The Big List of Manga

This forum is for Novel & Manga related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Armanewb
Astral Realm

Post by Armanewb »

whoops misread the post

historically i've sucked at reviewing anything more than a piece of bread, but i'll give it a shot. just gotta pick the starting block eh?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

girls saurus is a good manga.

:p

A bloke who's absolutely psychologically scared stiff (or is that "limp") by women,(its so bad he actually develop physical symptoms, i.e. spots and inflamation on his skin) yet for some reason, women just want to be around him.....and all over him

lol

love ecchi comedies... :p

the author's style is top class, and her stories are well written.
try it.

:D
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Umiman
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Umiman »

Here's a direct download for Mr. Administrator's suggestion if you wish to check it out and are too lazy to type "girls saurus" in google. I don't think it's licensed yet.

Telepathic Wanderers
dull/10
Summary: Psychic individuals (i.e: reading minds, predicting the future, travelling through time) try to prevent their own deaths.

Review: Yawnage 2000. I don't know what this manga was trying to do, but unless it was aiming for Most Mediocre Manga, it probably failed. There's really nothing special about this one and the story is quite forgettable. Sure... there's a pretty girl with supernatural powers like blowing your brains into nothingness, but it doesn't even make sense.

Again, this is a relatively dull manga with some minor, interesting parts.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Pastel Note: Still ongoing in Japan
9/10
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Ecchi, Romance, Slice of Life, Harem (arguable)

Summary: Tadano Mugi is heartbroken after his girlfriend moves away… To ease his troubled heart, he decides to work in a beachside snack bar owned by his best friend’s family during the summer. While working one day, he accidentally catches a cute girl undressing. Instead of being mad at Mugi though, this peculiar girl smiles and makes him pay for peeping at her. The next day, while Mugi is wondering whether he would ever see this girl again, his best friend Kazuki sets him up on a date. As fate would have it, Mugi gets to meet Tsukisaski Yuu, the girl he had seen! But, after accidentally walking in on Yuu in the bath, he ends up on her bad side. Before he can apologize though, he learns that Yuu has left the island…
Being unable to apologize properly to the beautiful Yuu, Mugi vows to search high and low to find her again. He quickly gives up though and decides to go back home. However, that is when he finds Yuu where he was the least expecting it… in his bath! It turns out that Tsukisaki Yuu and her younger sister, Tsukasa, will now be living with him. How will these three get along?

Thoughts: You know, I have absolutely no idea why I'm reading this. Maybe it's because of the slow paced story (I'm a bit slow so slow pace is good for me) or because I'm curious as to what will happen in the future. But whatever the reason, I'm still reading this as my 3rd favorite manga.

Mahou Sensei Negima Note:Not even close to finishing in Japan
9.5/10
Genre: Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, School Life, Harem, Magic, Sci-fi, Romance, Action

Summary: Negi Springfield is a 10 year old magician prodigy from Wales. When it turns out his real world assignment in order to become a full fledged Magister Magi is an English teacher in Japan, this is just the beginning of what will be a wild ride. It turns out that the school, Mahora Academy, is an all girls school. His class: 31 girls of various personalities, interests, and backgrounds. One girl in particular that isn't too keen about his being their teacher, Asuna Kagurazaka. On top of that, he must keep his identity of being a magi secret. Add an ermine, magical cards, some ecchi-ness, and lots of laughs, and you have what has already proven to be a huge hit among anime and manga fans.

Thoughts: Latest manga series by Akamatsu Ken! I've been following the manga ever since I read Love Hina. When I started, I continued reading it because it was slightly funny, although I don't think that it's as funny as Love Hina. Still, as the story progressed, I got more hooked up by the action and magic. Even though I don't really care for art, the artwork was simply one of the best. Akamatsu was careful on the details, and made a lot of planning. And, despite of having a manga filled with more than 30+ characters, you can somehow know all their differences. Heck, even the twins! :D It doesn't matter if you're not a romance, ecchi or action fan. Negima is one manga that you do not want to miss.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Mars
w00t/10

Plot: Mars (IPA: /ˈmɑɹz/ (GenAm); /ˈmɑːz/ (RP)) is the fourth planet from the Sun in our solar system and is named after Mars, the Roman god of war. Mars is also known as the "Red Planet" due to its reddish appearance when seen from Earth. The prefix areo-, from the Greek god of war, Ares, refers to Mars in the same way geo- refers to Earth.

No, seriously: Mars is a manga written by Fuyumi Soryo. The series has also been adapted into a drama in Taiwan under the name of Mars. The manga stars Kira Aso, a timid artist who lives with her mom, and Rei Kashino, a flirt and playboy with a penchant for racing motorcycles (professionally). These two unlikely teenagers fall in and out of love (and in again by the end) throughout the course of the fifteen book series.

Thoughts:
It's really something. Art style is extremely shojo, but the story is a nice read. If there were any complaints that I could make about this, it would be that sometimes the characters become TOO dramatic for their own good. Perhaps the only people with love lives more chaotic than these two hapless protagonists would be Keitaro and Narusegawa.

