The Big List of Manga

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

How about make a list so I can read them first. I don't have many Mangas under my belt. :?
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Yeah, I'll have Ichigo and I's re reviewed by the end of today (my time btw), I'll also get ben to write up a few. Right ben? Better go get out my review whip.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

I can write a few on what i've got. Most likely Gantz and Deathnote.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

To tell you the truth I haven't even started Ichigo 100% or I's due to bad reviews that spoiled the ending, and I've never even heard of Kilico.

Midori no Hibi (Midori's Days)
10/10
Genre: Comedy, Romance, School Life, Ecchi(?), Shounen

Summary: Sawamura Seiji is the toughest 17 year old in town, feared by all for his fighting prowess and his deadly "devil's right hand." But at heart, Seiji is a softy, and all he wants is an end to his 17 year history of being a lonely, single guy. Unfortunately his tough-guy reputation only serves to decrease his popularity with the ladies. Think of how surprised he is, when his right hand suddenly turns into a girl who claims to have a crush on him! (Taken and edited from Viz)

Thoughts: The second manga I ever finished in my whole manga reading life, and to this day, still remains one of my favorites. With a wide cast of characters that (somehow) avoids turning into a harem. The story is (according to some people) touching, and it sort of is touching in more than a way. I don't really care for art (it's OK as long as the characters look like how they're supposed to look). Anyway, it's a great manga to read, if only the anime was as good as this.

Watashi No Messiah-Sama (My Messiah) Note: Still ongoing.
9.5/10
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Romance

Summary: Shinya doesn't get stellar grades, he's not athletic, he's a coward, he's a wimp... he's a general good-for-nothing. One day, however; he meets Haruna. A girl that could change his life forever. Haruna tells Shinya he is the Messiah. The Lord chosen to save her world and that she is his shield. Could it be true? Could Shinya's life of ineptitude be balance for this one grand cause? Is he really the Messiah? If he is, can he save himself, let alone an entire world? (Taken from http://www.manga-heaven.n-u-l-l.net/)

Thoughts: I was attracted to this manga due to boredom at first, but now it's taken it's rightful place at #1 in my "top 10 list of (in my opinion) must read manga". So far, I've read up to volume 6, so I can't really review everything. Having typed that,, I think the storyline is one of the best I've ever read, in fact, it's actually one of the few mangas out there that makes me want more. In fact, I would have given this a 10 if the manga had already been completed with a fitting end.
Last edited by ben1234 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

His right hand turns into a girl that says she likes him... that must have been an awkward way to meet after 17 years and puberty... :shock:
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Guest lol wrote:Yeah, I'll have Ichigo and I's re reviewed by the end of today
I, sir, am horribly insulted!

And Ben, if you don't tell us how it ends, how are we suppoed to know if we'll like it? :?
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

ben1234 wrote:To tell you the truth I haven't even started Ichigo 100% or I's due to bad reviews that spoiled the ending, and I've never even heard of Kilico.

Midori no Hibi (Midori's Days)
10/10
Genre: Comedy, Romance, School Life, Ecchi(?), Shounen

Summary: Sawamura Seiji is the toughest 17 year old in town, feared by all for his fighting prowess and his deadly "devil's right hand." But at heart, Seiji is a softy, and all he wants is an end to his 17 year history of being a lonely, single guy. Unfortunately his tough-guy reputation only serves to decrease his popularity with the ladies. Think of how surprised he is, when his right hand suddenly turns into a girl who claims to have a crush on him! (Taken and edited from Viz)

Thoughts: The second manga I ever finished in my whole manga reading life, and to this day, still remains one of my favorites. With a wide cast of characters that (somehow) avoids turning into a harem. The story is (according to some people) touching, and it sort of is touching in more than a way. I don't really care for art (it's OK as long as the characters look like how they're supposed to look). Anyway, it's a great manga to read, if only the anime was as good as this.

Watashi No Messiah-Sama (My Messiah) Note: Still ongoing.
9.5/10
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Romance

Summary: Shinya doesn't get stellar grades, he's not athletic, he's a coward, he's a wimp... he's a general good-for-nothing. One day, however; he meets Haruna. A girl that could change his life forever. Haruna tells Shinya he is the Messiah. The Lord chosen to save her world and that she is his shield. Could it be true? Could Shinya's life of ineptitude be balance for this one grand cause? Is he really the Messiah? If he is, can he save himself, let alone an entire world? (Taken from http://www.manga-heaven.n-u-l-l.net/)

