Firefox or Chrome?

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Firefox or Chrome?

Post by Mystes »

I wonder if that question has been answered, but well...

I switched not too long ago to Chrome, and looking at my dad using Firefox, I wonder which browser should I use. Any comments?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Firefox or Chrome?

Post by ainsoph9 »

I switched to Chrome a long time ago. I used to be an avid Firefox user until Firefox started leaking memory like a sieve. I prefer Chrome's minimalistic approach and response to input. To me, it tends to run smoother than Firefox. I can open and close tabs much quicker in Chrome than in Firefox. I can say this easily enough because I have both installed and running on my computer right now.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

I've been in the chrome camp since beta. I didn't know firefox still leaks memory (or maybe doesn't clean up what it uses). I remember I used to leave firefox (before I switched to chrome) open for days, and it chalks up to more than 1 GB memory worth of pages.
stellarroze
Senior Project Translator

Post by stellarroze »

Chrome is really annoying me right now. :x First of all it was with the Adobe Flash issue, then those blue "Aw, snap" screens blanking out the tab and sometimes every other tab I got open and now it keeps freezing for no reason. The only reason I switched to Chrome was because it was easier than Firefox, now I've pretty much had enough of it.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

You know, I have been having the same problem with Adobe Flash recently, not to mention the random freezes and crashes. I have been wondering why this has been happening lately, but I have really just not done anything about it.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ainsoph9 wrote:You know, I have been having the same problem with Adobe Flash recently, not to mention the random freezes and crashes. I have been wondering why this has been happening lately, but I have really just not done anything about it.
What's wrong with Flash? I mean, in which situations it freezes & crashes?
Kira0802

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

It just does it, kira.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

I'm going to admit I switched to Chrome just for the chrome to phone app.

No more alt tabbing out of Terraria to look for something up!
stellarroze

Post by stellarroze »

Kira0802 wrote:
ainsoph9 wrote:You know, I have been having the same problem with Adobe Flash recently, not to mention the random freezes and crashes. I have been wondering why this has been happening lately, but I have really just not done anything about it.
What's wrong with Flash? I mean, in which situations it freezes & crashes?

It just does it randomly for no apparent reason. I googled the problem a while back and discovered it was due to some flash plugin conflicts. After resolving the conflicts, it still crashes randomly. In another place I heard that Google is blaming Adobe and vice versa...
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

In other words, the problem will be a problem probably for a problematically long time.
stellarroze

Post by stellarroze »

ainsoph9 wrote:In other words, the problem will be a problem probably for a problematically long time.
Yep and by the way your sentence is kind of a tongue twister. :)
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

hmm......my firefox is using about 512MB of RAM right now.....I've had it up to 1.2GB before it crashed. (excluding the 315MB of plugin-containers right now; I don't even know how high I've had those.)

I don't care for chromes look so I never really switched over to it, and my FF is setup exactly like how I want it. It's just one of those familiarization things.

I also don't know about re-installing flash player if that problem came up with Chrome since some time ago I made my flash to where it stays full screen if I click out of it for using dual monitors. Though, I don't know if Adobe added that in naturally or not.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
inspire
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by inspire »

well i think chrome. Google Chrome has fixed a lot of problems with Firefox that most Firefox users didn't even know they had, and Firefox is still working to catch up. (Restart-free extension installation, isolated processes that keep one bad tab from crashing the entire browser, etc.) As a result, Chrome's smart feature set has been winning over a lot of Firefox die-hards.
The answer to your question depends a lot on what operating system you're using. :)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Using Windows 7, BTW.
Kira0802

inspire
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by inspire »

Chrome has its own flourishing extension gallery, and while it doesn't have close to the extension support that Firefox does, every day more and more really popular extension functionality makes its way to Chrome. Want to sync Chrome up with your existing Firefox bookmarks? You can use Xmarks for that. (Or you can use Chrome's built-in bookmark sync tools if you prefer, though this editor still dearly misses keyword bookmarks in Chrome, despite the workaround.) Want to securely sync and automatically fill your passwords? The LastPass extension, which we recently raved about, can handle that at more. Even the must-have for web developers, Firebug, has made its way to Chrome in a very functional lite version.

If you use a ton of Firefox extensions—especially some more obscure ones—chances are you may not be able to find replacements for everything in Chrome. But if you only use a few of the more popular Firefox extensions, odds are very good that you could transition to Chrome without noticing a difference.

both Chrome and Firefox are excellent web browsers for Windows, and you can't go wrong with either. From my perspective, more and more power users seem to be swapping happily to Chrome from Firefox.and their switch has been spurred mostly by the bloat issues mentioned above. If you've been frustrated with Firefox, i'd recommend kicking the tires and Chrome to see how you like it; you can always switch back if you decide your heart lies with Firefox.

If, on the other hand, you're perfectly happy with Firefox, i don't see any reason to upset a good thing. (If it ain't broke and all that.) :)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Games & Computing”