It's well worth a read if you wish to indulge in dramatic love love bittersweet happy things.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

I just noticed something: No one's rated BLEACH yet.

BLEACH
Genre: Shonen, Supernatural, Action
Summary: Kurosaki Ichigo is a boy who can see ghosts... bla bla bla. You know the drill. You wouldn't be on this page if you didn't know what BLEACH is afterall.

Thoughts: I hated the first few chapters, like the parakeet, Inoue's brother etc etc. But once they got to the part where Ishida shows up, Chad and Inoue get their powers, and Byakuya's appearance I was totally hooked. What followed were awesome swords, brilliant sword fights, and Ban Kais. After the SS arc, we're given even more stuff to ponder about in terms of Vaizards, Arrancarr and Espadas. Oh and a king and his horse too.

A staple of the shonen genre, a definate must-read.

Rating:9/10

P/S: Stay away from the anime after episode 63. Start watching after episode 110. BLEACH never aired during those 47 episodes. Nope, they just vanished. I heard some lame thing called "filler" was aired in between. Hmm...
/me claws out throat and dies
Armanewb
Astral Realm

Post by Armanewb »

So let me try my hand at this then.

Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
9/10

Genres: Supernatural, Romance, Drama, Slice of Life (I guess?)

Plot Summary
Shuji is your average boy and Chise is the stereotypically cute, clumsy girl. Our two protagonists are living the simple life in Hokkaido, amidst a raging war that has consumed the entire world. Now, here's where things get interesting. Kawaii Chise asks Shuji to be her boyfriend, but later reveals inadvertently that she is actually a secret weapon of the Self Defense Force, and upon being activated turns into a mechanized angel of death. The story revolves around their two lives and how they cope with Chise's double life.

Thoughts
Well, there are bits of H-ness, but its done to advance the story, not just for the sake of it. The story deals a lot with the gruesomeness and futility of war, and asks some very powerful moral questions. And watching the twists and turns of a cute but deadly girl with a totally plain guy is enthralling, to say the least. The art at times is a little rough, but believe me when you see Chise in weapon form its a shock :shock:

So overall SaiKano left me with a huge hollow feeling (as in it was a sad ending, no fairytales here), but the ending wraps things up well.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

argh... don't remind me about Saikano.... damn ending left me so empty.
Armanewb
Astral Realm

Post by Armanewb »

But it was brilliantly done, nothing was overcooked.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Doesn't change the fact that it leaves you feeling empty and worthless. Like... love and life is devoid of meaning.

There are quite a few cases of Deus Ex Machina though.
Armanewb
Astral Realm

Post by Armanewb »

Let's try another, along the same tack as SaiKano

Ai-Ren
9/10

Genres: Supernatural, Romance, Slice of Life

Plot Summary
Ikuru is a terminally ill patient in post- (or mid-) apocalyptic Japan, Having had half his body destroyed in an accident many years ago. There is a special program of treatment available for terminally ill, called AGH-RMS (Ai-Ren for short), which creates a genetically modified behavior in a reanimated body with a fresh memory to accompany and relieve the terminally ill until their death. Ai, as Ikuru names her, lives out the 11 months of her short life expectancy with Ikuru in a small house removed from everything else, whilst around them a fierce war rages.

Thoughts
Much like SaiKano, Ai-Ren shows the futility of man and war, just without much of the fighting. The ending is hollow yet complete, and despite "aliens" being somewhat a part of the storyline, this could very well be where mankind is heading towards, which is what struck me the most. The love between Ai and Ikuru is genuine and warming, and the story flickers between these heartwarming moments and others of stark reality.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Black Cat
slowdown/10
Genre and plot: Assassin type person goes on a Flame of Recca-esque adventure to save the world.

Thoughts: Don't bother. Unless you like your manga blended, compressed, and progressed so fast that each storyline ends before you go "new arc?", go watch the anime.

Mai Hime
maybe/10
Have I rated this? I don't remember...

Genre and plot: Durr... don't need to explain this.

Thoughts: It's okay. It's like Black Cat in that it progresses extremely fast without any breathers in between. The storyline is cornier and wackier than the anime version (Duran can digivolve!) and it's very short. It's also a minor harem story. Guess who's the main character.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Damn school work I'm falling behind. :evil: Once finals are over I'm going on a binge!
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Seimaden
whyaretheregaypeople/10
Plot: A guy loves a girl so much that he's willing to become the demon king.

Thoughts: Mediocre at best. Too much yaoi.... brr.... disgusting....

The story is so forgetable. And the fact that the scenes are arranged so horribly that it's practically impossible to figure out what is going on doesn't really help much. To add fire to the inferno, even though there are 10 volumes in all, the story is really short, and most of the details are explained so ridiculously.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Okay, finally rerated Bleach, I's and Ichigo100%.

Please follow the format provided and submit a SERIOUS review, I will NOT add it if I feel that it isn't within the format and with a proper non biast review.

Return to “Manga & Novel”