Thoughts: I was attracted to this manga due to boredom at first, but now it's taken it's rightful place at #1 in my "top 10 list of (in my opinion) must read manga". So far, I've read up to volume 6, so I can't really review everything. Having typed that,, I think the storyline is one of the best I've ever read, in fact, it's actually one of the few mangas out there that makes me want more. In fact, I would have given this a 10 if the manga had already been completed with a fitting end.
My ass man, such a blatant outright lie. You told me yourself,
"I don't like Ichigo100% because of the ending. I mean he went with <Bakery Girl>"
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Blue Heaven
IprotestGuestlol'sforgettingthattheinternetcouldn'tcarehowmuchwwearethisasalltheworksherearemoreorlessbasedonpersonalthoughtsjustlikehowMonkeythinks
Ichigo100%isbetterthanI"sthereforeassigninganumberwouldnotonlyberidiculouslystupidbutmightpreventapotentialfanfromfindinghisdreamedofmangagetmydrift?/10

Summary: Guy wakes up on boat and everyone is like... woah... did he just drink his own piss? I don't really remember anything else from that point on other than it involves a lot of shooting, some wierd, morbid anti-heroes, and absolutely no sex whatsoever.*yawn* man... getting this Akai Steel .iso is taking forever...

Anyway, yeah, the plot is like. This dude yeah... he's a trained super assassin type person who wants to be free except he doesn't know what free is other than killing everybody. On a cruise ship. There's a girl too.

Thoughts:

Err.... It's like any other gun assassin type manga out there? The art is nice though. It's also a relatively short read, so it's worth checking out if you have nothing better to do.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

"muchwwe" You have an extra "w" there... :roll:
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

No. I have two extra u's.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Ah, I see what you did there... Anywho Ichigo 100% > I"s isn't based off of personal feelings its a proven fact in the hoboverse!
Symphonia
Astral Realm

Post by Symphonia »

Hmm...it's been a while but I remember that I read Ichigo 100% and I's straight after one another. I also remember thinking "I can't believe these girls are really waiting around so long for this typical-loser-harem-male type character". Then a feeling of déjà vu when I read the next one. :P

However... I think my final assertion was I's > Ichigo 100%.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

SoB the mind control must have gotten to you too! Well I read it as I"s, Video Girl Ai, Lilim Kiss, then Ichigo 100%. I did all that in 3 days. Maybe all the others covered up the story a bit from I"s but either way all the stories were very similar to each other.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Lilim Kiss isn't a harem manga =/ Nor does it involve making a girl wait eons for Mr. Kayu to make a move. At the very least, Lilim Kiss's protagonist is:
1) smartest in the school
2) strongest in the school
3) machoest in the school
4) sexiest in the school

... sigh... keep expecting Morrigan to make an entrance....
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Since I'm still bored:

Hayate the Combat Butler Note: Not finished
9/10
Genre:Action, Comedy, Romance, School Life, Shounen

Summary: Ayasaki Hayate is only 16 years old when he’s abandoned, leaving him to fend for himself against the yakuza, who are after his organs to settle his parents’ massive gambling debt. Looking for a way to somehow acquire 157 million yen before he is cut up by gangsters, he stumbles upon a rich girl whom he can kidnap and ransom. The only problem: he’s a terrible criminal, and ends up saving her life from other would-be kidnappers and apparently confesses his love for her. In order to work off his debt, the girl, Nagi (who is convinced that Hayate is in love with her), and her maid Maria (who knows otherwise), allow him to work as a butler at their mansion. Hayate’s tenure as a butler is not easy, however, and is filled with talking tigers, homicidal robots, jealous relatives, and overarchingly, hilarity.

Thoughts: Again, like Messiah, this hasn't finished in Japan yet, so you shouldn't consider this a real review. As the title suggests this is about Hayate's life as a "combat butler" which is the same as being a butler but he gets to fight other butlers. The story is very relaxing while being hilarious at the times it needs to be.

Nagasarete Airantou Note: Not finished
8/10
Genre: Comedy, Ecchi, Harem, Fantasy, Romance

Summary: Touhohin Ikuto just had a fight with his old man, one that led him to make a rash decision to run away from home. He boards a ship, deciding to take a vacation, but the ship is suddenly hit by a huge storm - one that sends Ikuto overboard! When he regains consciousness, he realizes he is still alive… on some island. An isolated island. An isolated island with nothing but girls. Beautiful girls. Stranded on an island with only girls, no electricity, gas, radio, television… like he was back in the stone age.

Thoughts: Feel free to add the words, "Every heterosexual man's" in front of that Fantasy genre :P, it's also not finished in Japan yet so don't ask me about the ending. There aren't many things to type about here but I guess the 8 rating is because of the enjoyable characters and fun story. Oh, and don't forget the pg-13 scenes! :P

Return to “Manga & Novel”