What are you currently reading?

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

kuroi_shinigami
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

Seems nice. I love mind-game stories. Is this a stand-alone novel? Or will there be further volumes after this?
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Doraneko »

kuroi_shinigami wrote:Seems nice. I love mind-game stories. Is this a stand-alone novel? Or will there be further volumes after this?
So far only one volume has been released (just in June this year). I expect the series to continue for at least a few volumes.

It isn't totally a mind game story with quite a few action scenes. In a weird way, the heroine is kind of like Obama. Armed with a WMD, the self-appointed mediator sticks her head into a number of middle-east-esque conflicts in the fantasy world. The focus of the story is not only the powerful negotiations on the table, but also the coercion (thus the action scenes) and sweeteners she and her allies use against the parties under the table.

Of course when compared to Obama who talks his way to a Nobel Peace Prize from the White House, the heroine here engages herself actively on the front line and brings about peace through successfully stopping a number of major military conflicts with minimal casualties. On top of that she is moeeee~ :D
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

So, Obama wiggles his way into another manga/light novel. Great. :roll:
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

I'm starting to catch up on stuff BT translates now thanks to the Android app

Current progress:

Fate/Zero: 1 sentence
Everything else: nothing at all
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

ben1234 wrote:I'm starting to catch up on stuff BT translates now thanks to the Android app

Current progress:

Fate/Zero: 1 sentence
Everything else: nothing at all
good luck my friendly BTist.

baka baka baka
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Currently reading Hidan no Aria's English translations.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Just finished the first Haruhi novel. This was my first time reading a Tanigawa-novel in its original language, and I have to say it was quite mawarikudoi, so to speak. Nevertheless, I liked the writing style with all it's connections between clauses, and digressions. It was a mistake, however, to read during the trip to work, as I fell asleep all the time. I should definitely resort to lighter light novels when I'm on the move.

I guess I'll read Kurozuka (黒塚) next, or maybe Iriya no Sora. Depends on my mood tomorrow.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:I guess I'll read Kurozuka (黒塚) next, or maybe Iriya no Sora. Depends on my mood tomorrow.
Hum... Is Kurozuka really a LN? From the cover, it kooks more like a horror scary novel. :oops:
Kira0802

EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

kira0802 wrote: Hum... Is Kurozuka really a LN? From the cover, it kooks more like a horror scary novel. :oops:
Depends on how you define "light novel". :D
If you consider any 小説 or 文庫本 a "light novel", then yes, it is.
If you go by the definition "表紙や挿絵にアニメ調のイラストを多用している若年層向けの小説" (anime illustrations used inside / on the cover), then it's not.

Well, but in this case it's probably accurate to just call it a "novel".
But if your own mental level is high enough, you can turn any novel into a "light" novel! :D
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:
kira0802 wrote: Hum... Is Kurozuka really a LN? From the cover, it kooks more like a horror scary novel. :oops:
Depends on how you define "light novel". :D
If you consider any 小説...
This is the definition of light novel to me...though I get the feeling that it's more 'heavy novel' then 'light' from the cover. What's the story about?
Kira0802

kuroi_shinigami
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

Doraneko wrote:
kuroi_shinigami wrote:Seems nice. I love mind-game stories. Is this a stand-alone novel? Or will there be further volumes after this?
So far only one volume has been released (just in June this year). I expect the series to continue for at least a few volumes.

It isn't totally a mind game story with quite a few action scenes. In a weird way, the heroine is kind of like Obama. Armed with a WMD, the self-appointed mediator sticks her head into a number of middle-east-esque conflicts in the fantasy world. The focus of the story is not only the powerful negotiations on the table, but also the coercion (thus the action scenes) and sweeteners she and her allies use against the parties under the table.

Of course when compared to Obama who talks his way to a Nobel Peace Prize from the White House, the heroine here engages herself actively on the front line and brings about peace through successfully stopping a number of major military conflicts with minimal casualties. On top of that she is moeeee~ :D
I'm yearning for a story with mind game battle on at least the level of Liar Game XD. A war manga with mind game on the level of Ravage of Time(Huo Feng Liao Yuan) is even better :P. How about this one? Is the mind game in the negotiation as intense as at least Liar Game?
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:If you consider any 小説 or 文庫本 a "light novel", then yes, it is.
Lol this is certainly one of the most unique definitions of "light novels." Frankly I haven't seen anyone adopting such a wide meaning to the term. Too unique for my taste though. XD

kuroi_shinigami wrote:I'm yearning for a story with mind game battle on at least the level of Liar Game XD. A war manga with mind game on the level of Ravage of Time(Huo Feng Liao Yuan) is even better :P. How about this one? Is the mind game in the negotiation as intense as at least Liar Game?
At the end of the day it is still a light novel so it may be not as intense as you have expected. On top of that, the focus of the story is more about how the heroine manipulates stuff in smart but marginally cunning ways to her interest, instead of having two parties of equal standings fighting against each other by mind battles.

It is a fun and enjoyable read, but likely belongs to a different category from your favourites.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Doraneko wrote:Lol this is certainly one of the most unique definitions of "light novels." Frankly I haven't seen anyone adopting such a wide meaning to the term. Too unique for my taste though. XD
Oh, it's not that far-fetched actually. I'm used to a larger format when talking of "novels", hence I always applied the "light" in "light novels" to the small size of bunkobons. Besides, the "小" in 小説 is to blame. :P Makes it seem as though all of them are small and light.
Of course, I know better by know. Or I should, at least.

What's the story about?
What I can tell so far is that the first 100 pages take place in the 12th century or so. Two Yamabushis (or that's what they appear as) on the run come across a house in the middle of a lonely mountain, where they find a bewitching woman named Kuromitsu. She let's them spend the night there as long as they don't look into her bedroom. Well, due to sickness they stay a few days there. One of the visitors falls in love with her, she with him, and soon after he finds out that she's a vampire—but right then they are attacked by their pursuers.

The explanation of how to effectively suck blood without fangs was quite funny. :D
時代劇臭がプンプンしますぜ。
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Hmm, Im reading Mahou Sensei Negima and Aishiteruze Baby.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Poke2201 wrote:Hmm, Im reading Mahou Sensei Negima and Aishiteruze Baby.
Eusth wrote:Post what light novels you have been / are reading, and maybe add a comment as to how you like(d) it and possibly what it is about. (the focus is on light novels for now. It's of course allowed to post opinions to translated novels here on B-T)
Kira0802

Return to “Manga & Novel”