A Good Freeplay MMORPG

This forum is for Games & Computing related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

falcolobo
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

A Good Freeplay MMORPG

Post by falcolobo »

So recently after reading the latest SAO volume I looked at my Vindictus account and realized. I want a game with an open world. So this is my quest: find a good MMORPG that has an open world and is freeplay. I want something that is action based and relies on skill. Anyone know any?
"To my only desire, bring forth the beast of possibilities"
-Cardeas Vist (Gundam Unicorn)
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Re: A Good Freeplay MMORPG

Post by ainsoph9 »

I have heard that Einherjar is supposed to be good, although I have not played it myself. On the other hand, you can always check out Steam, which seems to almost always have some kind of free MMORPG, many of which have at least some notoriety in the gaming world.

If you are willing to pay, then you can always rely on the old "Ragnarok Online" (a.k.a. "Ragna-crack"). I was hooked back in college.
Kojiro_S
Kyonist

Post by Kojiro_S »

I play Champions of Regnum, which is freemium (free to play, with premium content available) and recently was made available on Steam. However, it is rather oldschool in its mechanics and the engine has quite a few rough edges, which means it gets a lot of hate from WoW lovers. The fun part is that you get to choose from one of 3 countries, each with its specific races and classes, appealing to a sense of "patriotism".

Also, you're free from going anywhere you want as soon as you start the game, and there is a huge area known as the battlezone (BZ) outside the frontiers of each country where players from any of the 3 countries can roam; there you can and WILL BE attacked on the spot by players from the other two countries. Raid parties are all day long trying to conquer forts in order to weaken frontiers, and when they're weak enough enemies can actually invade the safe zones and mop the floor with all underleveled players they find while looking for gems hidden within the land.

Overall I think it fulfills the conditions of "Open World", "Free to Play", and "Action Based". However I think it relies more on teamwork than skills, and as I said, quite a few don't like it. I for one find the skirmishes within the BZ to be quite addictive.
Ku ku ku~
Spellreaper
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Spellreaper »

action-based and open world?
then you should maybe try Tera...
gameplay is similiar to Vindictus, so you have to aim and hit yourself and the graphics are really nice for a MMO
the world is also quite big, there are 3 continents and Tera has a politics system, that means, your guild can apply for specific regions as "ruler" and then you can determine taxes and which NPC's are available
there are also dungeons etc.
and there are 7 races (one of them are lolis^^) and 8 classes

overall, it's a solid MMO and it's in the end your thing, if you will test it or not^^
MCsq2
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by MCsq2 »

I haven't played that much MMORPG's, so feel free to tap onto any game that you come across.

But as a former MMORPG gamer myself, let me just tell you this right now.

Do not play Runescape. If you do, you will absolutely regret playing this game after a while.
Kojiro_S
Kyonist

Post by Kojiro_S »

Why? Someone has been telling me to play it, so I want to know if it's really worth the time or not...
Ku ku ku~
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

Go for Mabinogi!
F2P? Check. Open world? Check. Action based? Check. Relies on skill? Double check.

I think Mabinogi fits your requirements completely, and it has no generic "class system" too. A person can learn every skill which his/her race has access to, if he has the patience and determination to do so( :lol: ). The closest thing to a "class" system is the destiny system, and that just boosts training speed for certain types of skills, and can also be changed every rebirth. It's a good game, I personally like it very much, and I would recommend you to try it out. :wink:
inaban
Project Translator

Post by inaban »

I've played......more than my fair share of MMORPG's whether they be f2p or p2p. There are tons of F2P MMO's but only a handful are not garbage.

If you have a decent computer you can check out Tera. It's a beautiful game(hence need strong comp) and very skill based, although endgame is a little grindy.

I could never really get into Mabinogi so I can't really say anything about that, but I would imagine it's that popular for a reason.

You can also try out Dragon Nest(It's on steam) it's not open world, but I had a ton of fun while playing it, more of an action based RPG

I would also highly recommend Guild Wars 2 if your computer can handle it. It's not free but there's no subscription fee. I quit after I reached max level on just one class and I had prob put in close to 60 to 70 hours, there's tons of stuff to do in it. Story's great and they come out with new content pretty quick.

I'm currently hooked on FFXIV, but that ones a purchase + monthly fee so dunno if that's your thing.

Don't play WoW.
guhehe-TL: http://guhehe.net/
Twitter updates: @Inaban_TL

Projects:
Spoiler! :
T/L For Haganai V9
T/L For OniAi
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

inaban wrote:Don't play WoW.
That's some good advice right there. :lol:

Return to “Games & Computing”