Microphones

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Setherzam
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Microphones

Post by Setherzam »

So, I'm trying to record myself singing but noticed that when I hold the microphone like in karaoke the sound volume goes in and out. I'm assuming it's because I'm holding the damn thing instead of having it on a mike stand, but I read somewhere that even better is to get those headphones with built in mikes since those basically stay the same distance from your mouth regardless of what you're doing. The microphones I have myself are pretty good quality and I'm using Audacity to record, so my question is basically should I just go buy a mike stand or get one of those headphone/microphones/clip on mikes. If the second, what do you guys recommend?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Microphones

Post by b0mb3r »

Setherzam wrote:So, I'm trying to record myself singing but noticed that when I hold the microphone like in karaoke the sound volume goes in and out. I'm assuming it's because I'm holding the damn thing instead of having it on a mike stand, but I read somewhere that even better is to get those headphones with built in mikes since those basically stay the same distance from your mouth regardless of what you're doing. The microphones I have myself are pretty good quality and I'm using Audacity to record, so my question is basically should I just go buy a mike stand or get one of those headphone/microphones/clip on mikes. If the second, what do you guys recommend?
the real question is why are you singing the 1st place? are you a musician or a garage band fan? funny that I am in class and there is a mike next to me. also maybe because you are holding the mike your a shifting the sound.

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Setherzam wrote:So, I'm trying to record myself singing but noticed that when I hold the microphone like in karaoke the sound volume goes in and out. I'm assuming it's because I'm holding the damn thing instead of having it on a mike stand, but I read somewhere that even better is to get those headphones with built in mikes since those basically stay the same distance from your mouth regardless of what you're doing. The microphones I have myself are pretty good quality and I'm using Audacity to record, so my question is basically should I just go buy a mike stand or get one of those headphone/microphones/clip on mikes. If the second, what do you guys recommend?
What kind of mic are you using exactly? Mics will generally only have the kind of problem you are having if either the person using the mic keeps changing the distance between the mic and themselves or if an electrical problem exists. I am assuming that the former situation is not the problem. It might be the case that if you are plugging the mic directly into your computer, the mic is not getting enough power to send a consistent signal back to the computer. You might need something to help boost the signal instead of buying a mic stand or headphone mic. Another thing about headphone mics is that the wireless feature of many of them can restrict sound quality (hence, why they are mainly used for pop music where most people do not care about the sound quality). Here is a place that might be good to start looking at mics though:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_microphones.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

You should be able to just level the recording, supposing the changes aren't extreme.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

not a professional singer, just one of those amateur "just for the hell of it" type of singers. As for the mikes themselves I'm not sure of the brand since I don't have them at the moment but they're like those karaoke microphones. It's a vocal microphone for sure though. I'm almost certain a lot of the issues is caused by me holding the mike and moving it back and forth, The problem with a mike stand is that I think I tend to sway a a lot too which is why I'm wondering if I should get one of those headphone/mikes or something

I can't really adjust the gain or loss in the program because it's also fuzzier at certain points

Return to “Games & Computing”