearing them once each, i distinctly recall not being content with how i understood the story, so i jumped off a cliff... and got a hold of said titles raw. coupling that with raw Clannad while reading the TL project hosted in B-T, i guess i never looked back.. 8)

while i'm still far away from matching my English reading speed (any title by John Grisham/John Nance = no more than 6h), i've managed a top speed of 1 title per month, absolutely raw.. (DC3 back in may, Imouto no Katachi this september)
that aside, anyone else here who's interested in Alcot Honey Comb's upcoming title? back-to-back with Studio Ryokucha's IwaOu, plain romantic comedy is a good year-ender 8)
Raw....I never used translations except for Zanma Taisei Demonbane...and even then that was because the original died when I wanted to replay it and reinstalling was proving too troublesome.

No one TLs the kind of stuff I play anyway. Or rather it's too time consuming for them to do so

Anyway....Ourai certainly has to be the game of winter 2012. Gods, Sakurai....that dosage of chuunibyou you just injected into your writing is so long needed

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

My Girlfriend Is An Alpaca can be bought here in English. It is also known as "Pacaplus."
Story

-- One day when I woke up, my girlfriend had turned into an alpaca!!

The main character, Saeki Kazuma, had a wonderful school life surrounded by many friends and his girlfriend.

One day at this time, in the bus on the way back from "Alpaca Kingdom" with his girlfriend, Izumi Yukari,
he just woke up and found that there was some lovely thing next to him...

" What a .....!!!!!????"

Instead of Yukari sitting next to his bus seat was a fluffy alpaca.

" What's the matter Kazuma?? You shouted all of a sudden..."

The alpaca looking at Kazuma with wondering eyes talked exactly like his girlfriend Yukari.

And this is how his summer with alpaca begins.
While I have not played it, it looks interesting in its own way. Also, the same site has a whole bunch of VNs that you can buy. Some are translated; some are not.

Return to “Games & Computing”