Visual Novels

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

stellarroze
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Visual Novels

Post by stellarroze »

Has anyone played Supipara - Alice the Magical Conductor by minori? If you have, was it good and was it slow on your PC?
LightofDawn
Astral Realm

Post by LightofDawn »

Yes and no, in that order.

I just realised there were three questions, so it's actually: Yes, yes, and no.
Aegis-
Kyonist

Post by Aegis- »

Cosmic Eagle wrote:VN writers have a startling tendency to put their characters through the worst hells....Muv Luv is not the only one nor is it the worst.

it's like cruel and unusual treatment or something...
Yeah, that's definitely true in that respect. And I'm pretty sure that there are others that are much worse than Muv-Luv but that was the most chaotic of what I've seen thus far of the games that I've played.

And it's even more so when it comes to some of the bad ends that they come up with.

Those are definitely questions I have also had ainsoph9. I do think it may have something to do with shock factor, especially with certain game companies or series. 0verflow seems to do that with their bad ends; most notoriously with the School Days VN, I've seen.

Actually just thinking about it, I know this isn't a VN in and of itself but has anyone been able to run Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code without massive lag?
Ideals are for people who want to change their own future.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Aegis- wrote:Those are definitely questions I have also had ainsoph9. I do think it may have something to do with shock factor, especially with certain game companies or series. 0verflow seems to do that with their bad ends; most notoriously with the School Days VN, I've seen.

Actually just thinking about it, I know this isn't a VN in and of itself but has anyone been able to run Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code without massive lag?
I think you are correct about the shock factor. The only thing about that is that these VN companies do not have fundamental Christian parents protesting at their doorsteps about how inappropriate such things are for children like they did for shock rock here in the United States.

I have played earlier versions of Melty Blood and have usually not had any problems. Assuming that you are running a legal version ( :roll: ) on a Windows OS, I will guess that you do not have your Regional Settings set correctly. Oftentimes, changing these will make Japanese games run infinitely smoother.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Antone tried the English School Days yet?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Why are you so gun-ho about School Days when you know how messed up it is? :?

This is not exactly a VN, but it is based on a VN. I present to you Web Koihime Musou.
Aegis-
Kyonist

Post by Aegis- »

ainsoph9 wrote:I have played earlier versions of Melty Blood and have usually not had any problems. Assuming that you are running a legal version ( :roll: ) on a Windows OS, I will guess that you do not have your Regional Settings set correctly. Oftentimes, changing these will make Japanese games run infinitely smoother.
No, it's not that. I always keep my computer in the Japanese region setting considering the amount of japanese doujin games I play. And MBAACC is a little more graphically intensive than the other games. Act Cadenza runs perfectly on my computer and I always get 60 frames, even when executing Arc Drives and Last Arcs. =x I prob just need to get a laptop with a better processor. =(

If I remember correctly, though, most of the horrible terabad stuff where the shock factor is involved usually is in 18+ eroge or 15+ games where more adult-themed situations occur. I do like some shock factor stuff; sometimes it can be taken way too far and sometimes it's just so ridiculous it's funny. xD

I'm sure there's much more to School Days than the bad endings, though. If I can recall, doesn't it have many bad endings. There's only three bad endings out of the twenty-one possible endings for the game. So there's obviously much more to the game than just them three guro scenes. But I think it was them scenes that did make the game as popular as it did. xD Just thinking about it, I hope Summer Days will also get a port sometime in the future since it's also made by 0verflow.

And what is that madness of a game? O.O That looks smexeh and delicious all in one. I'll have to do a bit of research into that VN nao. XD But with that web game, it makes me wonder if the translations and localizations are at least decent to good. *goes off to test out the game before class*
Ideals are for people who want to change their own future.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I can only guess that your PC is not up to spec for Melty Blood.

You are correct that is where most of it happens, and it just so happens also that those are the ones that tend to get ported over to the anime scene for whatever reason.

As for School Days, if we define "bad ending" as everyone not singing and dancing a skip off into the sunset, School Days has more than three bad endings. Arguably, most, if not all, are bad endings in some way or form. If I cannot have resolution and the lack of a bad aftertaste in my mouth, that is a bad ending for me.

Which game are you talking about? :?
d34thw1ng
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by d34thw1ng »

Aegis- wrote:
There's only three bad endings out of the twenty-one possible endings for the game.
if i remember correctly only 3 endings can be call good endings... (few more if good ending means no deaths...)

about the shocking stuff... well i play normal vn games (tomoyo, clannad stein gates) and more than shocking , they were hilarious till some point , on the other hand +18 games at least i play 2 or 3 and i have to said that i snap out to learn what kind of fetish people can have :S
forsaken by god , humans are bound to the hands of the devil. reality is that god never exist , and when humans thinks they are forgotten they just abandon rationality
Dawn
Astral Realm

Post by Dawn »

Have you guys actually played through all 21 endings? I certainly haven't, but I'm pretty sure that there're more 'good' endings than 3...
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I posted the different endings I think a few pages back on this thread or another one as a response to kira. In my book, there really are not any all-that-good endings. Each one has some problems, if you think of the consequences after the ending.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

HanTsuki doesn't have a good ending, if you think about the consequences after the ending.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

But it's more of a bittersweet ending.

School Days endings are just... bitter
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

So, that brings up a couple of questions. How many of you think of what happens after the official ending? After the ending, do you think that the after-story after ending is sweet, bitter, bittersweet, or what? What games fall into those categories, and what are their ratings (i.e., 15+, 18+, etc.)?
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

I find that I have been generally highly satisfied with the true ends so far that I don't really think too much about what happens after. I definitely think about it after the individual routes, but I have yet to find an unsatisfying true end.

Return to “Games & Computing”