Laptop VS Desktop

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Laptop VS Desktop

Post by onizuka-gto »

Well, I need a new PC.

Been running about using an old samsung dual-core 1.8Ghz, 12.3" laptop for about three-four years now.

But things are getting out of hand, can't even run CS3 reliably on it anymore and i've more then had enough of VISTA.

Been looking around and i really like the Lenovo W510.

but they don't sell it in Hong Kong directly! Home of frigging Lenovo! dammit! So if i want it, i'll have to find an import or buy the US version, both which is difficult and expensive.

Second option is a ASUS G51Jx

Both are Quad-core with lots of RAM.

Now sure they are both Desktop replaceable!

So i guess the third option is a Desktop instead, which can satisfy all my power concerns and at a very very affordable price.

but im press for space so i guess the only case i'll realistically consider is a Silverstone case. which i can actually find here, as oppose to XPC cases. (I like the cube factor!).

However the dilemma is that i do travel a lot and perhaps in the future i might have to move again, so i'm worried i won't be able to pack a desktop pc, just like the others i left in the U.K. (Using three pc's at the same time seems like such a long time ago.... :( so much productivity done in those days! ).

So i'm stuck, sacrifice performance and price for mobility. Or sacrifice mobility for performance and price?

Or if you have any other laptop suggestion i'll be more then happy to check it out!
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Laptop VS Desktop

Post by rpapo »

Call me a stick in the mud, but I've resisted getting a laptop. It used to be mainly because I couldn't maintain it myself, what with laptops being mostly "disposable" machines, but since Dells have gotten so cheap I don't bother buying the pieces separately anymore (only to wind up with a machine that Microsoft doesn't exactly like...) At least the Dells are ready to go straight out of the box, and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

Of course, that's here in the USA. Who knows what's best in Hong Kong?
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I would not advise buying a Dell desktop or laptop. I have used Dell extensively and have known many who use or have used Dell, and they often have complaints about the performance and the severe lack of longevity.

All of the three computers, from what I can see, look like good choices. Frankly, unless you plan on really taxing the CPU or GPU, a laptop should be fine. Hard drive space is almost always addable. Just make sure that the fans in the thing are good enough to cool the computer so that you are not always in the "hot seat" while using it. The price may also be slightly higher, but if you are afraid that you will not be able to use your computer when you need it, then it might be best to go with the laptop.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I already used a Dell in the office whenever i was there and i usually ignore it for my laptop as i can do everything better so my opinion of them are pretty rock bottom.

But this new laptop will be my desktop replacement at home, my old laptop i'll just use it for taking my work about and perhaps use it to tweak a few things, but mostly to present and transfer stuff.

I don't think i'll have to take my main one out and about, so i can afford to have it so big, but the thing is with my unstable life, there will be a very likely chance that i'll have to move about and stay a few days out of the country (or Provence, if you want to be political about it.)

In those instance it would be nice to be able to bring my main rig with me, which i've been pretty much accustom to now.

If i go the desktop root, probably can still cope, still can carry the old little laptop but i'll probably pull my hair out, from going from Windows 7 back to Windows VISTA.

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Istnt it capable to upgrade from Vista to 7?

Btw. my own PC's are all Laptop till now (but I am only at my second right now, an HP Quad-core), because I like the possibiltiy that they can be easiely moved around even if I dont do that often - still the possibilty exists (and since I am rarely up for the newest stuff is it also ok for me that they may not have all the power a tower / Desktop can have)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

Really. Anything that can run Vista should be able to run Windows 7 too. It supports more hardware and is actually less demanding on the system's resources (CPU, mostly).
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

It should but if it is the working PC and they dont have a 7 license... and/or still running Vista at their other machines...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

baka baka baka

Return to “Games & Computing”