How do you read your novels ?

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Zell_ff8
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: How do you read your novels ?

Post by Zell_ff8 »

Astounding Bison wrote:I always remove the dust jackets when reading them so they don't get bent out of shape and covered in fingerprints.
Me too, also I wrap EACH manga, novel and book in plastic bags. When reading, I remove the dust jacket (because the book can slide down) and use the plastic bag sideways and as a dust jacket to put my fingers on it and don't mark the actual cover with my fingers.
Probably I've never ever touched any dust cover or cover with my fingers.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Zell_ff8 wrote:
Astounding Bison wrote:I always remove the dust jackets when reading them so they don't get bent out of shape and covered in fingerprints.
Me too, also I wrap EACH manga, novel and book in plastic bags. When reading, I remove the dust jacket (because the book can slide down) and use the plastic bag sideways and as a dust jacket to put my fingers on it and don't mark the actual cover with my fingers.
what?! you put plastic bag over your book? are the oil on our finger that bad for books?

baka baka baka
Zell_ff8
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

b0mb3r wrote:
Zell_ff8 wrote:Me too, also I wrap EACH manga, novel and book in plastic bags. When reading, I remove the dust jacket (because the book can slide down) and use the plastic bag sideways and as a dust jacket to put my fingers on it and don't mark the actual cover with my fingers.
what?! you put plastic bag over your book? are the oil on our finger that bad for books?
Yup. Despite I take every import as a collection item. i.e., if it traveled more than 10000km to reach my hands, it must be preserved. But yes, the oil gets there and never goes. Look at a brand new dust cover and a used one. Once scratched and touched you can't make it shiny again. Also, in black covers it's REALLY notorious. Touch a tankoubon with black cover and you'll see a stain so visible it looks violet. And if you try to clean it it spreads more and more. For a collector, it's a nightmare.
Language books, dictionaries, magazines, anthology magazines, manga, light novels, hard cover books, even dictionaries which already have a plastic dust cover PLUS a cardboard box are wrapped in plastic (and of course import game cartdriges, PS2/PC games and audio CD). Also proper collection items, like a special edition Range Murata artbook which came with a huge solid cardboard box it's wrapped in a bag.
(this is how I keep my books and how I hold them to read: 1, 2, 3)

(for more alienation: when I have to take the books from the package, since they don't have a bag then, I use gloves :D )
Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Doraneko »

There is some real dedication to wrap every single book with dedicated covers. :shock:

For me, when I read a light novel, I only remove the dust cover and wrap it with a cheap 100yen PVC plastic cover. The same cover goes to the next book once I have finished one. I have been using the same cover ever since I started learning Japanese :lol: .
20101102-1.jpg
The PVC cover is surprisingly durable despite of the price. I always have a bunko in the left pocket of my jeans and the cover is strong enough to protect my books from bending and dirt.

And no, I don't keep everything since my apartment is too small (property price here is among the highest in the world). Magazines, except Dengeki Bunko, go directly to the bin, while less enjoyable novels go to second hand book shops. Thanks to my PVC cover they are as good as new even though most were in my jeans pocket for days. But then it is sad that I can only keep books that I really enjoy.

ImageImageImageImageImage

As for e-books, I never read from PC screen for an extended period since it is too tiring and I enjoy reading outside. I have tried using an e-reader before (iriver cover story). It is acceptable, but is still leagues behind the bunko in my jeans in terms of resolution and portability. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Doraneko on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Wow never thought i would meet such preserved neat book lovers. I mean I love books too but I don't keep them in plastic bags. some reason I keep thinking u put them in grocery bags. both of you.

baka baka baka
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

b0mb3r wrote:Wow never thought i would meet such preserved neat book lovers. I mean I love books too but I don't keep them in plastic bags. some reason I keep thinking u put them in grocery bags. both of you.
Lol real book lovers would never push their treasured books into their jean pockets. I am leagues behind Zell who literally uses gloves 8) to handle his books.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

i don't know if this is a good methodical way to preserve books but some built home-made fridges (like the ice truck killer) to keep their book preserved under controlled cold temperature. wouldn't the moisture hurt the books instead?

baka baka baka
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

b0mb3r wrote:i don't know if this is a good methodical way to preserve books but some built home-made fridges (like the ice truck killer) to keep their book preserved under controlled cold temperature. wouldn't the moisture hurt the books instead?
Of course. On top of that it is a waste of electricity and I cannot see anyone doing that.

If preservation of books in perfect condition really concerns you, just get an anti-moisture box for cameras for storing your books. Remember to put the box in a dark place too.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Oh wow, I feel so barbaric now for throwing my dust covers just somewhere into my shelf or even shoving them into the pocket of my jacket for days.
At worst they end up like this: :D
Spoiler! :
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

But are we buying the books to be collector's items, or to read them? I have a ton of books in my basement, gathering dust mainly because I long ago ran out of the time required to read any particular book more than once (though I used to do so). Once a decade or so, I donate a pile to the local library.

Not any of the Japanese stuff: I haven't gathered enough yet . . . and they're tiny.

My complete inventory in Japanese: Watashi-tachi no Tamura-kun 1-2, Toradora 1-10, Toradora Spinoff 1-3, Golden Time 1-2, Spice & Wolf 1-3. Not even enough to fill one shelf.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:Oh wow, I feel so barbaric now for throwing my dust covers just somewhere into my shelf or even shoving them into the pocket of my jacket for days.
At worst they end up like this: :D
Spoiler! :
If you want to spend a little for a change, just get one of those 100 yen PVC covers and use it on the particular book you are reading, while keeping the dust cover on your shelf. The PVC cover will last at least a year. At the same time the condition of your newly bought books will become substantially better.

But well, whatever floats your boat. ;)
rpapo wrote:But are we buying the books to be collector's items, or to read them?
Of course for reading. :P

Well, except for the few Animage magazines I have from the 80s with Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service as the cover girl. Here is one of them. I do treat them as collector's items and put them in plastic bags.

Anyway, if I have books sitting somewhere gathering dust, I will rather sell them. It does good to the earth, my bank account and my tiny apartment.

Admittedly the prospect of selling my books is one of the main reason for me to keep them in good conditions. I don't see myself as a hardcore book lover though, since most of my Japanese friends are basically doing the same thing and it is pretty much the norm in the society. The only thing that distinguishes me is that I only use 100 yen PVC covers, while they mostly use paper covers from book stores or fancy cotton/leather covers.

Take a look at some of the fancy covers for anime and light novel lovers. I may get a Homuhomu one the next time I go to Japan. :)

P.S. to Rpapo: You surely are a hardcore Yuyupo lover, with over 80% of your Japanese novel collection to be her works! :mrgreen:
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

for me books are meant to be read. I don't wrap them though I keep them out of the sun. paper degrades slower.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

The only book I have, the Amazon Suzumiya Haruhi v1 which I just bought, I put it a plastic cover and a black thick cover over it. It looks like a private diary from far.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

kira0802 wrote:The only book I have, the Amazon Suzumiya Haruhi v1 which I just bought, I put it a plastic cover and a black thick cover over it. It looks like a private diary from far.
! death note!

baka baka baka
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I don't have any paper copies of anything.

I don't have any money for it ^^
Even eternity can be encased in ice.

Return to “Manga & Novel”