Game Engines

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

cboy123
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Game Engines

Post by cboy123 »

Is there anyone here knows about using Game Engines...
[ur=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine]Unreal Engine[/url]
One of the Engine I use...
Could you teach me what scripts this engine uses?
I maybe stupid... But A BRILLIANT PERSON CANNOT OUTDUMB the stupid
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Game Engines

Post by larethian »

cboy123 wrote:Is there anyone here knows about using Game Engines...
It uses its own scripting language, unreal script. There should be an online reference for it. And I think you need an SDK or something.
cboy123

Post by cboy123 »

larethian wrote:
cboy123 wrote:Is there anyone here knows about using Game Engines...
It uses its own scripting language, unreal script. There should be an online reference for it. And I think you need an SDK or something.
I am not really familiar with abbre. but what is SDK...
Oh... so that is unreal script... Wonder I use Jass Scripts on Blizzard's World editor...
Thanks for the info that each engines have different sciprts... So if I have learned Java. I need to learn again this new script.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

SDK is short for "Software Development Kit."
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

@cboy123

To be honest I can't remember much, even though I've used it for my final year project before, which was like 8 years ago. It depends on what you need. What are you trying to use the engine for? And I just remembered you need a game like unreal tournament which will provide you with some important libraries and level design tools along with the SDK which includes script compiler and other stuff. I think all the information is available at their site. The only problem is that for unreal engine, you can only develop at uscript level only, unless you license the engine (unless this has changed and I've lost touch with news). Which means you can't use complex AI algorithms you develop on your own, nor modify the lower layers of the graphics and physics engine, or other low levels of customization. However, at the script level itself, with the level designer tool, it's possible to develop an entirely new game. It even offers socket programming at the script level. As for learning the script, if you know C, Java, and javascript, it'll be easy to pick up the language. The only time consuming thing will be to know what kind of APIs are available to you since there are a lot of them, and best programming practices with uscript. Since at the script level which is essentially interpreted code, you can't afford to write overly shabby code which will slow your game down. Yes, there is a learning curve, but there are tutorials online, 2-3 months to overcome the learning curve will sound about right if you want to make something complex.

I'm amazed at how little (or rather how much) I remember, probably because I've used it for a whole year.
cboy123

Post by cboy123 »

larethian wrote:@cboy123

To be honest I can't remember much, even though I've used it for my final year project before, which was like 8 years ago. It depends on what you need. What are you trying to use the engine for? And I just remembered you need a game like unreal tournament which will provide you with some important libraries and level design tools along with the SDK which includes script compiler and other stuff. I think all the information is available at their site. The only problem is that for unreal engine, you can only develop at uscript level only, unless you license the engine (unless this has changed and I've lost touch with news). Which means you can't use complex AI algorithms you develop on your own, nor modify the lower layers of the graphics and physics engine, or other low levels of customization. However, at the script level itself, with the level designer tool, it's possible to develop an entirely new game. It even offers socket programming at the script level. As for learning the script, if you know C, Java, and javascript, it'll be easy to pick up the language. The only time consuming thing will be to know what kind of APIs are available to you since there are a lot of them, and best programming practices with uscript. Since at the script level which is essentially interpreted code, you can't afford to write overly shabby code which will slow your game down. Yes, there is a learning curve, but there are tutorials online, 2-3 months to overcome the learning curve will sound about right if you want to make something complex.

I'm amazed at how little (or rather how much) I remember, probably because I've used it for a whole year.
In English...
Hahaha... Joke only... Thanks for the epic reply... I think, learning the codes would consume me a lot of time here in this world.
aYsiEn
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by aYsiEn »

Unreal Engine only allow you to make FPS kind Game.

Try Using Unity Game Engine unity3d.com/

It has Javascript and C# for AI Programming any way you want...
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

aYsiEn wrote:Unreal Engine only allow you to make FPS kind Game.

Try Using Unity Game Engine unity3d.com/

It has Javascript and C# for AI Programming any way you want...
Not true, though I agree its scripting facilities are not as powerful as some other engines.

Return to “Games & Computing”